Republicans not willing to tackle budget problems

Refugee

Typical right wing. Say one thing, do the opposite. "Let's fix the budget problems but not pay any more in taxes to do it...unless you're poor."

Republicans, looking for leverage to slash federal spending, created the phony debit-ceiling crisis that led to creation of the Congressional deficit-cutting “supercommittee.” But with the committee close to a deadlock — largely because Republicans will not agree to higher taxes on the rich — and the deadline for an agreement approaching, some Republicans are now talking about undoing the process.

My link

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put together a committee with half Dems, half Reps...and America gets to see that no one can work together to solve this critical issue.

It's almost like they forgot how this committee was formed in reaction to what some experts thought was an apocalyptic event.

Today's election day, sadly not for any of these clowns.

Vote incumbent if you like your government.

Typical right wing. Say one thing, do the opposite. "Let's fix the budget problems but not pay any more in taxes to do it...unless you're poor."

My link

Higher taxes = higher spending:

Curb the spending, prove you can be trusted and then, maybe raise some taxes.

My link

LOL...............What a hoot.

Republicans ARE willing to tackle budget problems, always have been, but just not the way you want.

Rave on MacDuff.......

Higher taxes = higher spending:

Curb the spending, prove you can be trusted and then, maybe raise some taxes.

Exactly right.......

Edited by B-Man

That part was actually accurate.

The funny part, at least to me was that both sides were accusing each other of creating the "Phony Debt Crisis".

Nobody had/took ownership of that bull ****.

Yet the Op-ed writer accuses the R's for it. It was both sides. Typical.

My link

Would you like to point out where anyone has suggested raising taxes on the poor instead of the producers?

Of course you wouldn't...because it has not happened.

The list of possibilities for the name you used on BBMB is getting shorter. There were quite a few really stupid liberals there, but not near as many who were also blatant liars.

Edited by BadgerVid

Would you like to point out where anyone has suggested raising taxes on the poor instead of the producers?

Of course you wouldn't...because it has not happened.

The list of possibilities for the name you used on BBMB is getting shorter. There were quite a few really stupid liberals there, but not near as many who were also blatant liars.

Cain's 9 9 9 plan would effectively raise tax on the poor, as consumption tax is more of a regressive tax. It's a bad tax anyway.

Just flatten the code to 18-20% and move on to other things.

The funny part, at least to me was that both sides were accusing each other of creating the "Phony Debt Crisis".

Nobody had/took ownership of that bull ****.

Yet the Op-ed writer accuses the R's for it. It was both sides. Typical.

No, it was the Republicans. They chose to link budgetary negotiations to raising the debt ceiling.

Not that I necessarily disagree with it...but it was still unilateral.

My link

Republicans, looking for leverage to slash federal spending, created the phony debit-ceiling crisis that led to creation of the Congressional deficit-cutting “supercommittee.” But with the committee close to a deadlock — largely because Republicans will not agree to higher taxes on the rich — and the deadline for an agreement approaching, some Republicans are now talking about undoing the process.

The bolded: how is that "Say one thing, do the other?" :wallbash:

The underlined: well, that was predictable. !@#$ing morons.

No, it was the Republicans. They chose to link budgetary negotiations to raising the debt ceiling.

Not that I necessarily disagree with it...but it was still unilateral.

Well I guess those Social Security checks might not be mailed next week without a compromise on the debt ceiling.

Sorry, It was both sides.

Well I guess those Social Security checks might not be mailed next week without a compromise on the debt ceiling.

Sorry, It was both sides.

Uhm, no. SS checks couldn't be mailed because without raising the debt ceiling government couldn't "fund" its operations without defaulting on its debt.

Uhm, no. SS checks couldn't be mailed because without raising the debt ceiling government couldn't "fund" its operations without defaulting on its debt.

Um, yes, I know.

Point is, it was both sides throwing barbs at each other. Both sides accusing each other of

the "Phony Debt Crisis".

Um, yes, I know.

Point is, it was both sides throwing barbs at each other. Both sides accusing each other of

the "Phony Debt Crisis".

Yes they were throwing barbs, but that's not the issue. GOP used political leverage to push the default to the brink. That's a different issue from runaway spending that worsens the government's fiscal standing, but doesn't push it to a default.

Um, yes, I know.

the "Phony Debt Crisis".

Just so we're clear: the Republicans refuse to vote on a debt ceiling increase without tying a budgetary negotiation to it outside the normal budgetary cycle...and you're blaming the Democrats for manufacturing a crisis.

I think it's kind of scary that we can't pay SS out without borrowing money.

I think it's more they couldn't pay the postage.

Hard do say, though...the government's accounting practices aren't nearly as rigorous as yours. How's that for scary?

Just so we're clear: the Republicans refuse to vote on a debt ceiling increase without tying a budgetary negotiation to it outside the normal budgetary cycle...and you're blaming the Democrats for manufacturing a crisis.

No. We're not clear. My only point, again, was that both side were accusing each other of the "Phony Debt Crisis".

That was my point. Nothing more.

Yes they were throwing barbs, but that's not the issue. GOP used political leverage to push the default to the brink. That's a different issue from runaway spending that worsens the government's fiscal standing, but doesn't push it to a default.

You're right, that not the issue. My statement is that both sides accused each other of the "Phony Debt Crisis".

That statement is true.