Football Is Won In The Trenches

I've always believed that football games are decided by the play of the offensive and defensive lines. Without them, you can't do anything else.

With the addition of Dareus who will be complemented nicely by Kyle Williams I really like the direction our d line is moving in.

Now just imagine if we could get a big nasty offensive tackle in next year's draft with our 1st round pick. Maybe another offensive lineman in the second or through free agency. All of a sudden this Bills team might not be so bad after all. Watch out America, a stampede is coming!!

(And to all of the negative nancys, if you can't get excited at this time of the year for your team then you should just hang it up and find a new hobby)

I've always believed that football games are decided by the play of the offensive and defensive lines. Without them, you can't do anything else.

With the addition of Dareus who will be complemented nicely by Kyle Williams I really like the direction our d line is moving in.

Now just imagine if we could get a big nasty offensive tackle in next year's draft with our 1st round pick. Maybe another offensive lineman in the second or through free agency. All of a sudden this Bills team might not be so bad after all. Watch out America, a stampede is coming!!

(And to all of the negative nancys, if you can't get excited at this time of the year for your team then you should just hang it up and find a new hobby)

I tend to be viewed as one of the more-negative people around, and I completely agree with you. We finally has a good DL. KW is all pro. Dareus will likely be just as good as KW if not better. Merriman may be back to all pro (I include the rush LB in a 34 as a Dlman because they rush 90% of the time). Carrington looks big and strong. Edwards is no slouch. Troup, Jasper, Heard are all 330+. Our D is now a strength. Our OL is terrible, but we are two good players away really. I just wish they had addressed it already.

Trenches yes ... and don't forget that elite and rare "franchise" QB.

Edited by Bob in STL

Trenches yes ... and don't forget that elite and rare "franchise" QB.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but great offensive lines make good quarterbacks seem great. I'm not saying having an elite quarterback wouldn't be nice though.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but great offensive lines make good quarterbacks seem great. I'm not saying having an elite quarterback wouldn't be nice though.

And great QBs make everyone else seem great. See both Super Bowl teams last year.

And great QBs make everyone else seem great. See both Super Bowl teams last year.

Ben Roethlisberger is not the reason why the Steelers went to the superbowl, their running game and tenacious D allow him to not have to do all that much. Aaron Rodgers also has a tremendous supporting cast around him

Defense wins championships. Those two teams who happened to be in the Super Bowl had the number 1 and 2 ranked defenses in the NFL. Although both had terrible O-lines and QB's who elevated the play of their offenses and masked the weaknesses of the O-line.

I think a great QB will work with what he has a cover up a lot of weaknesses and lack of talent on a team. BUT a great O-line also elevates the play of the rest of the offense and can to a certain extent elevate the QB's play.

I think the OL can be helped tremendously by adding Nick Cole and Shawn Andrews and subtracting Wang and Wrotto

Starters- Bell LT, Levitre LG, Woods C, Nick Cole RG Shawn Andrews RT

first tier Back ups- Pears LT Hangartner G/C Chris Hairston RT

second tier Back ups- the best two out of Howard, Brown, Urbik, and Rinehart

Ben Roethlisberger is not the reason why the Steelers went to the superbowl, their running game and tenacious D allow him to not have to do all that much. Aaron Rodgers also has a tremendous supporting cast around him

Actually, the Steelers' o-line and running game were dreadful last year. The qb carried the offense. They had a sieve-like offensive line, giving up 43 sacks, and they were 18th in rushing yards per attempt. Yet Roethlisberger still had a 97.0 rating.

Edited by dave mcbride