Gaileys ego

You guys are ridiculous. It's preseason and it has nothing to do with Gailey's arrogance trying to get what he can out of what he has.

I second that vote. As to Gailey's ego, you do not become a coach in the NFL without one. He is going to run plays that he thinks will produce the best results.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before and I really don't think that you're going to see a lot of it in the Preseason. They are going to keep it pretty close to the vest. Again, Gailey is being forced to do this because the O line is bad. I'm excited to see what it looks like when Chan unleashes it a bit more.

Yeah, I could see that.

In a perfect world, where he has a legitimate dual threat QB ie Cam Newton, he'd run it full time, no question.

Now he has to pick and choose when to roll the formation out there. Going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. I like his out of the box thinking, whether it helps us or not remains to be seen, but at least he's trying to come up with ways to get the most out of what he has.

Gadget plays never worked for the steelers? Don't you think he played all 5 qb's to see what they could do in a preseason game? Brown and Thigpen are clearly back ups. What didn't you like about brad smiths plays last night? He sure helped the Jets make it to the championship game 2 years in a row. I like that he is trying to be creative instead of running all the same old boring NFL plays.

You didn't spot my sarcasm..... I could care less what they show in the preseason, it's all about getting game speed reps and getting out of there healthy.

First NFL pre-season game for you, huh?

Well, you've got to start somewhere...

I guess my sarcasm didn't shine through as well as I hoped

What the wildcat does bring you though is a stable of offensive plays that the other defense has to gameplan for. Even if that means one less blitz package that their base defense comes to the game with because they had to account for Brad Smith under center, that's one less look that our O-line has to handle, when it's already pretty stretched thin.

Just like Patton chillin in Britain before D-Day with the jerries thinking he's going to town on Calais, I'm totally okay with Smith being a decoy.

Brad Smith brought in as a decoy won't fool anyone. They've seen the tape. They know what he does. As a reciever he's a bit more promising, but still, after a good staring-down by Fitz, Brad will just end up hurt. How about Smith as our #1 under center? THAT sounds awesome. Mix things up with a few designed-run plays (and a few passing ones) That would drive opposing defenses NUTS!

thank god someone else on this board understands me. You people on these boards dont understand anything, you act like because we used the wildcat a few times last nite that were going to use it 36 times every game. jesus you people are so dumb. I honestly would be pissed if i didnt see the wildcat last nite. It works for most teams so why not use it?

I'm with you bud, we just need something to talk about though

All of these observations after the FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME! Unbelievable. It was the FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME! Some of the comments on this board are laughable. Yes, they ran a lot of Wildcat last night. Guess what? That's the only way to practice it under game conditions. And guess what else? Brad Smith ran it quite successfully for a playoff team (Jets). It will be another weapon for the offense and they will run a lot of different plays from that formation. Even though the Bills put up a lot of points last year, they had trouble in short yardage situations. This may help them in those situations. Relax, it was the FIRST PRE-SEASON GAME!

Brad Smith brought in as a decoy won't fool anyone. They've seen the tape. They know what he does. As a reciever he's a bit more promising, but still, after a good staring-down by Fitz, Brad will just end up hurt. How about Smith as our #1 under center? THAT sounds awesome. Mix things up with a few designed-run plays (and a few passing ones) That would drive opposing defenses NUTS!

You forgot to put just kidding at the end of your post.

You forgot to put just kidding at the end of your post.

Yah, that may be because I was dead :censored:ing serious. Fitz had a chance to run an offense. He failed. Pig-pen had multiple chances with similar results. maybe it's time for us to re-think this whole thing.

Yah, that may be because I was dead :censored:ing serious. Fitz had a chance to run an offense. He failed. Pig-pen had multiple chances with similar results. maybe it's time for us to re-think this whole thing.

When did Fitz fail? To score a touchdown last night in one quarter of a preseason game? Because you can't be referring to last year, him and Freddy are the only reasons we actually won some games.

I might drink the koolaid, but you are on some stuff that has turned your mind to mush.

you must be young.... Greg Williams had an Ego. Gailey has the anti-ego. Might be one of the humblest coaches in football. Why does he like Brad Smith? because in our division you need to think outside the box to beat Belicheck (who is going back to the 4-3 in the perfect time, with all other teams in a 3-4).

Wow. What an abomination of a thread. Dear OP. We don't have an oline. Maybe the worst in football. The only way to make up for our lack of oline is to devise gimmick plays in order to keep the defense guessing. Would you rather us run on 1st and 2nd and throw on 3rd and long like DJ? Would you rather chan call deep passes so fitz can drop back and get killed before he can unload the ball to a WR that's not open? Our only option due to our lack of an Oline us to go with short passes and gimmicks. We can't run a traditional offense due too our blocking. As another poster said, nix bypassed oline in order to improve our biggest issue, stopping the run. Because of that, we are stuck with a bad line. I'm happy nix chose that route, as our defense looks much better (one preseason game doesn't mean jack, but I'm convinced our run d will be improved). Your assessment that we sucked last year because we wanted newton is laughable. I that were the case, we wouldn't gave finished 4-4. If there was a qb available that was worth a dam, I'm confidant we would have tried to land him. Would you have liked to add mcnabb, hasselback, kolb, orton or taverns Jackson? After reading your post, you probably would have loved to. I'll take my chance with fitz and thigpen this year and if the experiment fails, try to upgrade next year...along with the oline. Gailey has consistantly done well with a lack of talent and may be able to do it again this year with a lack of oline. I'm sure changes will be made next year if that isn't the case. We are rebuilding a team that had many huge holes, it's takes time. Chill out some

Maybe we used thigpen and Smith and nesbitt and brown to see if they could play football, and let them feel NFL speed of game.

Options are always a plus with offense these days. we were bad enough over the years that all the other teams think we do not know what we are doing. Lets keep them thinking that way. when we decide to rule the world they will never know what hit them! :devil: