Ed Hochuli explains all

Ed Hochli is the worst official in football and needs to be fired.

He made one horrendous call, which, unfortunately has branded him...similar to wrong way Marshall's bad moment. If you examine the body of work though, a different conclusion would be drawn. A man should not be judged harshly for one bad day, unless of course it's O.J.

He made one horrendous call, which, unfortunately has branded him...similar to wrong way Marshall's bad moment. If you examine the body of work though, a different conclusion would be drawn. A man should not be judged harshly for one bad day, unless of course it's O.J.

This raises a question for me in terms of what of the worse blown call you have ever seen.

The winner hands down for me was a ref blowing the coin flip in an OT game, calling the flip in favor of one team when the other team had correctly called it.

I think it was Phil Luckett, and whoever it was actually got off pretty lightly in my view as he simply deserved to lose his job, but I remember vaguely this same ref blowing a regular game call in another game.

Its interesting to me that it and I think other ref travesties do not get the often deserved repetitious TV rehashes because the network which owns the rights to the flub have no financial interest in being journalists about the story. Professional responsibility loses badly to money in these cases.

Yet another example of these events merely being entertainment productions rather than real stuff meriting news coverage.

This raises a question for me in terms of what of the worse blown call you have ever seen.

The winner hands down for me was a ref blowing the coin flip in an OT game, calling the flip in favor of one team when the other team had correctly called it.

I think it was Phil Luckett, and whoever it was actually got off pretty lightly in my view as he simply deserved to lose his job, but I remember vaguely this same ref blowing a regular game call in another game.

Its interesting to me that it and I think other ref travesties do not get the often deserved repetitious TV rehashes because the network which owns the rights to the flub have no financial interest in being journalists about the story. Professional responsibility loses badly to money in these cases.

Yet another example of these events merely being entertainment productions rather than real stuff meriting news coverage.

Actually a redo of additional info. A quick check of You Tube revealed an ESPN list featuring the top 10 blown calls.

Luckett barely scrapped in at #10 with his missed coin call (it was confirmed for me however, that this was consequential in that Detroit took this gift and turned getting the ball first into a gamewinning FG.. The most humorous part of this whole episode was watching Jerome Bettis yelling no I said heads/tails as Luckect rolls along clearly thinking more about getting home in time for turkey than his job.

In addition, Hochuli's blown call only made #6 on the list as his missed call while understandable in the fury of game action (this is one reason why the missed coin flip stands out for me as in this case Luckett really had one thing to do without any game distractions interfering in him doing his job right) it was also consequential as the game was decided by his miscue with not appeal for the losers. This call was given the credit (blame) for instant replay coming into the game.

The winner btw was Jim Joyce flat out blowing the call and costing a kid a perfect game on what was clearly an out at first.

In fact, the call was so egregious that Joyce himself was a stand-up guy and flat-out admitted he simply blew the call and cost the kid a perfect game after he worked so hard to retire 26 straight.

Thanks ESPN for some good journalism on these stories and I hope the NFL did not beat your producers up too badly

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9pbgIgwuls < is the linky

Edited by Hplarrm

Even though I've never really made that big of a deal out of the "no goal" game because there no guarantee that that we wouldn't have won that game or game 7 in Dallas. I'm still glad to see it so high on the list.

Even though I've never really made that big of a deal out of the "no goal" game because there no guarantee that that we wouldn't have won that game or game 7 in Dallas. I'm still glad to see it so high on the list.

Worst. Call. Evar.

Well said. I could add that Leon Lett got branded after Don Beebe chased him down and spoiled his hotdogging moment. For anyone criticizing refs, it's easier to ref from the stands or he TV chair, than when the whistle is in your hand. After being forced to fill-in for absent refs in youth and adult rec sports, I got a new appreciation for what they do. It's not as easy as it looks.