Sarah Palin allegedly had a one night stand with former NBA player

hypocrisy - and explain how Streisand was a hypocrite, maybe I missed it, but I think you are unclear on the concept.

Hey, if you can't address the substance might as well look for a typo. I'll admit the latter part of my post was a tangent without a bridge so I'll explain. Palin gets called hypocritical because she has an opinion on sex education, yet her daughter got pregnant, so she should STFU. Barbara Streisand has long held strong opinions about gays and AIDS and how the subject should be handled, yet her son got AIDS, so to follow the same logic she should STFU.

It was less a comment on her hypocrisy and more a reductio ad absurdum regarding the way the douche bag wing of the Democrat party presents Palin on the issue.

Just a general :thumbdown: to the entire post.

This response comes off as a statement that what I said goes against something you feel but that you lack the intellect to refute. That's a shame because You occasionally have something of marginal value to say, but posts like this expose your inherent intellectual mediocrity.

Of course if you have something other than "nuh-uh" to add I'd like to hear it.

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if you can't address the substance might as well look for a typo. I'll admit the latter part of my post was a tangent without a bridge so I'll explain. Palin gets called hypocritical because she has an opinion on sex education, yet her daughter got pregnant, so she should STFU. Barbara Streisand has long held strong opinions about gays and AIDS and how the subject should be handled, yet her son got AIDS, so to follow the same logic she should STFU.

It was less a comment on her hypocrisy and more a reductio ad absurdum regarding the way the douche bag wing of the Democrat party presents Palin on the issue.

This response comes off as a statement that what I said goes against something you feel but that you lack the intellect to refute. That's a shame because You occasionally have something of marginal value to say, but posts like this expose your inherent intellectual mediocrity.

The key point to Hypocrisy is moral judgement and/or avocation of punishment whether legal or social- Palin could talk about abstinence, the advantages of abstinence, abstinence only sex ed and so on and not be a hypocrite, she might be advocating an unrealistic lifestyle and an education policy that does more harm than good but it wouldn't necessarily be hypocritical- but if she claims moral superiority either by elevating herself and her family or by denigrating others who do not hold to her point of view that would be hypocritical.

The key point to Hypocrisy is moral judgement and/or avocation of punishment whether legal or social- Palin could talk about abstinence, the advantages of abstinence, abstinence only sex ed and so on and not be a hypocrite, she might be advocating an unrealistic lifestyle and an education policy that does more harm than good but it wouldn't necessarily be hypocritical- but if she claims moral superiority either by elevating herself and her family or by denigrating others who do not hold to her point of view that would be hypocritical.

So did she do this? If you read all of the prior posts I posted a link to a LA Times article where she stated she was for "Abstinence Only" education along with the normal sex education taught in 96% of the schools nationwide. "Abstinence Only" education is not "Only Abstinence" education.

My problem with this thread is that the OP posted this crap on the basis that an article was written that quoted the National Enquirer that stated that a book was coming out that alleged that Sarah Palin did all of these things. Certain people (Bufftex specifically but others also) jumped all over it and used it for political reasons. They were gleeful that they could slam her. Now when book reviewers that have actually read the book claim it is trash and the claims unsubstantiated they make statements like they "don't care about the book" even though their premise was based on excerpts from the book. Now, who are the hypocrites? In this case Lybob I don't think you are. Damn, that was hard to type!

The key point to Hypocrisy is moral (1)judgement and/or avocation of punishment whether legal or social- Palin could talk about abstinence, the advantages of abstinence, abstinence only sex ed and so on and not be a hypocrite, she might be advocating an unrealistic lifestyle and (2)an education policy that does more harm than good but it wouldn't necessarily be hypocritical- but (3)if she claims moral superiority either by elevating herself and her family or by denigrating others who do not hold to her point of view that would be hypocritical.

1. judgment. I can play the spelling game too.

2. It's not an issue I have a great deal of passion for, but your assertion that sex ed programs in schools have any substantial effect on teen pregnancy and/or STDs is unfounded. It's just liberal intuition treated as unquestionable fact. There isn't empirical data to support your assertion.

3. So you're saying that limosine liberals (as exemplified in my example by Barbara Streisand) don't claim moral superiority while denigrating those who don't hold their points of view? Seriously? Maybe you should listen to the words next time you hear O Holy One speak.

1. judgment. I can play the spelling game too.

2. It's not an issue I have a great deal of passion for, but your assertion that sex ed programs in schools have any substantial effect on teen pregnancy and/or STDs is unfounded. It's just liberal intuition treated as unquestionable fact. There isn't empirical data to support your assertion.

3. So you're saying that limosine liberals (as exemplified in my example by Barbara Streisand) don't claim moral superiority while denigrating those who don't hold their points of view? Seriously? Maybe you should listen to the words next time you hear O Holy One speak.

"Limousine".

I win! :w00t:

1. judgment. I can play the spelling game too. While judgment is the more commonly used spelling judgement is acceptable.

2. It's not an issue I have a great deal of passion for, but your assertion that sex ed programs in schools have any substantial effect on teen pregnancy and/or STDs is unfounded. It's just liberal intuition treated as unquestionable fact. There isn't empirical data to support your assertion. Agree to disagree

3. So you're saying that limosine liberals (as exemplified in my example by Barbara Streisand) don't claim moral superiority while denigrating those who don't hold their points of view? Seriously? Maybe you should listen to the words next time you hear O Holy One speak. if you are saying most people are hypocritical in some parts of their life yes you are correct but your statement "And for that matter, I've never heard someone call Barbara Streisand a hypocrite for her stances on gay rights after her gay son got a shot of AIDS up his ass." is 1. random as !@#$ and 2. makes no !@#$ing sense,- If Streisand had been on record as saying gays were evil and AIDS was God's punishment and that no tax payer dollar should be given for research or medical treatment before she finds out that her son is gay/has contracted HIV and then afterwards said gays are lovely and we should spend lots of money on research and treatment that would be hypocritical. Conversely if Barb had said being gay is lovely and normal and then after finding out her son is gay sent him off to a Homosexual Deprogramming Ministry that too would be hypocritical.I still think you are unclear on the concept.

I didn't feel like bothering at the time. Point by point.

This is the kind of argument that irritates me. If you guys want to rip her for being less than a polished, worldly intellectual then fine, but don't give me the hypocrite argument based on this flimsy ****.

Actually, I am one of the ones that gives her credit for being smarter than she appears, so I disagree with you here. I think the ones who are ripping her for her intelligence are either mislead, haven't researched it, or intellectually dishonest.

Claiming 13 year olds don't need comprehensive sex ed in schools is somehow comparable to a 23 year old getting some?

By the way, as has been pointed out, Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.

Link

•  
  • Federal Evaluation Finds Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs Ineffective
  • Abstinence-Only Programs Do Not Affect Rates of HIV Infection or Sexual Behavior
  • Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs Negatively Impact Young People’s Sexual Health
  • Numerous State Evaluations Fail to Find Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs Effective

It's just like the "hypocrissy" charge from her daughter getting pregnant. Why doesn't anyone scream hypocrissy when a lib's kid gets pregnant? Oh yeah, because they snuff that little mother !@#$er out in the womb and no one ever hears about it.

That is just an ugly, ugly, statement. Also, you are getting paint everywhere man, put down that brush.

And for that matter, I've never heard someone call Barbara Streisand a hypocrite for her stances on gay rights after her gay son got a shot of AIDS up his ass.

What? As pointed out up above, I do not think that word means what you think it means. And yet another ugly statement.

Those were my issues with your post.

Look, should Palin be allowed to change her mind over time? Of course. Does this make her a hypocrite? No. So she got some, who cares? Is the media being evil in hyping the Glen Rice aspect because he is black? I say yes and some are being racist really by doing so. So congrats Daveinelma, it seems you have company.