Why the delay to start the season?

Virgil

Can someone please explain this to me?

When it was rumored that the lockout would end Thursday, the scenario was that players could enter facilities on Friday, rookies and internal players could be signed from saturday to monday, and then free agency would happen right afterwards.

Now, the deal can happen on monday, but nothing will happen until Saturday?

What's the deal and the delay. If they wait till Saturday, won't week 1 of the pre-season essentially be cancelled costing them over 50 mil?

I don't know, I'm asking. They've been talking all along about how much time they need and now they are pushing it all a week back. The one report I did just read said that only external Free Agency would start Saturday and that all rookies and internal FA's could be signed as soon as everything is signed, which makes more sense.

Training camp will not be delayed. Signing free agents will. What will happen is training camps will open almost immediately for all players under contract. Free agents will sort of be like rookies always were- they will show up as soon as they are signed. Free agency and training camp will be happening at the same time.