Arm Chair GM

Dragonborn10

Right now the Bills have soon to be FA's at QB, #1WR, LT, and CB. If there is a team that collectively is spending less on these four positions I can't think of which one. These are arguably the four highest paid positions on any team. How do you go about getting them all under contract? How much do you give Fitz at this point? Are you ready to make Fitz the long term QB and spend the guaranteed money it will take to get him signed? Johnson? Do you give up on Bell and McElvin? Which of them do you sign and which do you franchise?

I would offer Fitz a contract that pays him around 10th in the league at starting QB and make it a 4 year deal. I would not sign Johnson and make him prove he can be the guy for an entire year without Evans. If he can then franchise him next year. I would let McKelvin walk and hold my nose while drafting yet another CB in the first three rounds next year. I would see if Bell would agree to a 3 yr extension and if not draft best available LT in the first round next year.

In short I am sold on Fitz and Gailey and would hitch my wagon to them and a LT in the draft, rather than reaching for a QB next year not named Luck.

Edited by Dadonkadonk

Great points OP. A couple of things in response:

1. QB: If Fitzpatrick puts up a year equal to or greater than next year, I fully expect him to receive a big extension. If he regresses and the team doesn't improve its record significantly, he will be gone.

2. WR: Johnson hasn't earned more money until now. He has only taken over the WR1 job this season after emerging last year. That said, rumors are his extension talks are going on right now. My gut says Johnson is the real deal, so I wouldn't mind extending him during this season.

3. LT and CB: I'm certainly not convinced I want either Bell or McKelvin sticking around for the long haul. I see no obvious signs that the Bills are convinced either. I'd like to see better consistency from Bell and much better performance from McKelvin before paying them franchise player-type money at their positions. I know it would sting for yet another high 1st round pick to go elsewhere, but McKelvin hasn't shown the cover skills of a top flight corner.

Right now the Bills have soon to be FA's at QB, #1WR, LT, and CB. If there is a team that collectively is spending less on these four positions I can't think of which one. These are arguably the four highest paid positions on any team. How do you go about getting them all under contract? How much do you give Fitz at this point? Are you ready to make Fitz the long term QB and spend the guaranteed money it will take to get him signed? Johnson? Do you give up on Bell and McElvin? Which of them do you sign and which do you franchise?

I would offer Fitz a contract that pays him around 10th in the league at starting QB and make it a 4 year deal. I would not sign Johnson and make him prove he can be the guy for an entire year without Evans. If he can then franchise him next year. I would let McKelvin walk and hold my nose while drafting yet another CB in the first three rounds next year. I would see if Bell would agree to a 3 yr extension and if not draft best available LT in the first round next year.

In short I am sold on Fitz and Gailey and would hitch my wagon to them and a LT in the draft, rather than reaching for a QB next year not named Luck.

isn't mckelvin signed through next year? did he void a year?

of the other 3, they need to get at least 1 signed before the end of the season....can't go into the off-season with 3 major free agents.....i can see fitz signing in the first half of the season but not johnson given the recent news that him and the bills are miles apart.......i can't see how they can do a deal for bell at this point that would be fair to both - need to see more good games out of him

other significant 2012 UFA's - scott chandler, andra davis, roscoe parrish, erik pears, kraig urbik, rian lindell

unfortunately this is where the "cash to the cap" will hurt us - shame they don't amortize bonuses properly

I like conversations like this. Great start to football Sunday. That said, here is the list of team members who I think will get extensions and use up the gushing cap space we have available:

Fitzpatrick - I agree he will get an extension to pay him in the top 10. The extension will pay him close to $9 / $10M a year

Bell - I have shared my sentiment a number of times this week and this preseason. I don't know what film folks have watched on bell or the rest of the O Line Starters, but what I have witnessed is solid, solid football. Bell will be a Bill for a long time. And if the Bills don't pay him, another team will. Mark my words

Johnson - Stevie will get paid his due. Us board rbothers and sisters need to move on from can he handle the double team. Due the 3 , 4 WR sets, he will not be double teamed a lot anyway. And if he is, well, then the opponent will get killed by Parrish, Nelson and now Chandler

Wood - see Bell comments about O line, agree to a long term extension this year

Levitre - see Wood comments

McKelvin - I am of the mind set that we really haven't been able to give this kid a good review, till this year, because of how poor our front 7 was during his first 3 seasons. That said, he is big an strong, unsure about how smart. If he has a solid year, then I think an offer is necessary simply because of the amount of weapons that Brady and Sanchez have

If we can accomplish these important contract extensions, then what we need to focus in on either via trade or with the number 1 pick in next years draft is the best pass rusher available.

Some food for thought as the coffee sets in this morning.

6 hrs and 2 min till kick off.

Oh, shame, shame on me, I hit Post to soon. Freddy Jackson, even at 30, is not GOING ANYWHERE, and will get a nice extension. He is to important to the locker room, to the running game and to the cohesiveness of the Offense. CJ Spiller is just not making the strides the Front Office thought he would

isn't mckelvin signed through next year? did he void a year?

of the other 3, they need to get at least 1 signed before the end of the season....can't go into the off-season with 3 major free agents.....i can see fitz signing in the first half of the season but not johnson given the recent news that him and the bills are miles apart.......i can't see how they can do a deal for bell at this point that would be fair to both - need to see more good games out of him

other significant 2012 UFA's - scott chandler, andra davis, roscoe parrish, erik pears, kraig urbik, rian lindell

unfortunately this is where the "cash to the cap" will hurt us - shame they don't amortize bonuses properly

I think you are correct. We drafted him in 2008 and if I remember I think it was a five year deal (2012).

10 million dollars a year to Fitz is OUTRAGEOUS money and Buddy would need to be put down like an aged dog if he gave him that kind of money....when paying a player who will be a free agent/is a free agent, you dont offer him double what some other team would, you simply offer more...6 or 7 million (and thats pushing it to the top) would adequately get it done...if you think some other team is going to pay Fitz 10 mill a year, you sir, are out of your F'ing mind...

and where was it reported Stevie and the bills are "miles apart" on contract talks...I havent even seen reports that they are talking...please link/explain

10 million dollars a year to Fitz is OUTRAGEOUS money and Buddy would need to be put down like an aged dog if he gave him that kind of money....when paying a player who will be a free agent/is a free agent, you dont offer him double what some other team would, you simply offer more...6 or 7 million (and thats pushing it to the top) would adequately get it done...if you think some other team is going to pay Fitz 10 mill a year, you sir, are out of your F'ing mind...

and where was it reported Stevie and the bills are "miles apart" on contract talks...I havent even seen reports that they are talking...please link/explain

Miles? Yes, but they didn't say anything about closing the door on negotiations all together either. Fitz needs to get paid though. If the Bills go into next year without a contract for him, they are setting themselves up for a major tailspin followed by a crash and burn.

I can understand how your are shocked that any one would suggest this. However, take a look at the performance of he and the offensive line during his last 16 starts. I am pretty sure I saw 3500 yards, 31 TD's, 15 Int's and the O Line has only given 25 sacks. To think that Fitzpatrick will be offered this size of a contract is not that far fetched. Truth be told, if he has a 31 TD, 15 Int, 3500 yd season over the course of the 16 games this 2011 year, if the Bills don't offer that kind of money, Fitz would probably get from some place else. Whether the size of a potential deal is deserved or not, whether it is justified or not, it is what it is.

Anyone not want to pay Fitz top ten money now???

Buddy sign Fitz, Bell, and Johnson on Monday and have the press conference started by Kelly, Fina, and Reed.

The future may be here....

I like Fitz, Bell and Johnson. But please do not put them in the same sentence as Kelly, Fina and Reed.

Anyone not want to pay Fitz top ten money now???

Buddy sign Fitz, Bell, and Johnson on Monday and have the press conference started by Kelly, Fina, and Reed.

The future may be here....

with cash to the cap (i.e. being cheap) this is actually impossible......we'll be lucky to sign one of them during the season with this strategy