Brad Smith

That's not saying much. Outside of Barnett, most of Nix's FA signings have been disastrous. How about that 2010 draft? Nix was a ridiculously bad hire and his first two years have proven that.

I like Gailey but he has me scratching my head lately. The inability to adjust to defenses that have obviously adjusted to what the Bills are doing is mind boggling. I'm holding out hope for him but I don't see this team being much more than a .500 team next year and in the 3rd year that is simply not good enough. :bag:

In early October, people were praising Nix and Gailey. Now people are not so gracious. I still think they are better than anybody the Bills have had for the last decade or so, but lately some of their actions are drawing criticism (justified, in my opinion). Let's see how they do this week with a whole new offense. Will the plays make use of each player's unique abilities, or will they just expect a different group of backs and receivers to run the same predictable offense?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DROP THIGPEN TO THIRD STRING NOW. Make Brad Smith the backup, and then START HIM OVER FITZ! Yah I said it.

There's your spark. There's what's been missing. What exactly is the holdup? To all you delusional people out there, who think Smith plays like he doesn't want to be here, I give you Ryan Fitzpatrick as the quintessential example of a disinterested player. This team has ZERO leadership. Locker-room, or otherwise. We can't get in the end zone, and our head coach/O.C. can't see a way forward. It's time for a change in our fundamental approach to offense. A good place to start is with an actual football player as our signal caller.

So I had a wild thought today. After watching Brad Smith this year, one thing has become very clear to me. Brad Smith is not a WR. He is a QB. He was a pretty good one at Missouri. He was very productive in an option based offense. Newly aquired RB Tashard Choice was pretty productive in an option attack at Georgia Tech. Since the offense has been sputtering, I would recommend putting in a package that utilizes Smith at QB, and Spiller and Choice alternating at RB. I believe it could be similar to what Denver is running with Tebow, but these two running backs as well as Smith could be very effective in this type of offense. I'm not talking about running the wildcat on every play. I'm talking about a package of plays that can be run on any down, alternating with the standard Fitz run offense. What have we got to lose at this point? May as well try and put players in a situation they are familiar with and have had success with. I know this probably won't be a popular idea, but I figure, what could it hurt? We are going nowhere fast.

For all the potential weapons we have on out offense we sure don't use very many of them that's for sure !!!

Brad Smith to this point is more of a waste of money as far as out put than what the people said Kelsay was worth but Kelsay has played pretty darn good this year last week he was one of the only ones that showed up & thanks to B Smith Fitz has another INT to his total , i can think of other ways to spend 15 million !!!

Interesting article about how little Brad Smith is being utilized, same with CJ Spiller at 17 offensive touches in 4 games.

"The Bills tried to get Smith more involved as a wideout last week to modest results. He has converted four first downs in seven runs this year, but the team hasn't used him much in the Wildcat."

http://profootballta...yet-in-buffalo/

So the Buffalo Bills (3-0) lose a game to the Cincinnati Bengals (1-2) while only scoring 13 points on offense. A TD run by Fred Jackson and 2 FG's by Lindell

Fitzscreamy 20-34 for 199 yards 0 TD's 0 Ints & Fred Jackson 17 attempts for 66 yards, 1 TD and 21 yards the longest run. which means Jackson had 16 rushes for only 2.8 YPC avg.

Some glaring stats from that game-4 of 14 3rd down conversions- 273 total yards to 458 yards. against a rookie QB who had 287 yards passing. Bills 5.4 yards per pass. Bills avg per rush 4.0-Bengals 5.3. The Bills won the turnover differential but lost in time of possion.

The Bengals did a pretty good job of shutting down both Fitz and Freddy, and it kinda made me wonder why the Bills didn't try something other then Fitz in the shotgun, spread formation with an empty backfield for most of the game. Fitz was only sacked once in this game but it sure looked like he wasn't setting up properly, and he was hurrying his passes. He was pretty wild on some of his throws in the first half. So my question is...why not let Brad Smith have more touches when the starting players aren't doing so well? Seriously, this game looked like Turk Schonert was back calling the plays and was determined to keep throwing the ball even when the QB wasn't playing very effectively...eerily similar to two years ago with the bads at QB.

Gailey came out with the game plan of throw- throw- throw -punt against a good defense. The man is clearly very creative in the passing game, but what to do when the passing game isn't working every well...just keep throwing it? Then with 2 min to go after getting an INT from the rookie QB the Bills finally decide to run Fred Jackson and the Bills get a score out of it.

17-3 at the half, clearly the 2 turnovers by the Bengals the difference in the game

The Bengals open the 2nd half by running the ball to take pressure off the QB by running the ball more. The Bills followed suite by also running the ball more, the difference here was the Bengals were very sure tacklers and only allowed a FG in the 4th QTR on that long Bills drive.

4 min to go in the game and the score tied 20-20.... Its times like this that make me want the Bills have an offense that can pound the ball and run the clock, rather then throw throw throw. 3rd and short does the Bills short yardage team put any fear into opposing defenses,no! Mostly because the Bills utilize the same offensive players most of the game to minimize substitutions.

I look back at this game and think that there will be other games where the QB is not playing up to his past ability, and the RB is not playing up to his past ability. Whether its they have the flu, or are slightly injured, or the opposing defense is simply keying on them and shutting them down.. Did Chan Gailey keep playing Fitz and keep calling shotgun passing plays in hopes that he regains his rhythm or accuracy...I dunno. All I do know is Its good to have a back up plan. I know its hindsight now to talk about this, but other teams have more then one main RB, they usually now have 2-3 and go with the RB with the hot hand. More of a balanced offensive game plan by running the ball more often and utilizing more then just one RB.

I watched that Raiders- Patriots game and the Patriots went to more of a running attack to help take pressure off QB Tom Brady (like he needs it) and it worked as the Patriots beat Oakland 31-19

Anyway, Jackson got 17 carries, 5 catches =22 touches. Spiller 3 carries, 1 catch.= 4 touches, Smith 2 catches, no carries 2 touches

Bills Play by play...punt-punt-punt -FG- defensive TD- FJ TD---2nd half - Punt- 9 min drive for a FG- Punt

All this stuff might have already been hashed over, sorry if I missed it . I know its only one loss, but it could turn into more losses if the Bills don't find a way to run the ball more when the QB isn't playing so great. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents before Sunday

Wow. after re-reading my own post from week 5 after the Cincy loss, the Bills first. It reminded me of how lame Chan Gailey is starting to look now after losing to the NY Giants by 3 points, then the Jets-Cowboys and Dolphins by 106 against to 26 points for, all blow outs. Let me say again...wow!

The man clearly has no plan B, he can't make adjustments to the offensive scheme when opponents gave figured out how to stop it, or perhaps he is so dense that he simply refuses to try and make adjustments. From 5-2 to now 5-5 and looking like 5-11 :doh:

While the Wildcat and QB option are plays that could work with Brad Smith. these should be utilized quite a bit ONLY if Fitz is having a tough time. Fitz is a top ten QB when he is on his game and the offensive passing game is working. he proved that in the first 5 games they won. stating that, the best RB/WR the Bills had was Freddy Jackson who is now on IR. So that leaves WR Stevie Johnson and TE Scott Chandler as Fitz's best options in the passing game.

If the problem with the offense is opponents bumping the receivers on the line to disrupt the timing of those short quick passes, then instead of the keeping the TE in to block, why not start TE Chandler at other positions and always keep him available to catch passes. Utilize 2 TE's and get Chandler more involved in the passing game. He is big enough to not be jammed by puny DB's and should be able always be open for Fitz to hit.

Another thought is constantly calling roll outs and as much misdirection as possible, even using the old counter trey. If the traditional offense isn't working then pull out all stops to win the freaking game and not just shotgun passing plays over and over! open up the run playbook and use reverses, fake reverses. toss sweeps .... anything to make a first down to move the chains. If the defense has its ears pinned back and is intent on stopping the QB and screens aren't working, then run it down their throats... one way or the other!

Lastly, now that FJ is on IR, I gotta wonder if Spiller and Smith will finally get more touches

Wow. after re-reading my own post from week 5 after the Cincy loss, the Bills first. It reminded me of how lame Chan Gailey is starting to look now after losing to the NY Giants by 3 points, then the Jets-Cowboys and Dolphins by 106 against to 26 points for, all blow outs. Let me say again...wow!

The man clearly has no plan B, he can't make adjustments to the offensive scheme when opponents gave figured out how to stop it, or perhaps he is so dense that he simply refuses to try and make adjustments. From 5-2 to now 5-5 and looking like 5-11 :doh:

While the Wildcat and QB option are plays that could work with Brad Smith. these should be utilized quite a bit ONLY if Fitz is having a tough time. Fitz is a top ten QB when he is on his game and the offensive passing game is working. he proved that in the first 5 games they won. stating that, the best RB/WR the Bills had was Freddy Jackson who is now on IR. So that leaves WR Stevie Johnson and TE Scott Chandler as Fitz's best options in the passing game.

If the problem with the offense is opponents bumping the receivers on the line to disrupt the timing of those short quick passes, then instead of the keeping the TE in to block, why not start TE Chandler at other positions and always keep him available to catch passes. Utilize 2 TE's and get Chandler more involved in the passing game. He is big enough to not be jammed by puny DB's and should be able always be open for Fitz to hit.

Another thought is constantly calling roll outs and as much misdirection as possible, even using the old counter trey. If the traditional offense isn't working then pull out all stops to win the freaking game and not just shotgun passing plays over and over! open up the run playbook and use reverses, fake reverses. toss sweeps .... anything to make a first down to move the chains. If the defense has its ears pinned back and is intent on stopping the QB and screens aren't working, then run it down their throats... one way or the other!

Lastly, now that FJ is on IR, I gotta wonder if Spiller and Smith will finally get more touches

Maybe he just feels that his offensive line cannot control the line of scrimmage and running slow developing plays is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe he just feels that his offensive line cannot control the line of scrimmage and running slow developing plays is a recipe for disaster.

I did say ....""Another thought is constantly calling roll outs and as much misdirection as possible, even using the old counter trey. If the traditional offense isn't working then pull out all stops to win the freaking game and not just shotgun passing plays over and over! open up the run playbook and use reverses, fake reverses. toss sweeps .... anything to make a first down to move the chains. If the defense has its ears pinned back and is intent on stopping the QB and screens aren't working, then run it down their throats... one way or the other!""

Granted the reverses and toss sweeps are slow to develop so just fake them and get the defense going one way and take it the other way. I'm just staying anything other the shotgun passing plays that are ineffective.It just seems to me that Fitz in the shotgun and calling pass pass pass has been resulting in 3 downs and punt for the Bills over and over, with the craptastic defense the Bills field its also seems more moronic to go 3 downs and punt and put to the defense back on the field.

I watch Gailey use the spread with 3 wide and the TE off the line and as a receiver, then the very next play is a play action with no TE in pass mode. then back in as TE, then 4 Wide and no TE. Jeez, if he is one of the top receivers on the team....then Kellen Winslow Sr him and work him. NFN, but Chandler managed 71 yards on FIVE receptions against the Dolphins...double those receptions and what do you have...possibly 140 yards on 10, now imagine 15 touches! I just don't get why this guy isn't getting the ball more often!

The Jets have shown they are susceptible to being run on, the Bronco's did it for 125 yards on the ground! yeah they have Revis island, so why throw it?

Excellent post. I want to see more people respond to his. I think Nix and Gailey are the best GM and coach combination that the Bills have had in over a decade, but I question some of their decisions. The vanilla defense and the long passes on third down are two things that many people have been writing about on this board since last week. The lack of touches for Smith and Spiller when the game plan wasn't working is another question people have been asking. Based on very little data, it seems as though Roosevelt has better hands than Smith. He's been active for two games and I think the only time he got the ball was on that pass deflection that came his way. Fred has had a great season so far, they could have used him more to grind out the yardage and use up the clock, but they went to long passes instead. If anyone actually remembers the original "circle the wagons" comeback game, the reasons the Bills were able to come back is because the Oilers kept throwing the ball and the incomplete passes gave the Bills time to come back. History repeats itself.

I think Nix is just waiting to put more pieces in place next year. He knows he is probably half way through putting talent back on the team after 5 or 6 empty drafts. He gets a lot of money to spend in 2013 when teams must actually spend almost all of the entire salary cap. He knew going in the team isn't winning anything this year. That is why you don't hear much from him. He can't say that to the fans. Gailey is working with what he has, seeing who can do what after no OTAs and little training camp. Almost like a long preseason. They got lucky with turnover city for 4 or 5 games, beginning with a gift on the opening kickoff in KC. Everyone's hopes got up, but the situation was what it was. Young team, fresh faces and who knew who could do what. The problem is the fans and the media jump on it and anoint them the next big thing but Gailey and Nix know that is probably not so. It is all done in bits and pieces over time. Losing Easley and Parrish and Evans right out of the box hurt more than people realize. The goods news is the O Line is getting some depth now, Spiller will get 6 full games of touches to see what he is all about and we got at least 4 starters out of this draft. Plus Merriman finally got the surgery he should have gotten two years ago. Wood, Kyle Williams come back next year. Edwards is replaced by Wannstadt. It is all good. Just treat the rest of this year as preseason for next year. It is the only way to look at it. This team is really loading up in my opinion. And they'll have the $$ to pay them all in 2013. Things are looking up, believe it or not.

I think Nix is just waiting to put more pieces in place next year. He knows he is probably half way through putting talent back on the team after 5 or 6 empty drafts. He gets a lot of money to spend in 2013 when teams must actually spend almost all of the entire salary cap. He knew going in the team isn't winning anything this year. That is why you don't hear much from him. He can't say that to the fans. Gailey is working with what he has, seeing who can do what after no OTAs and little training camp. Almost like a long preseason. They got lucky with turnover city for 4 or 5 games, beginning with a gift on the opening kickoff in KC. Everyone's hopes got up, but the situation was what it was. Young team, fresh faces and who knew who could do what. The problem is the fans and the media jump on it and anoint them the next big thing but Gailey and Nix know that is probably not so. It is all done in bits and pieces over time. Losing Easley and Parrish and Evans right out of the box hurt more than people realize. The goods news is the O Line is getting some depth now, Spiller will get 6 full games of touches to see what he is all about and we got at least 4 starters out of this draft. Plus Merriman finally got the surgery he should have gotten two years ago. Wood, Kyle Williams come back next year. Edwards is replaced by Wannstadt. It is all good. Just treat the rest of this year as preseason for next year. It is the only way to look at it. This team is really loading up in my opinion. And they'll have the $$ to pay them all in 2013. Things are looking up, believe it or not.

Wow! An optimist at TBD. Thought I was the only one. Breath of fresh air. I will watch all of the remaining games in the same light. Thanks 8and8