Inconsistent Officiating

Haloti Ngata was fined $15,000 for his blind side helmet first hit on Sanchez that resulted in a fumble returned for a TD last week. The league cited roughing the passer by leading with the helmet as the reason for the fine.

I brought up this hit last week as an example of the horrid inconsistency in officiating in the league today. I just wanted to highlight that call again since the no call obviously affected that game (at that point) and reiterate that a different crew, on a different day, might have thrown that flag.

Someone responded to me last week that the Ngata hit was legal. Well, the NFL disagreed. That's fine, but that play is just another example that the NFL's rule enforcement is so bad that they're undermining the game at this point, which is exactly the opposite of why you have rules in sport in the first place.

I don't see how the league can levy fines for "illegal" hits when the play on the field wasn't flagged.

If you're talking about consistency, then I think the rule should be: a player can only be fined for a hit that is called a penalty during the game.

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever read. Because the officials on the field did not see it or made a mistake a deliberate dangerous hit should not be punished by the league? How does that make things more consistent? WTF are you thinking? :wallbash:

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous nonsense I have ever read. Because the officials on the field did not see it or made a mistake a deliberate dangerous hit should not be punished by the league? How does that make things more consistent? WTF are you thinking? :wallbash:

Whoa, there, unlax--such a passionate response!

If the goal is consistency, I think my idea makes sense. Why should league officials second-guess the referees' decisions after the game, and issue fines for things that weren't called penalties?

It's part of the game to have missed calls. My problem is the post hoc issuance of fines.

Whoa, there, unlax--such a passionate response!

If the goal is consistency, I think my idea makes sense. Why should league officials second-guess the referees' decisions after the game, and issue fines for things that weren't called penalties?

It's part of the game to have missed calls. My problem is the post hoc issuance of fines.

Why? I agree that based on your explanation thus far, it makes no sense. If the refs head is turned, it's a free for all suddenly? Knowing there are cameras there to enforce what isn't seen is an important part of keeping things clean.

Edited by NoSaint

Instead of always blindly standing behind their refs the league could come out and say Mr. Official F***ed up the call and is being fired/fined for being such a bad ref.

O, the league could also make their refs FULL TIME, but no....

Instead of always blindly standing behind their refs the league could come out and say Mr. Official F***ed up the call and is being fired/fined for being such a bad ref.

The position is so heavily scrutinized. When was the last time there was any consensus on great calls from a ref. Every call even if right is hated by half the fans. Last thing the league needs is a public tally of bad calls to point at. Handle it internally. With your full time refs. Is there a reason not to be full time? Just money? I'm sure the NFL can both afford it and find productive uses for their time. Maybe I'm missing something?

Haloti Ngata was fined $15,000 for his blind side helmet first hit on Sanchez that resulted in a fumble returned for a TD last week. The league cited roughing the passer by leading with the helmet as the reason for the fine.

I brought up this hit last week as an example of the horrid inconsistency in officiating in the league today. I just wanted to highlight that call again since the no call obviously affected that game (at that point) and reiterate that a different crew, on a different day, might have thrown that flag.

Someone responded to me last week that the Ngata hit was legal. Well, the NFL disagreed. That's fine, but that play is just another example that the NFL's rule enforcement is so bad that they're undermining the game at this point, which is exactly the opposite of why you have rules in sport in the first place.

Great example. Its definitely a problem.

You nailed it. Until they are full time, no one should expect much out of it. Why are the refs basically "amateurs" for a Billion dollar company?

Full time refs

Priests that can marry

Legalize marijuana

Why is this all so difficult?

NFL refs are far from amateurs.

They all have a wealth of experience in officiating and are the best available and rise through the ranks over the years. They also get paid 50k/year for part time work.

Very true, but it still rings strange that NFL refs have second jobs - especially in season

Very true, but it still rings strange that NFL refs have second jobs - especially in season

What's so strange about that? Working Mon-Fri then fly out to whereever they need to work on Sunday. What do they have to do Mon-Fri that would preclude them from having another job? Maybe they want to make more than 50K a year and/or would be bored sitting around all week doing nothing.

What's strange is people thinking being a NFL ref is a full time gig. We are talking about one day a week for 17 weeks and a few more weeks of playoffs for some of them. It's not like Hockey for example where there are are games almost every night of the week for a much longer season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

What's so strange about that? Working Mon-Fri then fly out to whereever they need to work on Sunday. What do they have to do Mon-Fri that would preclude them from having another job? Maybe they want to make more than 50K a year and/or would be bored sitting around all week doing nothing.

What's strange is people thinking being a NFL ref is a full time gig. We are talking about one day a week for 17 weeks and a few more weeks of playoffs for some of them. It's not like Hockey for example where there are are games almost every night of the week for a much longer season.

First off, it's a little more than that. But not much. And thats the problem.

Pay these guys.. what? 100k-150k/year? Have them going to training camps and practices and reffing scrimmages. Be around live action more so the game slows down for them. And also so they can teach teams what they are looking at/for when making calls.

The reffing can and should be a bigger part of the NFL life/culture. Since it's not, everyone is suffering for it.

First off, it's a little more than that. But not much. And thats the problem.

Pay these guys.. what? 100k-150k/year? Have them going to training camps and practices and reffing scrimmages. Be around live action more so the game slows down for them. And also so they can teach teams what they are looking at/for when making calls.

The reffing can and should be a bigger part of the NFL life/culture. Since it's not, everyone is suffering for it.

Agreed.

There are a ton of things they could do Monday through Friday to benefit the shield. Work with teams in practice, review film, from the week before, help the competition committee, help train younger guys so the next generation is more prepped when they get there, work with younger players on safety issues/rules education --- instead of being a job on the side for 20-30 days, you could make rules (by proxy safety also) a real priority.

Edited by NoSaint

does anyone know for sure what an NFL official's yearly schedule actually consists of? And how much they are paid?

The National Football League (NFL) pays referees anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season. When you consider that the league plays 16 games and referees are considered part-time employees, you get a better sense of the disparity. But do not feel so bad for them, not only are there only 16 games in the schedule, they also get one-week intervals.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_60/77b_sports_business.html

The NFL referee salary (National Football League) ranges from USD 25,000 to USD 70,000 per season i.e. a season with 16 games with one-week intervals. The NFL official’s average annual income of USD 27, 000 is lowest when compared to the NBA officials earn about USD 128,000 per annum, the NHL officials earn USD139, 000 per annum and the major-league baseball officials earn about USD 141, 000 per annum. On the other hand, NFL officials are not full-time employees and work lesser as against the other sports.

http://www.job-employment-guide.com/nfl-referee-salary.html

At $35k/year I dont blame the officials for sucking. The NFL needs to FIX this, immediately.