SI: Wildcat going out of style, look for Wishbone

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/nfl/2011/08/18/081611.perloff_wildcat.SportsIllustrated/?sct=nfl_bf4_a9

I like the potential of Smith in the Wildcat, but now the craze is multiple TE formations, with the Pats using two and the Texans with...four! I have hopes for Chandler, but it appears as of now we don't even have one decent TE.

I know, I know, Gailey doesn't really use TEs. Just thought I'd post this SI video.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/nfl/2011/08/18/081611.perloff_wildcat.SportsIllustrated/?sct=nfl_bf4_a9

I like the potential of Smith in the Wildcat, but now the craze is multiple TE formations, with the Pats using two and the Texans with...four! I have hopes for Chandler, but it appears as of now we don't even have one decent TE.

I know, I know, Gailey doesn't really use TEs. Just thought I'd post this SI video.

If it's going out of style, then it's just right for the Bills to be bringing it in!

Seriously, how can an offense have 4 TEs line up? Isn't that just a goal line formation?

I'm sure it's a gadget play, but I guess two TEs on the line, two behind the QB with a FB in front of them.

I'm not saying we need to parrot everything winning teams are doing right now. Gailey is doing the best with what he has. But I just hope the Bills aren't wearing acid-wash jeans and mullets to the party that everyone except this guy gave up. &docid=fDiAu5LfpPrLpM&w=318&h=400&ei=IeNPTrnRFciatwfvt_2oBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=267&vpy=226&dur=1023&hovh=252&hovw=200&tx=110&ty=144&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=112&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

I'm sure it's a gadget play, but I guess two TEs on the line, two behind the QB with a FB in front of them.

I'm not saying we need to parrot everything winning teams are doing right now. Gailey is doing the best with what he has. But I just hope the Bills aren't wearing acid-wash jeans and mullets to the party that everyone except this guy gave up. &docid=fDiAu5LfpPrLpM&w=318&h=400&ei=IeNPTrnRFciatwfvt_2oBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=267&vpy=226&dur=1023&hovh=252&hovw=200&tx=110&ty=144&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=112&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

Guess I haven't figured out how to post pics. That was Michael Bolton in case you were curious.

Despite the Wildcat supposedly going out of style, I expect to see a lot of Brad Smith this year. When he comes on the field, the defense won't know what to expect. Smith might be under center, or in the Pistol, or in the Shotgun. He might run (with the advantage of having 10 blockers in front of him instead of the typical 9) or pass or handoff. The Bills could keep Fitz in the game and line Smith up as a WR - or as the QB with Fitz lined up wide.

The Wildcat has limitations. First, when the RB is playing the QB spot, the secondary usually cheats up because they become less concerned about the pass. But Smith was a college QB and can get the ball downfield.

Another limitation is that to keep the element of surprise, teams will often huddle with their normal personnel and then line up in the wildcat with the QB out wide as a WR. The problem there is that the offense won't normally run or pass to the side of their QB. They want to keep him out of traffic so he doesn't get hurt. But the Bills don't necessarily have to do this. They can just take Fitz out of the game and make Smith the QB. With Smith in, they can run or pass in any direction.

I expect to see a lot from the Bills wildcat in the season opener. The idea is to get other defenses to respect and prepare for it. Obviously, the more time defenses worry about all our wildcat permutations and combinations, the less they prepare themselves for our base offense. So the Bills want other teams to know something about our wildcat options.

Despite the Wildcat supposedly going out of style, I expect to see a lot of Brad Smith this year. When he comes on the field, the defense won't know what to expect. Smith might be under center, or in the Pistol, or in the Shotgun. He might run (with the advantage of having 10 blockers in front of him instead of the typical 9) or pass or handoff. The Bills could keep Fitz in the game and line Smith up as a WR - or as the QB with Fitz lined up wide.

The Wildcat has limitations. First, when the RB is playing the QB spot, the secondary usually cheats up because they become less concerned about the pass. But Smith was a college QB and can get the ball downfield.

Another limitation is that to keep the element of surprise, teams will often huddle with their normal personnel and then line up in the wildcat with the QB out wide as a WR. The problem there is that the offense won't normally run or pass to the side of their QB. They want to keep him out of traffic so he doesn't get hurt. But the Bills don't necessarily have to do this. They can just take Fitz out of the game and make Smith the QB. With Smith in, they can run or pass in any direction.

I expect to see a lot from the Bills wildcat in the season opener. The idea is to get other defenses to respect and prepare for it. Obviously, the more time defenses worry about all our wildcat permutations and combinations, the less they prepare themselves for our base offense. So the Bills want other teams to know something about our wildcat options.

Hey if nothing else it should be fun to watch.I got faith in the Chan man

Guess I haven't figured out how to post pics. That was Michael Bolton in case you were curious.

LMAO well the delivery was poor, but the spirit of your post was excellent! The Bills do always seem to be more than a step behind the NFL. Whenever I think of the post-Homerun Throwup Bills Era, for some reason I think of a grimacing Dick Jauron in a Members Only jacket.

If you can get five yards per play out of a certain package, then it doesn't really matter if it is out of style or not. Out of style and ineffective are two different things. Gailey will use his guys to get the maximum yards out of them. If it isn't working over the course of the season, I don't think he'll keep doing it.

It was a little irritating that the Bills went to the Tampa 2 when that defense started to become ineffective against some of the newer styles of offense. That is a good example of doing something at the wrong time, or "out-of-style". If Gailey succeeds with his packages, then I'd say most coaches would do the same if they could get similar results.

If you can get five yards per play out of a certain package, then it doesn't really matter if it is out of style or not. Out of style and ineffective are two different things. Gailey will use his guys to get the maximum yards out of them. If it isn't working over the course of the season, I don't think he'll keep doing it.

It was a little irritating that the Bills went to the Tampa 2 when that defense started to become ineffective against some of the newer styles of offense. That is a good example of doing something at the wrong time, or "out-of-style". If Gailey succeeds with his packages, then I'd say most coaches would do the same if they could get similar results.

I'm not so sure. One of the O-line stats places online showed the Bills running up the middle the highest % of time of any

team in football, and having a low yards/gain average, while off left tackle they were among the league leaders, and didn't run there

any more than they ran to the right which they were the worst in the league at.

Go figure.

I do not care if Gailey uses a tight end or not, he simply needs to learn to use one. With the defenses we face and the current NFL trend having good quality on the front 7 we need a way to dump the ball. The NFL is faster then it has been in a while and the TE is what we need. The Patriots success is because they have two tight ends that can stretch the field both vertically and horizontally. They spread the field out and make defenses play the whole field. This takes away from their lackluster line performance of last year - their line was honestly not that good!

Basically a spread option ala auburn, but with brad smith running it as a subpackage, instead of the Arkansas wild hog is what I see as a basis for the scheme

Edited by NoSaint

LMAO well the delivery was poor, but the spirit of your post was excellent! The Bills do always seem to be more than a step behind the NFL. Whenever I think of the post-Homerun Throwup Bills Era, for some reason I think of a grimacing Dick Jauron in a Members Only jacket.

DJ and Member's Only go together like Bill Billicheat and homeless chic.

Problem is the 'Members Only' jacket was an early 80's fashion trend.