The Camel's Nose

Uh...perhaps I should have added background. If I ended up working in a job like the ones on 8th street, my grandmother would have beaten me with more than a wooden spoon.

Anybody can work a schit job and not speak English here. But, that's not really the definition of "be successful" is it?

I notice that Marco Rubio speaks better English than most WASPs I know. He's from around that way, right? I bet Paco the cuban sandwich stand employee wishes he knew English that well, because Rubio could very easily end up being President some day.

Actually, the only reason I brought that up is because there are pockets in Miami, where you will hear and see almost no English. There is very little, if any, incentive for the people who live, work and do business there, to learn English. They get along quite nicely without it. But their children go to school and learn English and by the time their children have children, Spanish will get put on the shelf, along with pictures of grandma and grandpa.

Marco Rubio's parents are Cuban, but he was born and raised in Miami. You hear how he speaks and that is only 1 generation. And so it goes.

Prepare to be assimilated.

Edited by DrFishfinder

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the only reason I brought that up is because there are pockets in Miami, where you will hear and see almost no English. There is very little, if any, incentive for the people who live, work and do business there, to learn English. They get along quite nicely without it. But their children go to school and learn English and by the time their children have children, Spanish will get put on the shelf, along with pictures of grandma and grandpa.

Marco Rubio's parents are Cuban, but he was born and raised in Miami. You hear how he speaks and that is only 1 generation. And so it goes.

Prepare to be assimilated.

So, if the Spanish language will be put on the shelf, who's being assimilated here?

So, if the Spanish language will be put on the shelf, who's being assimilated here?

Did I not infer that foreign speaking people's native languages will be assimilated in 2-3 generations? If not, please excuse my lack of ham-handed inferage.

Did I not infer that foreign speaking people's native languages will be assimilated in 2-3 generations? If not, please excuse my lack of ham-handed inferage.

It was confusing. You stated "prepare to be assimilated" after previously stating that the foreign language was going to be put on the shelf. When you said "prepare to be assimilated" who were you speaking to? The newcomer or the citizen?

It was confusing. You stated "prepare to be assimilated" after previously stating that the foreign language was going to be put on the shelf. When you said "prepare to be assimilated" who were you speaking to? The newcomer or the citizen?

I bet 20 quatloos on the newcomer.