The problem with building VIA draft

i really do not think one single FA player made a particular team a super bowl contender. it is obviously a process, but the steelers picking up farrior, saints picking up sharper, indy grabbing vinateri were all vital contributors to their respective teams.keep in mind, those teams did not have the horrible drafts that the bills have had, they had their foundation, thru the draft. i agree it takes patience, but you can win right away, it no longer takes 5 years.

Agreed. But all those teams were substantially built via the draft and the incoming FA was more of a final piece. I just think we need too many pieces to go 40 mil on one guy....unless he's a QB. Thee QB.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot JUST rely upon building through the draft when you have years like 2007 - Poz's draft year. Now that he's gone, we have none, zero, nada players from that draft!!! Four short years ago and not one player drafted that year is on the roster. Granted it was not on Nix's watch, but it points out the fallacy in his thinking. One or two Free Agency pieces per year - at least one of them a starter, should be their target as long as the team dwells in the lower half of the league, maybe the lower 75%.

Heck, even Buddy says they chart all the FA's and if there is a guy out there that will improve the team, they will go after him. So my question is if you were, say . . . 4-12 last year, & had only 1 pro-bowler, dontcha think there might be 1 or 2 guys out there who can help you???? It is an insult to our intelligence to say no.

Now it's only Wed, and Fri 6pm is when players can actually sign; and Thurs - all teams will be making some roster adjustments . . . so Buddy may still get a player or two, let's hope he does or this will be another 4-12 to 6-10 year.

Since trades are becoming more scarce, the draft and Free Agency are really the only ways you can build a team. I agree the draft should be your foundation and FA's should be the missing pieces that can get you over the top. But when your draft choices either fail to make your team or they choose not to sign a 2nd contract after 4-5 years, you REALLY need to utilize Free Agency to avoid falling behind your competition.

Yeah, what I said.

Ignoring FA is completely asinine. No one is saying go out and sign Nnamdi Asomugha or spend a ton of cash on 30+ year old vets. But there were a lot of young guys that are talented that the Bills refuse to look at. How about filling a couple of holes via FA which then opens up your draft the following year. They obviously had a bunch of money earmarked for Poz. Why not go out and spend that on Barrett Ruud?

You need to add pieces whenever they can. This BS of simply waiting to select 7 new players each season and that's the only way to improve is complete bull ****.

Bingo, Ramius! I'm all for building your foundation (and the majority of your team) via the draft but come on...you also have to supplement with a couple of quality free agents because there's no way you can fix every area of need with the draft or even UDFAs. Like you said, you don't break the bank with stupid moves, ala the Deadskins, but you don't completely ignore an important avenue that's available to you either. That's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

So you're saying that Thigpen is a glory hole?

:w00t: