Some optimism on the defense...

fixed

I've only seen us blitz in one game, and we won and got 4 picks. A smart football coach would take note of that. Even us TBDers caught on to that.

The fact that we have been drafting heavy D the last 2 years and defense is only getting worse is a testament as to how horrid our Defensive co ordinator is IMHO.

Problem is that we cannot attempt blitzes unless we get to the QB fast. Blitzing the likes of Brady and EManning, with their quick reads & releases, is fraught with huge risks. For Beck, on the other hand, pin your ears back and go after him every play.

I think Danny Batten will shine this week. Gailey plans to use a rotation Sunday between Spencer Johnson, Moats and Danny Batten. Kelsay will be on the other side. With OG Lichtensteiger and LT Trent Williams gone, Locklear and Jammal Brown will be the LT and RT, respectively. This means that Batten/Moats will be going against Locklear. Kelsay will have the Pro Bowler Brown 1 on 1, and Heard will be against 1st year OC Erik Cook, who will need Guard help.

fixed

I've only seen us blitz in one game, and we won and got 4 picks. A smart football coach would take note of that. Even us TBDers caught on to that.

The fact that we have been drafting heavy D the last 2 years and defense is only getting worse is a testament as to how horrid our Defensive co ordinator is IMHO.

Totally agree reddogblitz!!!:thumbsup:

George Edwards sucks. That's how i see it anyway. Until we replace him, our pass rush will be nonexistant, unless we bring 6-7 guys. It doesn't seem like that's in game plan. Get rid of him and I think our pass rush will improve. Just my take on the matter.

George Edwards sucks. That's how i see it anyway. Until we replace him, our pass rush will be nonexistant, unless we bring 6-7 guys. It doesn't seem like that's in game plan. Get rid of him and I think our pass rush will improve. Just my take on the matter.

We have no real pass rushers. But Edwards needs to go, anyway. The offense has improved greatly, with essentially the same personnel MINUS Lee Evans. What's Edward's excuse?

Most teams are dealing with injuries, and by the end of the year ALL teams are going to have some glaring deficiencies. We shall see how well the Bills respond, but as long as Fitz is the QB, I think the Bills will be in playoff contention because they can score.

this.

i don't want to sound like dick jauron but...

"it's hard to play defense in the NFL."

for some perspective, we currently sit 24th in total defense - the patriots are below us at 26, and the packers are 30.

with the way the league works now, if you get to the QB, it's 50/50 you'll get flagged for roughing him. or, he can just kill the ball into the dirt. or better yet, throw up a hail mary to a wide out who will 50/50 draw a pass interference call.

it is much much much more important to have a potent offense in the NFL. if we get the ball, these days, we can score. every single time - against anyone. not every team can say that.

THATS why were 4-2. not "in spite" of our defense, but "because" of our offense.

so watch the young guys on d, root for them, follow their development, call for george edwards head. all that.

but in the end, just remember to enjoy this season, because we're 4-2, and have lost our 2 games by a field goal each on the road, to 4-2 teams. we're for real, were going to smoke the skins, and we will certainly get a wild card this year.

this.

i don't want to sound like dick jauron but...

"it's hard to play defense in the NFL."

for some perspective, we currently sit 24th in total defense - the patriots are below us at 26, and the packers are 30.

with the way the league works now, if you get to the QB, it's 50/50 you'll get flagged for roughing him. or, he can just kill the ball into the dirt. or better yet, throw up a hail mary to a wide out who will 50/50 draw a pass interference call.

it is much much much more important to have a potent offense in the NFL. if we get the ball, these days, we can score. every single time - against anyone. not every team can say that.

THATS why were 4-2. not "in spite" of our defense, but "because" of our offense.

so watch the young guys on d, root for them, follow their development, call for george edwards head. all that.

but in the end, just remember to enjoy this season, because we're 4-2, and have lost our 2 games by a field goal each on the road, to 4-2 teams. we're for real, were going to smoke the skins, and we will certainly get a wild card this year.

Like it, nice post!

Agrtee, Mahem for the jets has like 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles in like 40 plays as he is able to roam the line a little rather than being in a down stance and off line knew where he was comning from and at what angle. Can this edwrads guy and we will improve.

With Sean Merriman out is a huge loss for the Bills. People can say what they want but the guy has and is a man on the field that must be accounted for. The Bills will be run at again and will be attacked but how will the Bills approach this. I think the second half of the year we see many more blitz packages put into play and we come from the outside more. The Bills will be looking at yet another defensive draft picking next year and I feel one or two LB's and one more NT and they have themselves a hell of a defense. Shep is coming on in the middle and next yera will be much more improved. Barnett has proven he is better than Poz was and is. Kelsay will be healthy and has been solid but will Moats turn it on? Coleman may even come around and fill the void. I still think the Bills need a better LB's to be elite. The Bills need two more solid guys that will demand the same respect Merriman did. I also think the coordinator needs to install more of an aggressive style and attack mode defense. The packages need to be more aggressive for the Bills to be considered a decent defensive team like Pitt or the Ravens.

Every defense needs a few star impact players. My hopes for this year revolved around Williams, Dareus, Merriman and McGee.

Kyle's been hurt all year and the prognosis going forward doesn't sound encouraging.

Dareus is still a rookie, still learning.

Merriman played hurt when he played and won't play anymore this season at all.

McGee has been hurt but is thankfully back.

Our offense has created some stars that the national media didn't expect. I'm hoping the defense will create some unexpected stars in the games ahead. It seems to have already produced one - George Wilson - but that's not enough.

Merriman required required a lot of attention from the opposing team's offense. It's not fair to say he did nothing. There were also several holds which he drew that were not called. We would be better off if he was still playing, even if only in a backup/rotational capacity

I wish I could agree with you but I think it took about two games worth of films for opposing OC's to realize that Merriman had lost his athleticism. There's reason they lined him up as a DE on every snap and NEVER moved him around. I don't think opposing offenses were all that worried about him.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

you have optimisim because heard is now on the team???? that alone doesnt even come close to offsetting losing kyle williams. if we somehow got a legit passrusher like a jared allen then i would say that the defense is greatly impoved. heard seems like a solid player, but i dont raise the expectations too high when we sign practice squad players from the giants.