Should Jasper be given a shot at RG?

From watching Jasper's play last night, I saw him pushing back his O-linemen on a consistent basis, but he wasn't able to disengage and make a tackle or go after the QB. I know he is basically new to the NT position, is raw and needs time to develop, but considering how horrible Urbik, Wrotto & Howard were last night, should the Bills FO consider moving Jasper to the RG position? Jasper has played Guard in college, so it's not like they would be throwing him into a completely new environment. Thoughts...

From watching Jasper's play last night, I saw him pushing back his O-linemen on a consistent basis, but he wasn't able to disengage and make a tackle or go after the QB. I know he is basically new to the NT position, is raw and needs time to develop, but considering how horrible Urbik, Wrotto & Howard were last night, should the Bills FO consider moving Jasper to the RG position? Jasper has played Guard in college, so it's not like they would be throwing him into a completely new environment. Thoughts...

That's funny, I was wondering the same thing and thinking that's why they switched him to offense in college. But I think it's better to play a guy where he wants to be rather than forcing a switch. He definitely needs a lot of work on technique, we'll see where he is at the end of preseason but for now I think you leave him be. At least he didn't get pushed around out there like Wang and Urbik.

Edited by GaryPinC

he played at an NIAA college, didn't he? That's like bad D-III level football in most parts of the country.

The guy is not going to be ready to play anywhere. DT is a much easier position to learn than OL.

He probably won't be successful anywhere, but if he's going to be successful, its at DT

When Jasper was fresh, he was pushing his guy back but couldn't disengage. When he was tired, he was pushed around like a bean bag.

I don't seem him being agile enough to be a blocker. He has a lot more work to do than I was blissfully hoping. Hope to see some progress next week. Particularly being able to get off of his blocker when he's fresh.

he played at an NIAA college, didn't he? That's like bad D-III level football in most parts of the country.

The guy is not going to be ready to play anywhere. DT is a much easier position to learn than OL.

He probably won't be successful anywhere, but if he's going to be successful, its at DT

NAIA is not below DIII. It's actually closer to DII ball. It's just a separate body from the NCAA.

As for Jasper, If he looks bad at NT right now, he would look 10x worse at RT/RG. There is so much more to know as an offensive lineman, if he is overwhelmed now then putting him on the O-line won't make him better. This is not an indictment of Jasper. It's his first NFL action. Give him a chance to learn the job.

PTR

Wood is our starting center and should stay there IMO...The only real high quality player on our line (yes, Levitre and bell are ok)...To the point of the OP, RG is a complete disaster for us, Urbik looks lost and Mansfield Wrotto has absolutely no business being on an NFL practice squad, let alone active roster...

Pears looked decent in pass protection, but looks somewhat weak, I can see him getting bull rushed...Also he got NO push on run plays.

Edited by Turbosrrgood