Kelsay better than I thought?

Apparently I was watching a Buffalo Bills team from a parallel universe.

Apparently you were. Your comments might have been accurate for the first 12 weeks of the season, but once they went to a 4-3 Kelsey was in the backfield on a regular basis. Obviously you had already made up your mind on him, and ignored his play at the end of the year. I support Kelsey ONLY as a 4-3 end, he should never have been playing outside LB since he can't cover or play in the open field.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is the key here, Kelsey is not, and SHOULD NOT be an OLB. Last year he started playing a position he NEVER played before, and struggled. This is where the hate comes from. The reason you saw that marked improvement last year, is because Kelsay went back to playing 4-3 where he belongs. Kelsey is not and will not ever be a superstar, but he is a solid hard working player. He should be very effective for the Bills this year in situational 4-3 work. I highly doubt you will see him playing much OLB barring injuries.

That's what I assumed too, but I'm seeing a lot of plays late in the season where he's lined up at OLB, not DE, and he's doing some good things. More good than bad.

I'm actually a little hopeful he'll improve even more with a full season and off-season (sort-of) to adjust to the new position.

That's what I assumed too, but I'm seeing a lot of plays late in the season where he's lined up at OLB, not DE, and he's doing some good things. More good than bad.

I'm actually a little hopeful he'll improve even more with a full season and off-season (sort-of) to adjust to the new position.

I guess it's good to hear he's doing good things, but I hope they plan to use him as a backup OLB. The Bills have such little depth that he has to be at least a backup OLB. I will be concerned if they still want to use him there as a starter though. He looked good as a fresh 4-3 pass rusher, lets just hope he is nothing more than that...Or that he can make a miraculous 3-4 OLB improvement, it was his first year after all. But that seems doubtful.

What's even more impressive is that you could actually sit through one of those games again.

Btw, you do know that Kelsay is #90 right?

So true. You have too much time on your hands to review Chris Kelsay. I'd love to see his highlight reel. What is it so far? 1-5 plays???

Have you been watching practices? Who else has been lining up at OLB? Batten/Moats/Torbor/?... Obviously Merriman is the starter if healther, just not sure about the options on the other side.

There are a couple of things that 3-4 OLBs need to well in order to be effective.

-Change direction

-Closing speed

-Agility/bend

-The ability to play in space

-Be strong at the point of attack

-Rush the QB effectively

Unfortunatly Kelsay does not posses any of those other than maybe being adequate at the POA.

However, it is not Kelsay's fault that he was put in that position and the Bills don't put a premium on drafting someone at that position when every other great 3-4 team does.

He's a strongside end in a 4-3. He's a bad pass rusher who is routinely stunted by Tackles, has no counter moves and doesn't have the speed or agility to bend and turn the corner. He's decent at the point of attack and never quits on a play and that's about it.

Buffalo fans have been watching such talentless football over the years that we convince ourselves that average players are good to above average. See Whitner, Trent, Poz and Lee Evans.

I am not a Kelsay fan. I think he was a good back up defensive lineman and I think he plays well on the outside when they put him on the line. The problem is he is pokey and horrible in space. Teams know this and use this against him. He can't seal the outside against the run and he absolutely cannot cover anyone coming out of the backfield. If he is a starter on a defense then that is not a good sign of the talent level on your roster. I'm expecting to see him get cut before it's all said and done or at the very least be beat out by one of the younger guys.

Buffalo fans have been watching such talentless football over the years that we convince ourselves that average players are good to above average. See Whitner, Trent, Poz and Lee Evans.

I've often thought the same things. We Bills fans have to look so hard for top talent to root for, we often settle for the "best we have". Which usually isn't that good.

It wasn't because he was getting the hang of the 3-4, it was because the quit using him in the 3-4. He played 4-3 end and did play much better the second half of the year.

I've often thought the same things. We Bills fans have to look so hard for top talent to root for, we often settle for the "best we have". Which usually isn't that good.

Same thing could be said that Bills fans are always looking for the greener grass on the other side. Nobody on the team is good and everyone else on another team is always better. How many times has a player been released or let go by another team for a reason (out of shape, too old and brittle, currently injured, etc.) and fans are always talking about bringing that player in because they are such an upgrade over what the Bills currently have

Torbor & Moats are playing ILB, Coleman and Batten would be other options at OLB.

Torbor has played all of the positions, so that makes sense. Interesting to see Moats in the middle. So it seems as if they are looking at Barnett/Torbor as the middle combo at the moment. I thought Coleman looked decent in a very small sample. For those who hate Kelsey, especially at OLB, they better hope Batten or Coleman can show enough to be starters...Batten has been hyped up, it would be sweet for him to show it on the field.

Torbor has played all of the positions, so that makes sense. Interesting to see Moats in the middle. So it seems as if they are looking at Barnett/Torbor as the middle combo at the moment. I thought Coleman looked decent in a very small sample. For those who hate Kelsey, especially at OLB, they better hope Batten or Coleman can show enough to be starters...Batten has been hyped up, it would be sweet for him to show it on the field.

Andra Davis is starting at ILB, not Torbor

Same thing could be said that Bills fans are always looking for the greener grass on the other side. Nobody on the team is good and everyone else on another team is always better. How many times has a player been released or let go by another team for a reason (out of shape, too old and brittle, currently injured, etc.) and fans are always talking about bringing that player in because they are such an upgrade over what the Bills currently have

Well seeing that the Bills are in a division with the Pats and Jets...the grass is definitely greener over there right? :wallbash:

I hope that Kelsey plays end in the 4-3. As some people have said 2 million him is not bad.

Kelsey does make more plays than you think. But he won't get an INT as a OLB or will be get 10 sacks a year.

Coaches love the guy for a reason. If he made a few more game changing plays a year people would love the dude. Darius will make him a even better player. It goes hand in hand.