If you were San Diego, what do you do

stevestojan

This means sandiego will go from division winners, playoffs to bottom of the barrell in 2005.

162301[/snapback]

If the supporting cast has improved dramatically in SD that has helped in

the emergence of Brees, may be they don't miss a beat. Look at the

Steelers....Big Ben came into the right situation (good RBs, good WRs

good TEs and a dominating OL) and has not missed a beat....SD could do

the same.

I think the Bolts should keep Drew and trade Rivers. Drew is showing he has it. He is young and won't be cheap. Rivers can fetch a high draft pick now, but his value will go down if he sits on the bench another year.

Easy choice in my humble opinion.

Can you say "quarterback controversy?"

I don't know that any team can afford the kind of cap hit San Diego would take if they traded Rivers this offseason. They could afford to trade Brees from a cap perspective, but I don't know how the San Diego fans would like that. He would bring a first round pick, I think. If they keep both, half the fans will probably be upset no matter who is on the field.

In San Diego's defense, Drew Brees' play was definitely disappointing before this year. They could not have known for certain that he was going to blossom this season.

The question I have to ask is....why is this a problem...

Its a win win for the chargers.....they still have rivers...they are going to get a first for Breez

And they are having a great year.........

161885[/snapback]

because Rivers will be a total bust in the NFL.

they should keep Brees and dump Rivers on some sucker desperate for a QB.

ypu can't trade him because the cap hit would be massive, plus you paid him a huge bonus for not playing.

You have to franchise Brees and trade him like the Bills did with Price.

Getting a low first or a second round pick is better than getting nothing, and you drafted Rivers with the intent that he was the future a QB.  You made the bed, now lie in it!

162044[/snapback]

the cap hit will not be massive because SDS structured the signing bonus in tiers. There is a large payment of abut $6 mil due early in 2005 which the trade partner would pay and get to amortize on its cap. SD would eat less than $4mil I believe and has about $20 mil of cap space to use.

Since about 50% of 1st round QB's bust, the chance that Rivers joins Big Ben and Losman as successful QBs is limited, so keeping the surer thing in Brees would be the safer play.

I live in San Diego and everything I hear is that Drew Brees will get the franchise tag and be playing and starting for the Chargers in 2005. The primary reason for this is two-fold. His value is rated as a late first of early 2nd round draft pick because he has no history of success. Also the Chargers are 20+ million under the cap for 2005 and have plenty of space for Brees. Rivers will be the starter in San Diego in 2006 as A.J. Smith has said consistently that he will not trade Rivers.

This is the latest as far as the news media and radio talk shows say.

I think just about everyone assumed Drew Brees wouldn't be a charger next year, but now that they are a 'powehouse', I would see no reason to get rid of him.

Rivers, on the other hand, could probably get you a 1st and 2nd rounder, or whatever your needs are.

The Chargers already have their own first rounder next year, plus the one from the Giants.

They could possible have THREE first round picks if they were to trade him away.

Brees is only 25, and obviously not making 1st round money like Rivers would be.

If I was San Diego, I would trade him, get a 1st and a 2nn(or third), pick up a backup QB in the second in 2005, and then swim around in all of my 1st round picks for a while.

161763[/snapback]

I'd franchise DB. If I get a good offer, I'd trade him. If not keep him for at least one more year and see if he can put two back to back years together. If so, then maybe trade Rivers as after two years his cap hit will start to go down.

You're taking a big chance giving up on a guy who might really have finally figured things our in DB, to keep a guy who has proved nothing. Would definelty set San Diego back a couple years at best.

Guest assclown

So, your question is...if I was a city in SoCal what would I do about water running though my midst?

Seeing as how I (SD) sit right on the Pacific Ocean I have a huge appreciation for rivers. No rivers=no oceans. No oceans=no pretty girls in thongs. No pretty girls in thongs=bored citizens of SD. Bored citizens of SD=travel to Mexico. Travel to Mexico=sex shows. Sex shows in Mexico=donkey acts. SD doesn't like donkey acts.

Since about 50% of 1st round QB's bust, the chance that Rivers joins Big Ben and Losman as successful QBs is limited, so keeping the surer thing in Brees would be the safer play.

162675[/snapback]

Obie...have to love that optimism....why do you say that Losman is a success?

I think the situation sucks for the Chargers. It may seem like a "good" problem to have, but it is such a risky situation. The Bolts still have the Ryan Leaf stigma and for the first time in years, they have a upper-echelon QB who is leading them to the playoffs. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to trade Rivers due to his cap #. BUT if they trade Brees, they risk giving away their one decent QB of the last decade and looking like total jackasses IF Rivers flops. It's gotta be a nail biter either way. I would lean towards trading Brees because:

a) It is more plausible $$$ wise

b) I am of the opinion that Rivers will be a GREAT NFL Quarterback.

c) Brees could be a one-hit wonder.

I still think it is not as an attractive situation as it seems.