Calvin and Hobbes Christmas Classic...

SDS

Hi Rockpile.I wonder about that also...He never 'franchised' / licensed' the C & H stuff so he's not raking in those residuals..I, too, have all the comic compilations, until my dau gets ahold of 'em...

177796[/snapback]

For a couple years, the syndicate that carried Calvin and Hobbes, made him put out a nine-month calendar (I still have them). When the syndicate started to pressure him to do t-shirts, stuffed toys, board games wonder bread, met life, yuck, he said he would retire before he would sell out the characters.

The syndicate was quite pissed since merchandising WAS in his initial agreement and he was backing out of his contract after he became successful (kind of like sports, eh?) Luckily, the franchising part of the contract was resolved and we got a few more years of dailies before he "ran out of new ideas".

He did all the penciling, inking, and lettering... he wanted it to be 100% his creation. Many cartoonists routinely use ghost inkers, letterers, "think tanks" for new ideas, but he did not want to go that route.

I miss C&H but would rather have it shelved than watered down or sold.

If you see ANY C&H mugs, shirts, decals.... they are pirated and not approved by their creator. I know - that is more than you probably ever wanted to know but it is hard to shut me up! :P