Moats back to outside?

Rush the passer. And he'll do damn well.

I'll give you this; you're consistent. I just don't know what has led you to this conclusion. Were we watching the same team last year? The hit on Favre was a bit of broken play and Moats had good pursuit, but otherwise, I really didn't see any of this "great pass rusher in the making" you continue to insist is there.

Green, I certainly hope you're right, but I'm a little skeptical. Still, the Bills saw enough to keep him over Coleman.

Everyone seems to say the Brett Favre hit was Moats best play of the season. It wasn't, it's just the most noteworthy due to the other party involved. His best play was when he beat all pro LT Jake Long to strip Chad Henne of the football. Said Moats, "I watched some of the things he did on film and thought I could take advantage out there. It was a big play." Does Kelsay beat Jake Long on any given day? Ever?

Carrington is not an OLB, no 305 pounder is going to play that position. He maybe in the "OLB" spot but it is purely to rush the passer and he is the back up to Marcell.

Moats has been invisible because he can't play inside. They need to realize that just because he is short doesn't mean he can play ILB, he should be outside where he played well last year.

I agree, I think his OLB time is really just being a DE in a 3.5-3.5 when we aren't quite in 4-3 mode but pretty much are. Fun to see the flexibility, and I am glad that Moats got some ILB time since he is a backup, but I think despite height, etc., his best position is clearly OLB and when he is on the field, I hope it is more often in that position.

Carrington is not an OLB, no 305 pounder is going to play that position. He maybe in the "OLB" spot but it is purely to rush the passer and he is the back up to Marcell.

If you are going to say that, then you cannot say we play a 3-4, because there are only three other LBs on the field when he is playing the "OLB" position. I agree he rushes most every play, but it is not at all only to rush the passer. He is in there to set the edge on the run on half the plays, from the LB position in a 3-4, which he does very well. Other times, yes, he is a back-up to Edwards or Marcell.

The point, ultimately though, is the OP was counting LBs. Between Kelsay and Carrington, there are two guys playing that 3-4 OLB position, plus Merriman and Battan, ahead of Moats. So he would be third string on the inside or outside.

We really don't play a 3-4 or a 4-3 in any traditional sense. Our defense looks more like a 46 with 5 guys on the line or very close to it.

Carrington is another outside backer. Moats is likely third string either way. Bryan Scott has also been playing the equivalent of OLB in nickel and dime packages. I don't see Moats being active much, barring injury, but it's hard to tell what they have in mind for him because he's been so invisible.

+1

I actually love what they are doing with Scott. He is by far the best on the team at covering the TE, and he has the size and experience at both safety spots AND LB. He may be listed as the backup SS, but you will see him regularly in a variety of roles...

I am still shocked that they kept Moats over Coleman. With the Morrison pickup, and Sheppard we have decent depth at ILB. On the outside we have Batten, Carrington, and Eddins. I thought Coleman showed he was the stronger and more consistent of the two.

People react this way because of their own pre-conceived notion of what an "OLB" should be. In todays 3-4, the strong side linebacker is basically a glorified DE. Yes he is bigger than most, but to look at that as a reason why he shouldn't play that position is mystifying to me. He played that position almost all pre-season, and looked pretty good doing it. I consider his size to be a big asset. Will they have him covering WR's and TE's? Probably not too often, he will be playing up on the line where he belongs.

He will be splitting time with Kelsey, and IS the backup OLB behind him.

Johnson and Heard are the backup DE's

Edited by Turbosrrgood