(OT) King Arthur: Is it a good movie?

PIZ

I'm thinking of buying this DVD next week.  It comes out December 21st.  Is the movie good enough to buy?  If I remember correctly, it got mixed reviews.

162684[/snapback]

Two Words: Jerry Bruckheimer. 'Nuff Said.

It certainly is a little different take on the whole King Arthur story - Its more of a "realistic" telling. There is no sword in the stone, merlin, etc.

Overall I would give it 4/5 stars.

If you like movies in that genre, its a must buy!

Keira Knightley looks sexy shooting a bow :)

It certainly is a little different take on the whole King Arthur story - Its more of a "realistic" telling.  There is no sword in the stone, merlin, etc.

Overall I would give it 4/5 stars. 

If you like movies in that genre, its a must buy!

Keira Knightley looks sexy shooting a bow :)

162742[/snapback]

Merlin is in it... but he's a pikey type of guy who might-of sorta maybe have magical powers... but probably not.

Merlin is in it... but he's a pikey type of guy who might-of sorta maybe have magical powers... but probably not.

162746[/snapback]

Well, the movie is based on one of the potential "true" King Arthurs, one of the man considered as the source of the myth. This is supposed to be pseudo-historical (based on actual events), as opposed to complete fantasy (based on "legends").

Having said that, I haven't seen the movie, so I can't provide actual review input, but hopefully the context helps...

Well, the movie is based on one of the potential "true" King Arthurs, one of the man considered as the source of the myth.  This is supposed to be pseudo-historical (based on actual events), as opposed to complete fantasy (based on "legends").

Having said that, I haven't seen the movie, so I can't provide actual review input, but hopefully the context helps...

162756[/snapback]

You are entirely right. It deals with Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table as young men plucked from their lands of birth (i think somewhere near syria) and transplanted to England to fight for the roman empire. Arthur was already in england I think - his father being the previous ruler of the area south of Hadrians Wall...

Anyway they all grow up and face the threat of invasion from a bunch of Danes or Norwegians or something. Just before they can all be set free from their incarceration as Knights they are sent by Rome to rescue some dude and his family the other side of Hadrians Wall.... It goes on from their with Arthur getting a concsience, fighting the Danes (or whatever) alongside Kiera Knightly (whom he rescus from a torture chamber).

When they eventually are given their papers to leave the roman empires army or England protectors they decide that they can't go home and stay put. The end.

This is seriously abridged - not too much of a spoiler as there is loads of action and fighting and stuff. It's a good movie...

Get the unrated version.

Antoine Fuqua (the director) originally envisioned this movie to be an R rated, gritty movie along the lines of Braveheart. He was 6 weeks into shooting the flick when Disney decided they wanted to use Arthur as their "Family Christmas movie", thus they told Fuqua to make the movie PG or PG-13. Fuqua was PISSED and almost walked off the set.

So they struck a deal, shoot a PG-13 movie for the theaters, but continue to shoot his "grittier" version for a special DVD. Fuqua put his heart and sole into the unrated version, not the theatrical release.

So get the unrated version.

Get the unrated version.

Antoine Fuqua (the director) originally envisioned this movie to be an R rated, gritty movie along the lines of Braveheart. He was 6 weeks into shooting the flick when Disney decided they wanted to use Arthur as their "Family Christmas movie", thus they told Fuqua to make the movie PG or PG-13. Fuqua was PISSED and almost walked off the set.

So they struck a deal, shoot a PG-13 movie for the theaters, but continue to shoot his "grittier" version for a special DVD. Fuqua put his heart and sole into the unrated version, not the theatrical release.

So get the unrated version.

162923[/snapback]

I can vouch for that... I watched it at the theatre and thought 'poop'. The Mrs like it so I got her the Directors Cut DVD... awesome

I can vouch for that... I watched it at the theatre and thought 'poop'. The Mrs like it so I got her the Directors Cut DVD... awesome

163006[/snapback]

I can't wait to see it personally. I avoided the theatrical release because I just knew how pissed Fuqua was, so I assumed it couldn't be good.