What's up with us?

Slackware

Why? Because we're FANS!!!

I live near a bunch of Steeler's Clones, they do it too; all fans everywhere do it. It's why the NFL is so popular, teams become part of a local identity. Go anywhere, say you're from Buffalo, and very soon the subject of the BIlls will come up.

Our teams become part of the DNA of our local culture. Why do small towns across America shut down on Friday nights? Because the local HS team is "our" team, the names may change each year, but they will always be our team.

By the way, take a drive out of the city or suburbia, find a relatively successful small town high school team, and go to a Friday night game (preferably the Homecoming game). It reminds you why you love the game, and this country.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to pose a question here. Fans often use the word "us" and "we" when we talk about our favorite team. I personally have done this myself, but I fight it as much as I can. My issue is that I don't believe that we are part of the team exactly. Unless you are on the coaching staff, administrative staff, (GM and those above him and such) scouting staff, 53-man roster, reserve list, or practice squad, you are not officially part of the team by any means. Because of the seahawks retiring the #12 in favor of the fans being considered the 12th man, season ticket holders can make a case for being a factor for the team. Even before that of course, but the silent snap count (tapping the foot in the shotgun like john elway) has eliminated some of the issues of a loud crowd of cheering fans but false starts can still happen because of the noise blocking out the snap count. Nonetheless, they still arent actually apart of the team. Fans who go to 1 or 2 games a year or spend the season watching the games on tv surely dont have justification for saying "we" or "us."

So my question is, why in the heck do so many fans say "us" or "we" in reference to their favorite team, such as " WE are going to beat the patriots," or "WE need to draft some solid defensive players," or "They won't beat US."? I've always been curious as to why this is said.

I'm on The Wall of Fame, bro.

So it's we and us, even in a loss.

I feel like you need someone to give you a swirlie.

Only problem i have with that post is that I am not a girl but a diehard male football fan. My experiment has been thus far successful. I only did this cuz the official bills website forum was no longer accepting registration so i had to go somewhere. And I wanted to feel confident that whatever community i joined was not filled with "fair weather" fans. I call myself a new bills fan because my oldest bills memory was of Jim Kelly's retirement press conference when i was 7 years old. Sure, Ive watched every Nfl films presentation since the dawn of its existance, especially those focusing on the bills and niners, but Im only 22 and very unfortunate to not have seen the true glory days of either franchise.

Interesting.. Guess I'll have to encourage a Mod-meeting to discuss tighter registration requirements in the wake of a new era.

Damn, if those 'other' Bills sites won't allow the riff-raff, the Best Bills site shouldn't either!

With apologies for the self-promotion, here is a possible answer to the question.

http://therecovering...x-pat-bills-fan

Good stuff RJ.

Seems to me there are a few closely-related ideas as to why we root for our team. I would say that as social beings that there's quite possibly a gene for affiliation and association with a group. Our tribe's symbol is a buffalo and we wear red, white, and blue. Why this particular group is obvious for ex-pats but becomes a much more interesting question when asked of Bills fans who have never lived or even been to WNY.

But back to the original question; with the intimacy with which we follow our team, it's inevitable that we get to know the stories of the players and become emotionally invested in some of the individuals on the team… that is a draw too. I really care what happens to Fred Jackson and Fitz, for instance. These are good men who I want to see succeed.

This brings us to another factor… the great theater which is human endeavor, especially one which is so intensely covered by the media. There are all sorts of characters and story lines, crossroads, tensions, dramas… how we predict them to resolve themselves and what the actual outcomes are is very interesting to many of us.

You mentioned aesthetic pleasure but for those who aren't aesthetes, it's probably a similar but slightly different motive… the opportunity to watch uniquely skilled athletes who are the best in the world at what they do.

Anyways as I've said before, I'lll be buried (or cremated) with many Bills totems upon me… but until then I'll be living with my obsession, willingly and gladly.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Woah. I hope you were being sarcastic. Otherwise, you are exactly what is wrong with football fans. David Nelson and Ryan Fitzpatrick will tell you that we inspired them to do what they did but that is truly just a PR decision. truth is, we didnt beat the raiders. Ryan fitzpatrick throwing the game winner to nelson beat the raiders. We didnt do that they did.

No. You are only partially correct. Fitz may have thrown the game winner to Nelson, but it was my running around the house rubbing each one of my Bills logos on my Bills gear exactly 3 times while saying... let's go Buffalo that allowed him to make that throw. I'm certain without me doing that, there's no way WE win.

No. You are only partially correct. Fitz may have thrown the game winner to Nelson, but it was my running around the house rubbing each one of my Bills logos on my Bills gear exactly 3 times while saying... let's go Buffalo that allowed him to make that throw. I'm certain without me doing that, there's no way WE win.

Hah, its stuff like that that gives me great amusement. I just hope you dont really believe that superstitious/ritual behavior actually makes a difference.

As for the rest of the conversation: I say "us" and "we" myself frequently enough, despite my efforts not to. I was merely asking a question. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with loving your football team. And while I understand that the word FAN is derived from FANATIC, or FANATICAL, but I see no reason not to be logical and rational. Does my aversion to such behavior make me any less of a fan? Somehow inferior to the rest of you? I think absolutely not, but if calling me a marginal fan, a fair weather fan, or otherwise not a true fan makes YOU feel better, then have at it.

I am definitely not trying to run up my post count. Who even cares about a stupid post count?

Edited by Slackware