This Manning Situation Will Be THE Talk

• Manning is due a $28 million contract bonus before March. If the Colts give him that money, it would trigger the remaining four years of his contract and would put Manning’s salary cap hit for 2012 at $17 million.

• The Colts cannot trade Manning prior to paying him that bonus, so the only two realistic options are to release him before it kicks in or hold onto him for at least another season.

• Cutting Manning would save the Colts approximately $6.6 million toward the 2012 salary cap — Manning’s cap hit would drop from $17 million (with $35.4 million actually paid out to him because of the bonus) to $10.4 million, if Indianapolis released him.

http://nfl.si.com/2011/12/07/colts-stuck-in-peyton-purgatory/?sct=nfl_bf1_a3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cots will draft luck and move manning one way or the other.

Manning's ego won't settle for keepin the seat warm for anyone. Just like favre, montana, Marino, Kelly, etc etc wouldn't.

Especially when the seat changes fast these days. 4 of the 5 1st rd QBs are all starters now. And luck was rated higher than them all. You dont draft players these days to sit them. And when manning is sat mid way thru the season then what for him ?

And this is before w get to the substantial economic /cap benefit colts have to move manning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/06/archie-manning-doubts-that-peyton-and-andrew-luck-want-to-be-teammates/

I can see it now, Peyton joins the Jets or Dolphins to turn the AFC East upside down....So If Peyton does stay, what would it take to jump into Luck sweepstakes because no way in Hell are these guys going to both be in Indy.

Both will be in Indy and Luck will learn from the best. They will use the Farve-Rogers model that Green Bay had, no need to rush Luck into the games unless they have too. Who wouldn't?

The Colts need defense. Judging by their games this year, they are missing 11 men on that side of the ball.

I don't think Indy trades the franchise icon. They sucker some team into a HerschelWalkercopia of draft picks because a bidding war erupts between teams who see Luck as the once in a generation QB.

No way The Colts pass on Luck...Not in a million years...And not for any Trade...If Manning was a few years younger and not coming off a REAL serious injury that would be one thing...

The Colts will take Luck...Take it to the bank... B-)

Cots will draft luck and move manning one way or the other.

Manning's ego won't settle for keepin the seat warm for anyone. Just like favre, montana, Marino, Kelly, etc etc wouldn't.

Especially when the seat changes fast these days. 4 of the 5 1st rd QBs are all starters now. And luck was rated higher than them all. You dont draft players these days to sit them. And when manning is sat mid way thru the season then what for him ?

And this is before w get to the substantial economic /cap benefit colts have to move manning.

Agreed...I think that's why Archie is already talking about how it will be too weird to keep both of them...Manning will lobby the Colts to deal out of #1...When they refuse...which they will...Manning will ask to be dealt... B-)

Both will be in Indy and Luck will learn from the best. They will use the Farve-Rogers model that Green Bay had, no need to rush Luck into the games unless they have too. Who wouldn't?

Geez Bob. I disagree with your takes about once a year. I almost never disagree with you.

That said, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion if you read all the articles and read through this topic.

You might end up being right but I seriously doubt it in this case.

Geez Bob. I disagree with your takes about once a year. I almost never disagree with you.

That said, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion if you read all the articles and read through this topic.

More like bob_sleepless_in_STL.

Lol

Got to admit, I read about the cap issue after I posted. Still... I cannot see Polian passing on Luck. I also saw Manning as a team player. I thought that if they can get by the cap issues and Manning gets healthy then Luck holds the clipboard.

Now, after reading the article about Archie I guess I will end up wrong on my initial assessment.

Thinking back to when Eli was drafted, Daddy Archie seems to take great interest in the careers of the Manning boys.

More like bob_sleepless_in_STL.

Lol

I can only be an expert on one team so make that the Bills.

:lol:

Edited by Bob in STL

The Colts will keep Manning, and draft Luck. If Manning is healthy, he'll play while Luck learns for a year or two. If not, Luck plays right away with Manning being a player/coach for him. It's a win win in Indy.

Luck will not sit. He is ready to play. Manning and Luck will not be on the same roster IMO.