8/5 -8/8 camp visit report

LynchMob23

Greetings Bills Fans,

I am not much of a poster nowadays, but since I love going to camp and love running into BLM, I figured I’d post some thoughts about what I saw at camp.

I was able to attend the practices on the 5-8th and instead of going over each minute detail (especially days after the fact) I’d go over weird observations I thought I would want as a Bills fan that is out of town.

First, size. Buddy and co were right in terms how much bigger some of the players have gotten! I think in particular Troup, Carrington, Levitre, Bell and Wang stood out in that regard. So much so that newer players like Hairston stood out for their lack of girth, particularly in the legs. Even Kelsay looks like he’s lost a little weight in the stomach and gained a little up top in his chest, which as a vet buying in (despite thoughts on his ability by some) is very helpful for the program.

Secondly, leadership. I don’t know if Chris Brown has mentioned this a lot, but there are guys on both sides of the ball taking ownership of the team. On offense, it was Wood. In particular, during the 8th of August’s practice, where the defense particularly got good pressure, Eric was in the face of the 2nd and 3rd teamers telling them to hold their ground vs their defensive counterparts. He wasn’t all bark however; after the team portion was finished, he would go up to the linemen in question and give him a tip or two on how to counter whatever the defense did. On defense, Merriman’s help has been well documented. But Dareus has been very helpful in particular to big Mike Jasper. Whenever they have a spare second, Marcell is busy showing Big Mike how to have his hands placed when on the line and the importance of his punch and “locking out” the arms as a 2 gap defensive lineman. Jasper has been soaking it up and seems to be getting better; only time (and live fire) will tell.

Third, seeing some of the new pieces in place is very intriguing. Brad Smith to me is a player that will be a “glue guy”. He may not get 1,000 yards rushing or receiving, but I think best case for him would be about that, maybe more in total yardage. In the short time I was there at practice he would do everything from being solely a QB, to playing slot WR, to Wildcat QB and then working on being a returner as well as a gunner on ST. Obviously whatever Chan’s got in store for him in a game-time regard will remain under wraps for a while, but the preview we as fans were afforded was enough to get me excited.

Finally, coaching. I know lament that George Edwards is the dc, but I think he will make some moves this year with the personnel. In particular with the Psycho package they used on the 8th (similar to the “Creep” of years gone by) in which he has Williams and Dareus on the field with 4 linebackers and 5 dbs. A lot of movement, a lot of chaos and it was the cause of a lot of the offensive struggles on Monday. Especially with a 300+ pounder like Carrington in there to replace Kelsay, that was a lot of speed/size to deal with in a very short time. On offense, Chan seems to be his usual self, using a good bit of stack slot receivers and giving a nod to the speed on his team, with some of those formations featuring CJ, Fred, Lee, Roscoe and Stevie together at the same time.

By nature I’m an optimist, heck maybe a full on homer (gasp!) but I truly believe this staff can get it done.

As soon as I return home, I’ll post pictures that I took over the time I’m there. Big thanks to Thoner7 who provided me with a night practice ticket!

Go Bills!