Our "should-be" SEC defensive front

dayman

We need to get a little more SEC up front I think. How would you feel about this?

Merriman (Maryland)........Crowder (Florida).........Burnett (Tenn).......Moats (James Madison...lol)

..................Williams (LSU).................Troupe (UCF)..................Dareus (Bama)

(rotations MLBs Brandon Hicks (Florida...will surprise IMO) and Andra Davis (Florida...is solid already IMO)...

No need to sign both Crowder and Burnett. Especially with Sheppard on the roster. But I like the idea :thumbsup:

Id also like to see us add an OLB from the SEC next year, and another DL to replace the aging Edwards.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kyle like it or not will not be moving to DE in the 34, he is our NT.

Says who? And why not?

Edited by DrDareustein

Kyle like it or not will not be moving to DE in the 34, he is our NT.

Dude played his butt off last year in that role and went to the pro bowl...... and garnered more league/media attention than in any prior season. I think he'll be OK with it. Besides.....he's gonna maul whoever is in front of him anyway.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

he played 1 season at NT, and did very well after MANY people said he wouldnt. He is a gamer in the trenches. Much like Dareus, I dont think it matters much where he lines up.

I'll post this link again because I think it's one of the best pure football articles Ive ever read. It also shows a handful of ways Williams can be used all over the line, and as a 3-4 DE...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

Hybrid Bullough-Fairbanks 3-4 Defense with Gap Shooting Weak-side End

This defensive formation looks exactly like the base defense - except that on the snap, Williams penetrates into the weak-side B gap. This defense would stress the offense in a couple ways. Williams would have to be blocked while penetrating; not an easy task. If the left guard blocks Williams, that eliminates any double team that Troup might see from the weak-side, which itself could stop an offense from executing any weak-side runs. If the tackle blocks Williams, it leaves a running back to block Merriman, a clear mismatch. Don't forget that behind the line, Paul Posluszny would remain unblocked and free to take on the fullback in the hole, or flow directly to the running back.

Edited by DrDareustein

I'll post this link again because I think it's one of the best pure football articles Ive ever read. It also shows a handful of ways Williams can be used all over the line, and as a 3-4 DE...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

that's really a great article. thanks.

I see now where you're coming from. Hopefully with new talent and new coaches (Wanny) Williams will outperform last years exceptional effort. Personally, I still love him as a pure nose but with so much specialization he should only get better. He's a playmaker.....let him play.

that's really a great article. thanks.

I see now where you're coming from. Hopefully with new talent and new coaches (Wanny) Williams will outperform last years exceptional effort. Personally, I still love him as a pure nose but with so much specialization he should only get better. He's a playmaker.....let him play.

Glad you liked it! It was the first time Ive seen the different DL techniques explained clearly.

Yeah, all Im saying about Williams is he is a machine, and he's versatile. We, as fans, shouldnt pigeon-hole him with our expectations. People said he couldnt play NT, he went to the Pro Bowl. No reason to think he couldnt play 3-4 DE with Merriman on the line next to him. Just keeping an open mind and our options open. Dont care where we line up Williams and Dareus, just get them on the field and tell them "Go Get 'Em!" :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

yes i think he can play 34 DE but the staff has said he is thier NT. Will things change if Troup becomes what the staff and I think, a very good NT, sure but I'll wait and see.

i hear ya, my point is "last year was last year". with just the addition of Dareus, we have a revamped line, let alone if Troup and Carrington develop. things might, and could change. plus with their versatility, id like to see us mix things up and keep the OL guessing. cant wait to see what the kids can do!

Edited by DrDareustein