Ralph Wilson is so old...

Without exaggerating, it's possible that Ralph Wilson has met someone who personally knew a Revolutionary War veteran. The last of those guys died in the 1860s, and someone born in 1860 would still be in his 70s when Ralph was born. It's not likely, but it's possible.

This is a REALLY funny thread overall, but this post made me stop and think. This means that Ralph may have actually met someone who was born into slavery, and yet he has lived long enough to see Obama get elected. As you point out - - it may not be likely BECAUSE HE'S SO OLD HE CAN'T SEE THE TV OR HEAR THE RADIO ANYMORE, but it's possible.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without exaggerating, it's possible that Ralph Wilson has met someone who personally knew a Revolutionary War veteran. The last of those guys died in the 1860s, and someone born in 1860 would still be in his 70s when Ralph was born. It's not likely, but it's possible.

I have a great appreciation for history and often read about it. On many an occassion I wonder about the degrees of separation between elderly gents with peeps of the past. At this point in time it's still not out of the question that a live person is only 2 degrees of separation from one who was involved in the Revolutionary War. The odds now are supremely slight but yet still it's conceivable. For example Ralph in his younger years could have met John D Rockefeller who passed in the early 1930's but was born in the late 1830's (if memory serves). John D could have met any number of Revolutionary heros in their elderly years. Ralph's time on Earth just puts a lot of things in perspective.

This is a REALLY funny thread overall, but this post made me stop and think. This means that Ralph may have actually met someone who was born into slavery, and yet he has lived long enough to see Obama get elected. As you point out - - it may not be likely BECAUSE HE'S SO OLD HE CAN'T SEE THE TV OR HEAR THE RADIO ANYMORE, but it's possible.

People live a long time, as it turns out. The last World War I veterans died this year. The last civil war veteran made it until the 1950s, overlapping with my parents, and the last widow of a civil war vet died in 2004. Note some sketchy circumstances on that last one - http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0908934.html. Marrying an 86 year old with a pension to get out of poverty at age 19.