Dareus

aussiebills

Go ahead and shoot me but I have seen many plays where Dareus wasn't double teamed and he didn't do squat as far as a pass rush. Why isn't he bull rushing his man strait to the quarterback in those situations. Come on man. I saw those sports science videos. I give him some slack though. He is a rookie afterall and he is probably just starting to get comfortable.

Be Specific, Game, QTR, Time, Down and distance.

He is not going to win every individual battle, but I have watched him specifically on most Defensive plays, and I've rarely, as in less than 5 times, seen him Get Blocked 1-on1.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the "someone" is the LA Times in 1985.

And the fact that he was benched his rookie year?

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-10-27/sports/sp-12848_1_bruce-smith

Either way that was 26 years ago and the Bills haven't had many successful 1st round picks.

So we got Marshawn Lynch.

Anyone else?

Dareus is big time impact and playing like a veteran.

I would say that all the guys below were a success. I'm not talking probowler setting the league on fire but lunch pail show up every day good to great players. We don't know what CJ is yet because he is playing behind the most under appreciated RB in the league who just happens to be leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage. If you hold that against CJ you really don't know what you are talking about. I was ready to bury McKelvin until Drayton Florence played even worse. Both of those guys might be better than they looked the last week if our defense knew what a QB looked like and how to put one on the ground. No turn overs this past Sunday to make up for the lack of sacks like the last few weeks.

1991 Henry Jones Illinois Defensive Back

1992 John Fina Arizona Tackle

1993 Thomas Smith North Carolina Defensive Back

1994 Jeff Burris Notre Dame Defensive Back

1995 Ruben Brown Pittsburgh Guard

1996 Eric Moulds Mississippi State Wide Receiver

1997 Antowain Smith Houston Running Back

1999 Antoine Winfield Ohio State Defensive Back

2001 Nate Clements Ohio State Defensive Back

2003 Willis McGahee Miami (FL) Running Back

2004 Lee Evans Wisconsin Wide Receiver

2006 Donte Whitner Ohio State Safety

2007 Marshawn Lynch California Running Back

2008 Leodis McKelvin Troy Defensive Back ????????????????

2009 Eric Wood Louisville Center

2010 C.J. Spiller Clemson Running Back ????????????????

2011 Marcell Dareus Alabama Defensive Tackle

Byrd was a second round pick.

So in the last 33 years 1st round rookies that made a huge impact their rookie year.

Dareus

Lynch

~Biscuit

Conlan

Lee Evans?? 48 rec, 9tds. I'd call that an impact.

Edited by stony

Go ahead and shoot me but I have seen many plays where Dareus wasn't double teamed and he didn't do squat as far as a pass rush. Why isn't he bull rushing his man strait to the quarterback in those situations. Come on man. I saw those sports science videos. I give him some slack though. He is a rookie afterall and he is probably just starting to get comfortable.

You're kidding right? Because that sports science video tells us absolutely NOTHING about playing DL. Nothing at all. If you can't see that Dareus is having an impact on the field, perhaps you need to stick to just watching sports science videos.

I think you make a good point about him being a rookie and his relative comfort level. If he continues on the same trajectory, he's gonna be the main focus of film talk among OCs around the league. He's got greatness written all over him.

GO BILLS!!!

I would say that all the guys below were a success. I'm not talking probowler setting the league on fire but lunch pail show up every day good to great players. We don't know what CJ is yet because he is playing behind the most under appreciated RB in the league who just happens to be leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage. If you hold that against CJ you really don't know what you are talking about. I was ready to bury McKelvin until Drayton Florence played even worse. Both of those guys might be better than they looked the last week if our defense knew what a QB looked like and how to put one on the ground. No turn overs this past Sunday to make up for the lack of sacks like the last few weeks.

1991 Henry Jones Illinois Defensive Back

1992 John Fina Arizona Tackle

1993 Thomas Smith North Carolina Defensive Back

1994 Jeff Burris Notre Dame Defensive Back

1995 Ruben Brown Pittsburgh Guard

1996 Eric Moulds Mississippi State Wide Receiver

1997 Antowain Smith Houston Running Back

1999 Antoine Winfield Ohio State Defensive Back

2001 Nate Clements Ohio State Defensive Back

2003 Willis McGahee Miami (FL) Running Back

2004 Lee Evans Wisconsin Wide Receiver

2006 Donte Whitner Ohio State Safety

2007 Marshawn Lynch California Running Back

2008 Leodis McKelvin Troy Defensive Back ????????????????

2009 Eric Wood Louisville Center

2010 C.J. Spiller Clemson Running Back ????????????????

2011 Marcell Dareus Alabama Defensive Tackle

Their rookie year ?

Troupe pick is turning into a disaster. A 2nd round 300+ pounder that can't stay on the field and has shown nothing when he does. Because there was no faith in him we had to use a 1st round the very next season for the same position, passing on badly needed help at WR (green) or in the secondary (Peterson)

We drafted Troup as a NT and Dareus as a DE.

Drafted dareus as an interior DT/NT indicating they were unsure if troupe would grow into it. Pretty simple

Dude, they said right after drafting him that he would be a DE. Please don't ask for a link, look it up yourself if you really need a link to satisfy you. Nevermind, here is a link(see 4th paragragh) http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-sign-top-pick-Dareus-Searcy-and-RB-White/33c49335-3296-4b95-837c-9898d58eee1e

Edited by Dopey

Dude, they said right after drafting him that he would be a DE. Please don't ask for a link, look it up yourself if you really need a link to satisfy you. Nevermind, here is a link(see 4th paragragh) http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-sign-top-pick-Dareus-Searcy-and-RB-White/33c49335-3296-4b95-837c-9898d58eee1e

True and true, and true. He is either a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. Playing him at NT would be a waste of his freakish athleticism for a man that size. He's a run-stopper but his forte is is more penetration than take-up-blocker guy.

This may sound outlandish at first but seriously think about,

When was the last 1st round draft pick that made an impact for the Buffalo Bills in his rookie season?

Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas all didn't have spectacular rookie years.

Dareus has made a huge impact out of the gate and was responsible for the tipped pass that Florence ran back that broke the Patriots winning streak.

It certainly appears as if Dareus is the most impactful 1st round rookie in Buffalo Bills history.

In my opinion, you're WAY premature, WSS.

It was obvious that Jim Kelly , Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas were going to be great players after their rookie years.

Kelly of course wasn't a true rookie but on his very first drive for the Bills in the preseason against Chicago, he led the Bills on a long scoring drive. It was very obvious that Buffalo HAD NEVER SEEN A QB TALENT LIKE KELLY BEFORE. OBVIOUS.

Does anyone remember the Marty Lyons game against the Jets during Kelly's rookie year? It was yet another moment during that season where you said to yourself, "there's a new sheriff in town and we've never seen anyone like him." Kelly started every game, played well and showed the flashes of greatness we were all expecting. No one was surprised when he made the Pro Bowl in just his second season.

Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks as a rookie and even playing overweight, his elite talent was obvious as he started 13 games and recovered 4 fumbles. No one was surprised when he got 15 sacks in just his second season.

Thurman Thomas started every game as a rookie and had over 1000 yards from scrimmage.

Dareus is playing well and has a chance to put up a rookie season comparable to those of other Bills greats. We have at least 10 more weeks to see if he can do so.

In my opinion, you're WAY premature, WSS.

It was obvious that Jim Kelly , Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas were going to be great players after their rookie years.

Kelly of course wasn't a true rookie but on his very first drive for the Bills in the preseason against Chicago, he led the Bills on a long scoring drive. It was very obvious that Buffalo HAD NEVER SEEN A QB TALENT LIKE KELLY BEFORE. OBVIOUS.

Does anyone remember the Marty Lyons game against the Jets during Kelly's rookie year? It was yet another moment during that season where you said to yourself, "there's a new sheriff in town and we've never seen anyone like him." Kelly started every game, played well and showed the flashes of greatness we were all expecting. No one was surprised when he made the Pro Bowl in just his second season.

Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks as a rookie and even playing overweight, his elite talent was obvious as he started 13 games and recovered 4 fumbles. No one was surprised when he got 15 sacks in just his second season.

Thurman Thomas started every game as a rookie and had over 1000 yards from scrimmage.

Dareus is playing well and has a chance to put up a rookie season comparable to those of other Bills greats. We have at least 10 more weeks to see if he can do so.

I'm not saying he is an all time great, I'm saying he is having a great rookie year.

1st round draft picks playing great during their rookie year are very few and far between in Bills history.

It's been 4 seasons since we've had a rookie to get excited about in Lynch.

(and I'd say that Jim Kelly had the most disappointing rookie season of all since he left Buffalo in the dust, tore it up in Houston and left Buffalo with no sign of ever returning.)

Edited by Why So Serious?

Drafted dareus as an interior DT/NT indicating they were unsure if troupe would grow into it. Pretty simple

They drafted Dareus because he was a premier prospect at a critical position. And considering the fact that we are scoring the 2nd most points per game in the NFL (behind only the packers - and barely behind them at that...), I would have to argue how much we "need" a WR.

Not in the reality I live in, but good try.

(Seems like a straight up lie)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/

You can't call someone a liar for something they didn't even say.

I did not say that Bruce won Rookie of the year...

I said that he was the AFC Defensive Rookie of the year You really should know what you are talking about before you pat yourself on the back trying to look smarter than someone else and calling them a liar.

Or should I just insert comments you didn't make, pat myself on the back, and try to make you look dumb for something you did not even say.

Get back to me when you re-read the post and look it up hoping to bash me again while patting yourself on the back.

Actually just look here...

http://www.profootballhof.com/mobile/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=280

Looks like a big bold lie to me. NOT

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

You can't call someone a liar for something they didn't even say.

I did not say that Bruce won Rookie of the year...

I said that he was the AFC Defensive Rookie of the year You really should know what you are talking about before you pat yourself on the back trying to look smarter than someone else and calling them a liar.

Or should I just insert comments you didn't make, pat myself on the back, and try to make you look dumb for something you did not even say.

Get back to me when you re-read the post and look it up hoping to bash me again while patting yourself on the back.

Actually just look here...

http://www.profootballhof.com/mobile/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=280

Looks like a big bold lie to me. NOT

The AP AFC Defensive rookie of the year is really the official one.

I cannot find one other mention of NFLPA rookie of the year, It appears this award was only one by Bruce Smith in 1985 on the link you sent.

So good awesome.

I guess Bruce didn't get benched his rookie year and struggle a little even though its on record, I guess he was NFLPA afc defensive rookie of the year.

Great add him to the list.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The AP AFC Defensive rookie of the year is really the official one.

I cannot find one other mention of NFLPA rookie of the year, It appears this award was only one by Bruce Smith in 1985 on the link you sent.

So good awesome.

I guess Bruce didn't get benched his rookie year and struggle a little even though its on record, I guess he was NFLPA afc defensive rookie of the year.

Great add him to the list.

Didn't realiie awards voted on by the NFL players didn't count?

I suppose the Heisman Trophy doesn't count either.

In any case you read it there, did he win it? I guess that makes me a liar.

Even if it isn't the AP it still leads to the fact he had a good season, which is what you are saying was not the case. Unless it was the AFC mediocre award?

What else ya got?

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Then you Better contact bills official site and have them change his position from DT.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Marcell-Dareus/b8a50345-19f8-45e5-a8cc-6acc6b085633

Dareus typically lines up in the middle. He did at alabama he does for bills. In 4-3 that's DT, 3-4 NT.