Blown call in Arizona-NYG game

bills44

With just over 2:30 left, and AZ up 3, Victor Cruz fumbled (he went down, without being touched, and then dropped the ball), but was ruled down.

On the next play, Manning hit Nicks for the GW TD.

These officials are !@#$ing clowns.

Is my memory just fading or was there a time when you almost never heard of officials needing to "interpret" the rules? Now it's a weekly event.

Considering how bad officiating is now, can they just get rid of replay already? Half the time they screw up the call anyway and the other half it's "not reviewable".

With just over 2:30 left, and AZ up 3, Victor Cruz fumbled (he went down, without being touched, and then dropped the ball), but was ruled down.

On the next play, Manning hit Nicks for the GW TD.

These officials are !@#$ing clowns.

Peter King showed the rule on the SNF pregame & if you follow the rule to the letter of the law, the call was correct since the player had no intention to advance the ball at the time he put it on the ground.

Now Dungy disagreed, but ever since his dirty players took out Jim Kelly's knee in 1994, when he was one of the dirtiest DCs that year at Minnesota, I've had zero respect for him.

Is my memory just fading or was there a time when you almost never heard of officials needing to "interpret" the rules? Now it's a weekly event.

Considering how bad officiating is now, can they just get rid of replay already? Half the time they screw up the call anyway and the other half it's "not reviewable".

Since replay came back, many of the officials are hesitant to make the call. It's as if they're afraid it's going to be overturned or something. Just make the call and if it's wrong, it's wrong.

As for this call, I can see how Cruz "gave himself up", but that's a judgement call. For as long as I can remember, if the ball carrier takes a knee, the play is blown dead. The question with this play was whether or not the official thought Cruz "took a knee" or if he just fell.

Frankly, they should change this rule...make it so that if a player does anything like this, he MUST be touched by the other team for the play to be dead. The only exceptions should be on kickoff returns and when the QB takes a knee.

Peter King showed the rule on the SNF pregame & if you follow the rule to the letter of the law, the call was correct since the player had no intention to advance the ball at the time he put it on the ground.

Now Dungy disagreed, but ever since his dirty players took out Jim Kelly's knee in 1994, when he was one of the dirtiest DCs that year at Minnesota, I've had zero respect for him.

I recall Plaxico Burress catching a pass in his rookie year in Pittsburgh.. 15-20 yards.. crossing pattern.. and had to dive to make the catch. He was so excited to make the catch, he sprung to his feet and spiked the ball. Guess he forgot he wasn't in college anymore, and wasn't ruled down after falling to the ground.

Guess what?

It was ruled a fumble. 1st down, defensive team.

Frankly, they should change this rule...make it so that if a player does anything like this, he MUST be touched by the other team for the play to be dead. The only exceptions should be on kickoff returns and when the QB takes a knee.

I remember a game a couple years ago (can't remember the teams/players) where someone gave themselves up, or they fell/slipped, but no one on the defense touched them, so they jumped up and took off for the endzone.