Big Russ and Me-anyone here read it?

Pete

I really enjoyed it. So many stories that will bring back memories for folks who grew up in WNY in the early part of the book and then reading about Tim's post college years and Big Russ's influence on them was quite good.

I read it on the outgoing and return flights of an east coast to west coast trip. I honestly couldn't put it down and had all the emotions from belly laughs to tears welling up in my eyes a couple of times.

It's a great gift. If my dad were still alive it would have been my choice this year.

Read it, I thought it was an excellent book.

Tim Russert went to the same law school as I did (Cleveland-Marshall in Cleveland), and we were lucky enough to have him speak at our commencement in 1994. Since then, I've been a fan of his.

Mike

My only problem with it was that he spent this whole book talking about how great his father was, and then towards the end, you get a paragraph saying that his wife divorced him after twenty-something years of marriage. I guess he couldn't have been that great of a guy....

My only problem with it was that he spent this whole book talking about how great his father was, and then towards the end, you get a paragraph saying that his wife divorced him after twenty-something years of marriage.  I guess he couldn't have been that great of a guy....

176084[/snapback]

lord in heaven, don't assume things like that. You have no idea what could have happened behind closed doors.

I wasn't born and raised in Buffalo, but I enjoyed reading it.

I thought it should have been called "Me and Big Russ". The book is really more a Tim Russert autobiography than about his father. However, he does give the proper amount of recognition to his father and the jesuits for the values he learned.

My only problem with it was that he spent this whole book talking about how great his father was, and then towards the end, you get a paragraph saying that his wife divorced him after twenty-something years of marriage.  I guess he couldn't have been that great of a guy....

176084[/snapback]

I think he gives dad credit for the lessons learned, and the values instilled. Maybe his mother was the issue...who cares...excellent read no matter where you grew up.

I wasn't born and raised in Buffalo, but I enjoyed reading it.

I thought it should have been called "Me and Big Russ". The book is really more a Tim Russert autobiography than about his father. However, he does give the proper amount of recognition to his father and the jesuits for the values he learned.

176501[/snapback]

I pretty much agree with this. Although I enjoyed this book, I though this was a sneaky way for Tim to write a biography without sounding too high and mighty. The Buffalo/WNY connection a reader feels with this book is somewhat generational. Being in my late 30's, I missed the point of some of the chapters. However, my mother-in-law, who's in her mid-50's laughed at parts of the book until she cried.

In summary, it's a pretty good book, but definitely more appreciated by those who can relate to a time gone by.

I pretty much agree with this.  Although I enjoyed this book, I though this was a sneaky way for Tim to write a biography without sounding too high and mighty.  The Buffalo/WNY connection a reader feels with this book is somewhat generational.  Being in my late 30's, I missed the point of some of the chapters.  However, my mother-in-law, who's in her mid-50's laughed at parts of the book until she cried.

In summary, it's a pretty good book, but definitely more appreciated by those who can relate to a time gone by.

176552[/snapback]

I'm 37 and loved it. What didn't you get?