(OT) Rumor of new DirecTV feature

Fezmid

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...20&pagenumber=1

This is still all vaporware at this point, but the speculation is that you will be able to watch any show recorded on any DirecTV/TiVo in the house, all ove the existing coax in your house (ie: record something on the TiVo in your bedroom, watch it in the living room). Very cool if it turns out to be true.

Apparantly Voom did a demo of something similar, except they actually architected it like that from the start -- you have a Voom "server" in your house, and then multiple thin-clients connected to your TVs in the house. However, it used ethernet, whereas this (rumor) is that it will use existing coax.

I've been hoping for something like this for awhile.

CW

This is still all vaporware at this point, but the speculation is that you will be able to watch any show recorded on any DirecTV/TiVo in the house, all ove the existing coax in your house (ie: record something on the TiVo in your bedroom, watch it in the living room).  Very cool if it turns out to be true.

Apparantly Voom did a demo of something similar, except they actually architected it like that from the start -- you have a Voom "server" in your house, and then multiple thin-clients connected to your TVs in the house.  However, it used ethernet, whereas this (rumor) is that it will use existing coax.

CW

162998[/snapback]

This has been in the hopper for a while. I recall that it was a rights issue, similar to our Tracy Lee thread. Tivo already has an ethernet port. Content owners are scared that once you're allowed to send digitized Tivo programming over the home LAN, it won't take too much effort to distribute it beyond the home LAN, right from the TiVo box, instead of the home PC. Sounds like they're making some progress on copy protections.

You probably know this, but this is already being done by third party equipment allowing you to distribute multiple video sources over Cat-5 cable to any location in the house. You tie all your video sources into the box, then run Cat-5 out of that box to any room with a TV, plug the cable into a converter box, then go out of the converter box with regular video cables into your display device. Can also be done with hi-def signals up to 5000' away with no loss in video signal.

Of course, this is done in the homes of the rich. Folks like us need TIVO et. al. to catch up.

This has been in the hopper for a while

It's been speculated for a long time, but now it finally looks like it's going to be coming sooner rather than later, based on the hooks found in the software.

I'm not sure if it was delayed due to copying concerns or support concerns. I would tend to think the latter; DirecTV, since they only charge $4.99/month (of which, TiVo only gets roughly $1-2) for the service, don't want to have to tie up valuable customer service time stepping regular Joe User through the setup. TiVo, on the other hand, charges $12.99/month, and gets the whole chunk for themselves so can (presumably) afford to pay for the support. Plus, they get extra for a second receiver, whereas there is no extra fee for a second DirecTV/TiVo box.

But it's all speculation at this point (both the reason why it's not out yet, and about when/if it's coming).

CW

You probably know this, but this is already being done by third party equipment allowing you to distribute multiple video sources over Cat-5 cable to any location in the house. You tie all your video sources into the box, then run Cat-5 out of that box to any room with a TV, plug the cable into a converter box, then go out of the converter box with regular video cables into your display device. Can also be done with hi-def signals up to 5000' away with no loss in video signal.

Of course, this is done in the homes of the rich. Folks like us need TIVO et. al. to catch up.

163013[/snapback]

I would like to ask you a question. I am building a house and have a data closet where my NID & cable TV will be pulled. Nothing is external to the house, everything is terminated at the data closet. The satellite signal will run to this closet, too. I will have a whole house surge protector and will also protect any external signal (phone, cable, satellite) in the data closet. All my distribution will be from this closet. I was planning on running cat5e for network/phone and quad shielded RG-6 to the designated locations in the house. I was considering cat6 but decided to go with cat5e. I am planning on using 14 gauge for speakers rather than 16 gauge even if some are low end. Based on what you know, should I run an extra cat5e instead of two RG-6s to everywhere I will have a TV monitor? Any other suggestions? Thanks

I would like to ask you a question. I am building a house and have a data closet where my NID & cable TV will be pulled. Nothing is external to the house, everything is terminated at the data closet. The satellite signal will run to this closet, too. I will have a whole house surge protector and will also protect any external signal (phone, cable, satellite) in the data closet. All my distribution will be from this closet. I was planning on running cat5e for network/phone and quad shielded RG-6 to the designated locations in the house. I was considering cat6 but decided to go with cat5e. I am planning on using 14 gauge for speakers rather than 16 gauge even if some are low end. Based on what you know, should I run an extra cat5e instead of two RG-6s to everywhere I will have a TV monitor? Any other suggestions? Thanks

163060[/snapback]

Why wouldn't you go Cat 6?

This is still all vaporware at this point, but the speculation is that you will be able to watch any show recorded on any DirecTV/TiVo in the house, all ove the existing coax in your house (ie: record something on the TiVo in your bedroom, watch it in the living room).  Very cool if it turns out to be true.

Apparantly Voom did a demo of something similar, except they actually architected it like that from the start -- you have a Voom "server" in your house, and then multiple thin-clients connected to your TVs in the house.  However, it used ethernet, whereas this (rumor) is that it will use existing coax.

CW

162998[/snapback]

Shouldn't this be on the Consumer Page? :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't you go Cat 6?

163064[/snapback]

Probably because it doesn't officially exist. Last I checked, the spec wasn't ratified yet. Cat5e supports gigabit ethernet, so what's the point?

To answer the question -- I have two RG6-QS and two cat5e going to every room in my house. However, you might want to run at least 3 RG6, and use the 3rd one for Highdef. I lucked out in that I can use the existing cableTV runs for my highdef. The two cat5e each room lets me put both data and voice anywhere I want, and allows the flexibility to have two data instead if I prefer, etc.

CW

Probably because it doesn't officially exist.  Last I checked, the spec wasn't ratified yet.  Cat5e supports gigabit ethernet, so what's the point?

To answer the question -- I have two RG6-QS and two cat5e going to every room in my house.  However, you might want to run at least 3 RG6, and use the 3rd one for Highdef.  I lucked out in that I can use the existing cableTV runs for my highdef.  The two cat5e each room lets me put both data and voice anywhere I want, and allows the flexibility to have two data instead if I prefer, etc.

CW

163081[/snapback]

Thanks - what do you mean you "lucked out". Shouldn't I also be able to use one of the two coax for HD?

Thanks - what do you mean you "lucked out". Shouldn't I also be able to use one of the two coax for HD?

163090[/snapback]

A DirecTV/TiVo unit uses two coax so you can record multiple shows at the same time. I would've been screwed if I didn't have the third coax from the cable company (only good thing they've ever done for me!). So that's why you need 3.

CW

A DirecTV/TiVo unit uses two coax so you can record multiple shows at the same time.  I would've been screwed if I didn't have the third coax from the cable company (only good thing they've ever done for me!).  So that's why you need 3.

CW

163133[/snapback]

I only have two cables running to my DirecTivo High Def Machine. I have a diplexer at the DirecTV antenna which puts the antenna feed on the same cable as one of the satellite feeds. I then un-diplex it (is there a word for that?) at the receiver and plug three cables into my receiver. Works like a champ!

I only have two cables running to my DirecTivo High Def Machine.  I have a diplexer at the DirecTV antenna which puts the antenna feed on the same cable as one of the satellite feeds.  I then un-diplex it (is there a word for that?) at the receiver and plug three cables into my receiver.  Works like a champ!

163150[/snapback]

That works fine if you only want to go to one device; but I wanted to distribute the HD signal throughout the house (for the future).

CW

ReplayTV already has this feature for quite a while. One can record in the living room and then watch the recorded program from another replaytv unit. In fact using

DVArchive (s/w program) you can convert hook up your PC with the ReplayTV

network (local) and watch the programs recorded on replay-tv on your computer using stream media viewer like VideoLAN.

Replay TV Comes with a USB and a Ethernet output. However, they disabled

their USB support and provide only ethernet support. But it is pretty cool...

You can also download the programs on to the PCs local disk using the

DVArchive program and watch them on your PC (or burn DVDs of the programs)

ReplayTV already has this feature for quite a while. One can record in the living room and then watch the recorded program from another replaytv unit.  In fact using

DVArchive (s/w program) you can convert hook up your PC with the ReplayTV

network (local) and watch the programs recorded on replay-tv on your computer using  stream media viewer like VideoLAN.

Replay TV Comes with a USB and a Ethernet output. However, they disabled

their USB support and provide only ethernet support. But it is pretty cool...

You can also download the programs on to the PCs local disk using the

DVArchive program and watch them on your PC (or burn DVDs of the programs)

163267[/snapback]

TIVO also does that. We're talking about being able to do it without needing another device.

You should already be able to do this with a TiVo box, you just have to open it yourself and fiddle with the hardware (some soldering may be involved).

I have heard from good sources that the networking feature WILL be available on DIRECTV...however, the boxes will not be TiVO enabled. It will be a proprietary DIRECTV piece of hardware called X-Box or something like that.