Building a "No Defections" Team

WickedGame

One thing that can kill a team trying to rebuild is defections. "Two steps forward, one step back" makes for slow progress. It's worse for the Bills, who for the last decade seemed to have it backwards: "One step forward, two steps back."

Say what you want about Buddy and Chan letting players go, at least they're getting value. Marshawn Lynch already had his eye on the exit. Lee Evans was loyal, but he'd already given us his best years. In both cases, we got draft picks. Now, combine that with extending good players -- Kyle Williams, Stevie in the works, Roscoe in the works -- and you reduce the amount of involuntary turnover each year.

I like their approach. It won't deliver immediate results, but it's the right approach. Our problem for 10 years has been that we never stopped the bleeding (or plugged the hole in the boat, if you prefer). We're doing that now. What remains is a young, stable, and increasingly talented team. Adding veterans via free agency makes more sense now that we've stopped the bleeding.

Lock up young talent, extend the few vets we DO have, and if guys like Merriman (re)emerge as legit top-tier players, extend them quickly, too. Address your biggest needs via the draft with the best players, and we might just build something. I anticipate we'll have much less of a revolving door over the next 2-3 years than in years past.

We also need these players to buy into what Chan is selling. Kyle Williams was eager to extend because he seems to like what is happening. SJ's agent is looking for a little more $, but hopefully it won't turn into a diva situation.

But don't expect Nix to sign anyone to stupid money. Stupid as in 25% above a players value. It's not cheapness. It's bad for the team if one guy thinks he should be paid way more, unless that player is a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady level player.

PTR

Your heart is in the right place but in my "humble" opinion you have it all wrong. Lynch loved it hear until the fan base started calling him "thug" and believing all manor of story even that he stole a $20 bill from some policeman's wife or some such bs. He was a young guy that made some really dumb mistakes. I don't know about you but raise your hand if you were a complete saint in your early 20's and never got into any mischief. These guys have the misfortune of having those mistakes make the national news. On Lee Evans, his best years are still here. We have only had 2 seasons with an unquestioned starter who actually had the arm to utilize his speed. You can say he wasn't a great fit for Buffalo because of the parade of weak armed QBs that have been through here and the rise of the short passing game but that's NOT his fault. You don't buy a Ferrari and take it off roading. You don't take a 5'11" speedster and have him try to out muscle guys and take shots going high over the middle.

Secondly there is NO SUCH THING as a "no defection" team. This view is quite naive. We are not the Patriots or the Eagles. Our team is not a bounce of the ball away from a superbowl victory. Players will not take a pay cut to play for Buffalo. We are a team that spends cash to cap to enhance the bottom line. Wait until it comes time to resign some of the players we have drafted. If they actually turn into great players, they will want to be PAID like great players. If the Bills pay fair market value for their services they will stay. If they don't they will leave. That is how it has always been. It's really as simple as that. What is complex is how the fan base forms an opinion of a player's contract issues.

We as fans debate how greedy or disloyal player X, Y or Z is and ultimately it comes down to who the front office pays or doesn't pay that DETERMINES a fans opinion of a player most often. We pay Kyle Williams he is an awesome no defection guy. We don't pay Peters and he is a greedy fat slob and despite 4 consecutive probowl appearances he is a below average LT. Aaron Schobel is a hero because Ralph paid him and he was worth every cent. Lee Evans, although most consider him a class act, has his best years behind him and it wasn't worth paying the paltry 5 million a year to keep our fastest and most experienced WR on the team.

Don't believe the hype. We get indignant when players want old Ralph, a MILLIONAIRE, to open up his change purse and pay somebody what the market would pay them and get pissed when they leave. There is not a single person on this whole board that wouldn't take a 50% to 100% pay raise to go do the exact same job at another company.

People need to see players as people with jobs like any other american. This became more of a business than a game a LONG LONG time ago.

Edited by PDaDdy

Good post ... I am as harsh a critic of Nix as anyone, but I do applaud the recent efforts to keep players around. It at least feels refreshing.

Still, the best way to keep your own players is to build a winning culture around the organization. Players want to play for teams that pay them the most money or give them the best chance to strengthen their legacy in the league. For far too long Buffalo has been able to provide neither of those things.

Hopefully change starts Sunday at Arrowhead.

Secondly there is NO SUCH THING as a "no defections" team. This view is quite naive. We are not the Patriots or the Eagles. Our team is not a bounce of the ball away from a superbowl victory that players will take a pay cut to play for. We are a team that spends cash to cap to enhance the bottom line. Wait until it comes time to resign some of the players we have drafted. If they actually turn into great players, they will want to be PAID like great players. If the Bills pay fair market value for their services they will stay. If they don't they will leave. That is how it has always been. It's really as simple as that. What is complex is how the fan base forms an opinion of the players contract issues.

Agreed.

Even some of the most loyal "team" guys will jump ship for more money.

If the Bills want to keep their "no defections" group, they have to pay them market rate or more.

Great topic OP. We have all this unused cap space, and it's viewed as a negative. But it could be a positive if it's being saved like money in the bank. If more and more cap space gets used as more players show consistent results, then we will think they were being smart about it to keep the team together long term.

And, if you sign big name free agents that don't work out, they can take up future cap space that makes it harder to keep the team together. So it's risky and they are choosing the conservative way. If they consistently improve, even if it's slow, it will start to look less like Ralph was cheap, and more like he waited for a solid plan worth investing in.

The bottom line is evaluating talent. Buddy has done pretty good but made some mistakes. He shook up the scouting department. The jury is still out.

Edited by Just Nguyen Baby

Remember - these are the same guys that extended Chris Kelsay, who is now playing out of position in a 3-4 D, for some silly money. Lee Evans is worth more to us than a 4th round pick next year. Will you be thrilled when we draft a Da'Norris Searcy with that pick (or whoever, not picking on Searcy), but it won't be a game changer no matter who it is in round 4. Should have kept Evans.

Lee Evans is worth more to us than a 4th round pick next year. Will you be thrilled when we draft a Da'Norris Searcy with that pick (or whoever, not picking on Searcy), but it won't be a game changer no matter who it is in round 4. Should have kept Evans.

That's the thing you never know when a late round pick could become an excellent player like McGee or Kyle. So stockpiling picks makes sense. Even if the Evans trade looks bad this year, it will probably look like wash later, but could be a pleasant surprise. Nix is talking about Hairston being capable of starting LT this year and he was a 4th.

Remember - these are the same guys that extended Chris Kelsay, who is now playing out of position in a 3-4 D, for some silly money. Lee Evans is worth more to us than a 4th round pick next year. Will you be thrilled when we draft a Da'Norris Searcy with that pick (or whoever, not picking on Searcy), but it won't be a game changer no matter who it is in round 4. Should have kept Evans.

Yeah I know...what game changer was ever drafted fourth round or lower. Hmmm. Gee that is tough. Tom Brady, Terrell Davis, the Bills very own Kyle Williams.

Agreed.

Even some of the most loyal "team" guys will jump ship for more money.

If the Bills want to keep their "no defections" group, they have to pay them market rate or more.

Even players from perennial SB powerhouses jump ship for more money. Different things motivate different players, but most players go where the money is.

Yeah I know...what game changer was ever drafted fourth round or lower. Hmmm. Gee that is tough. Tom Brady, Terrell Davis, the Bills very own Kyle Williams.

Just for example 2008 2nd half of 4th round (where Ravens pick will be) - so guys entering 4th year in league now - Craig Steltz, Red Bryant, Tashard Choice, Bryan Kehl, Justin Tryon, Arman Shields, Lavelle Hawkins, Jacob Tamme, Keenan Burton, Jonathan Wilhite, Tony Hills, Jack Ikegwuonu, Derek Fine, David Hale, Stanford Keglar, and Josh Sitton.

Yes those are the real 2008 draftees, never heard of more than half of them. Not close to a game changer among them. We all know about Tom Brady and Terrell Davis - it's called a needle in a haystack. 4th round pick = close to worthless.

I'm not suggesting the Bills are flawless, or that every player warrants a contract, or that we won't lose some once in a while, or that a 4th round pick for a good player is an awesome coup. Don't get lost in nitpicking. I'm simply arguing that we've shifted strategy and tactics to address serious weaknesses in our personnel gameplan of recent years. The result will be a significant reduction in meaningful free agent losses.

Is Lee Evans worth more than a 4th? Sure, maybe. Reasonable folks can debate that. Was Marshawn on track to stay a Bill for life? Maybe. I doubt it, but again, reasonable minds can disagree.

But a few anecdote miss the big picture. We're doing a better job of identifying talent on our roster, signing long-term extensions, and positioning the team for net improvement in 2012, 2013 and beyond.

I'll put it simply: Would you rather go into the 2012 draft and free agency with Lee Evans, Kyle Williams, Steve Johnson, and others having contracts due to expire, or would you rather lock up a few, trade a few, and enter the offseason with a clear idea of what you have locked up and what you need?

I'd rather have the latter.

The Lynch debate bothers me, and I LOVED to watch him run, never went down on the first hit but Jackson was better. It was frustrating to watch him get chance after chance while Freddy sat. Every time Freddy had a shot he out performed Lynch. He was a jerk, and the second best Back on the team, making best back money. bubye.

Someone occasionally hitting the lottery doesn't justify buying lottery tickets as a solid plan for long term success.