We missed Lee Evans big time today

Webster Guy

Say what you want about Donald Jones being fast and strong and more aggressive than Lee or whatever, but today we really missed him.

If you're playing Buffalo next week you do exactly what the Jets did on defense: sit on the routes, disrupt timing, flood the short routes with safeties and LB's to take away the underneath stuff and get some tips/picks. You don't need a great pass rush against us because with Fitz the ball is gone so fast anyway, just stout run support, which they did with average Dlinemen today.

Maybe you get beat deep once or twice (in their case the 50 yarder to Stevie), but overall our west coast approach isn't scaring anybody. Donald Jones was never open today.

I understand it's his first game in awhile, but giving up one of the best deep threats in the game and replacing him with a relatively inexperienced, undrafted guy isn't something you can just do and not pay for.

Some games this year it wasn't a factor, but today we paid for it. I hope that 4th round pick next year pans out for us. I still think that if Nix had known we were going to make a playoff run this year he wouldn't have given up Lee.

even though lee is better than what we have, I don't think he could have saved us today. For starters, he hasn't done that much this season and has been fighting an injury. second, the guy was turning into more of a decoy that an actual threat. He just wasn't aggressive enough to fight for the ball. we need someone who puts in more effort and will fight for the ball, and with talent. I had a lot of doubts about jones being a downfield threat, and I have doubts that easley will ever see the field... it is an area we need to improve on, and I don't think lee evans would have solved anything.

Considering Lee has played in 2 games and has 2 catches this season I'd be willing to make the hypothetical bet that he wouldn't have made a difference today.

So you're saying if Lee was in Buffalo he would've had the same ankle injury happen to him that did down in Baltimore and he wouldn't be playing for us either.

Now there's some logic...

I think we needed Justin Blackmon today, not Lee Evans.

Blackmon has 87 catches for 1039 yards. Against K-State, he had 13 receptions, 205 yards, 15.8 ypc.

I watched him open the middle of the field for other WR's and guys out of the backfield, and said to myself, "That's what the offense needs."

Then I saw where DraftTek had picked him in the most recent draft.

It's too late to Suck for Luck; is it too late to Slack On for Blackmon? :flirt: