Pollock Article about the defense

cvanvol

The Bills D did play 3 pretty good offenses in the Pats*, Raiders, and Eagles. In the other two games they shut down the Chiefs and had a bad second half against Cincy.

I think that the coming weeks against will tell just where the defense is. McGee is back so that helps the secondary, Merriman hopefully will continue to improve, and the team plays lesser offenses. If its still getting gashed consistently there is concern. But if its stiffens up against the NFCE opponents its a good sign its coming together more.

he did not. it's been a well-worn statement that's been used for many years.

you can disagree with the cliche' but just because you haven't heard it, doesn't make it foreign or "made up."

gees. why is this so difficult.

jw

+1

It depends upon what the defense is. We sorta run a 5 man defensive line, with 3 interior linemen and two LB/DE types to seal the edges. (With Vick, this was even more important and kept the OLB at home more). The front 5 and especially the front 3 are spending a lot of plays by tying up two blockers and clogging running and passing lanes in the middle. That leaves the interior linebackers and the safeties (which you might call safety/LB hybrid) clean to make tackles. So you expect them to make more tackles than in the days of COVER-2 where the only time a guy with the football got near them is when he had gone by the d-line and the linebackers & was steps away from being in the clear. That phrase was based on a standard 4-3 formation statistical profile. You might also tabulate the number of passes batted, deflected, defended and denied by the linebackers and defensive linemen and say that the safeties are not doing their job there because these run defenders had to take up the slack.

Mark Twain: There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

His reply:

"Chris,

The point of that piece wasn't to criticize the three Bills' safeties, they're all playing very well. My reference was to the fact the linebackers have been so ineffective that the three of them have made way more tackles than they should have ... given their position.

That cliche is normally used among coaches, though I've had a few say it to me. Their point is, if your safeties are making a lot of tackles, the line and linebackers aren't doing their job, meaning tackles are being made in the secondary after substantial gains.

All the best,

Chuck"

Well this thread was pretty bad but I think some saw where I was coming from, I didnt mean to accuse a media member of making up quotes.

I've heard it for years - it's hardly new. If a safety is the leading tackler, it's a pretty sure sign that your run D completely sucks. That's a highly accurate description of the Bills run D.

If your safety is playing 15 yards back and making the tackles, then you are right. However in today's NFL safeties not only defend against deep passing, but are used in blitz packages and run support. Our DL took on their blockers, creating holes for the safety to penetrate and stop the run- George Wilson, and Byrd on their big stops in the backfield. I wouldn't say our run D sucks at all. We have faced some of the best rushing and passing attacks in the NFL, and won,courtesy of this D, and it's turnovers. (1 game=maybe a fluke, 2 games=hmmm?, 3 games= maybe these turnovers are not luck???)16 turnovers in 5 games! (that is more than a 3 turnover/game avg)

KC-Charles

Raiders-McFadden

NE- 4 ints

Bengals- lost

Eagles- Vick 4 turnovers (i personally consider Vick and McCoy to be a powerful rushing tandem)