How satisfied are you?

If Shawn Nelson can stay healthy and learn how to block, he might be all we need. The kid has already shown some flashes.

That's a big "IF." There is also a guy named Weslye Saunders from South Carolina who was considered a top TE prospect going into last year, but he got kicked-off the team. He'd be worth signing as an UDFA, whenever that's allowed to happen. <_<

I've been fanatically following the draft for >20 years now and as best I can tell based on my

favorite draft "scouting services" (ProFootballWeekly and GM Jr - Russ Lande was an NFL scout

for Cleveland ant Stl.), the Bills did well and addressed needs. One thing that I've learned

over the years of following the draft is that every team has a different draft board based on

skills/traits coveted, schemes and needs (among other things). The draft prognosticators

and websites seem to do a pretty good job of identifying the to 15-20 players and are OK

up until a little into the 2nd round. Once the 2nd round starts, there are many "reaches", but

who is right? The NFL teams that spend $millions scouting the players or the the draft services

who scout their own players with significantly less resources or the purely "media" web sites

who go by what they are fed by NFL "sources" and what other sites say?

IMHO, I hated the idea that they might take Cam Newton. He might be great, but to me he has

never demonstrated the skills that make great NFL QBs (fast decision making, hitting receivers

that are open by an inch). I agree that he has ALL of the PHYSICAL tools and then some to succeed.

I just don't think, based on the academic cheating and other off-field transgressions, that he is

a slam-dunk to be a good NFL QB. To me, he is the anti-Ryan Fitzpatrick. Now, I don't think

Fitz can lead this team to the Super Bowl w/o an all-time great D, but in terms of building a

good team, I agree with the Bills' moves.

I love the idea of Dareus at #3. He has the potential to significantly upgrade the Bills' run D. I

expect that he will play 3-4 DE, so teams could run away from him, but at least the Bills will

know that and can slant additional run help that way..

I am so-so on Aaron Williams in round 2. I know he was rated a borderline round 1 pick, but

I am not sure where he plays. If he becomes an answer at CB or S, then this is a good pick.

In round 3, I loved the Kelvin Sheppard selection. Given that the Bills staff coached him for a week,

could they possibly know any more about a prospect?

Round 4: Russ Lande liked DaNorris Searcy and S was a need position. He is reportedly big and

has some coverage skills associated with smaller safeties. OT Hairston was someone who I liked

based on ProFootballWeekly's analysis.

I liked what I read about RB Johnny White's football temperament and special teams ability along

with his production at RB with limited opps.

Beyond that, I am intrigued by the Bills' last pick, Michael Jasper. That they even know who this

guy is is a testament to the thoroughness of their scouting. He has the ht, weight, strength

of a potential contributor and looks to have much better athleticism than a 380 pounder should.

I think he is a long-shot, but has a chance to contribute in the next couple years, provided that

he really sets his mind to it.

If Shawn Nelson can stay healthy and learn how to block, he might be all we need. The kid has already shown some flashes.

Negative. Those were flickers from a lighter as he took a bong rip.

That's a big "IF." There is also a guy named Weslye Saunders from South Carolina who was considered a top TE prospect going into last year, but he got kicked-off the team. He'd be worth signing as an UDFA, whenever that's allowed to happen. <_<

Schuyler Oordt is out there too.

Judging by the way this staff graded draftees and brought in free agents last year, I would hope they have a better plan this year. The Bills still need a tight end and right tackle that is worth a damn, could use another top guard if Wood stays at center. Plus they still need help in the pass rush area and a decent backup QB to Fitz as I doubt Levi Brown can handle a start.

I apologize if something like this has been posted but with rounds one through seven all done, how do you feel overall about our draft?

I am happy. Maybe a OL in round 3 but I cant complain

many experts i read said our day 3 picks turned a good draft into a great draft. i think like a lot of the pundits including gill brandt think we had a great draft.

just because we never heard of our day 3 picks the experts did and all said we got great value with our day 3 picks.

they loved our first 3 picks then our day 3 picks represented great value and had much higher grades than where we picked them.

Edited by djrocks

They picked-up a decent RT prospect in round 4. I was thinking TE, but after looking at it again, the TE class was poor, they might still be high on Shawn Nelson and Scott Chandler, and there are several top FA TE's, when the FA market opens.

As for QB, this was also a weak class and no one the Bills could have picked would have done better than Fitz. Might as well continue to develop Fitz and Brown, and sign an UDFA QB.

I agree about Scott Chandler. Statistically he was the most productive. It'd be nice getting Nelson on the field too.

I agree about Scott Chandler. Statistically he was the most productive. It'd be nice getting Nelson on the field too.

Chandler had only 1 reception for 8 yards. But he joined the team mid-season and was used mostly as a blocker. Given his size (6'7" 272#, which is bigger than Metzelaars), speed (4.78), and history at Iowa (17th in school history in receiving yards, 2nd among TE's, to Dallas Clark) he could be a big factor in the passing game, as well as the run game with his blocking.

I apologize if something like this has been posted but with rounds one through seven all done, how do you feel overall about our draft?

I am happy. Maybe a OL in round 3 but I cant complain

I am very happy with the players they selected (after reading the write-ups on these guys).

RB Johnny White is a very skilled (4.45 speed?) guy - can pass protect, etc.

CB Justin Rogers has a great skill set as well, even some wildcat possibilities (I think it was Rogers)

NT Michael Jasper - I love this guy's story (had to go to the feed store to get weighed!)

I kept wondering when a QB would be picked, but there was always better value at another position. Many posters B word about 3 DBs, but the roster was quite thin at DB.

I hate to make the comparison so soon, but I think Marcell Dareus will bring what the Bills have missed since Bruce Smith left.

I am excited, in spite of the lockout BS.

I was pleased by this draft.

I really didn't want a QB at any spot ; I was a little desapointed to not pick a OL early because I fealt it was a need. And a little desapointed too to see so much DB picks.

Dareus compensate a lot this.

Overall B+ or A- in my book.