If you were San Diego, what do you do

stevestojan

I think just about everyone assumed Drew Brees wouldn't be a charger next year, but now that they are a 'powehouse', I would see no reason to get rid of him.

Rivers, on the other hand, could probably get you a 1st and 2nd rounder, or whatever your needs are.

The Chargers already have their own first rounder next year, plus the one from the Giants.

They could possible have THREE first round picks if they were to trade him away.

Brees is only 25, and obviously not making 1st round money like Rivers would be.

If I was San Diego, I would trade him, get a 1st and a 2nn(or third), pick up a backup QB in the second in 2005, and then swim around in all of my 1st round picks for a while.

I think just about everyone assumed Drew Brees wouldn't be a charger next year, but now that they are a 'powehouse', I would see no reason to get rid of him.

Rivers, on the other hand, could probably get you a 1st and 2nd rounder, or whatever your needs are.

The Chargers already have their own first rounder next year, plus the one from the Giants.

They could possible have THREE first round picks if they were to trade him away.

Brees is only 25, and obviously not making 1st round money like Rivers would be.

If I was San Diego, I would trade him, get a 1st and a 2nn(or third), pick up a backup QB in the second in 2005, and then swim around in all of my 1st round picks for a while.

161763[/snapback]

The cap hit would be tremendous (all his signing bonus will be accelarated)...plus they will have to fit 3 or 4 1st rounders within their salary cap and then will also have to pay a huge signing bonus (10 to 15M) to Brees on a new contract....Not going to happen.....

The best thing they can do is, put the franchise tag on him and trade his rights to another team like Miami or Dallas for draft picks...otherwise he is walking free

I think it is clear that he will be signed and traded.  AJ Smith should have known better, but pulled a TD and drafted a position player they did not need.

161847[/snapback]

Drew Brees did nada in his 1st 3 years with the Charger..Any GM would have

gone for that pick after seeing DB play last year, especially when he had the

best RB in the league standing behind him.....Plus they got an extra 1st

rounder for the swap.

When you have the 1st pick and the stakes are high, you deal with them.

Keep Rivers and at least pretend to sign Brees to a short term contract. If a deal comes up that they like then trade either of the two. However, when considering proven ability, it is probably better to trade Brees for future picks but not necessarily a immediate first rounder.

Anybody who saw the Chargers over the last few years should have known that their main problem (like the Bills) was with their offensive line not their quarterback.

A big difference for the Chargers offensive success has been their two rookie offensive lineman:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...15chargers.html

I say they should keep Drew Brees (who is a young QB who's proven himself successful) rather than go with Rivers. Yes, this means taking a cap hit next year, but that's the price you pay. How do they know Rivers won't turn out like other high round QB's like Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith?

Trade Rivers away for a first round pick, and slap the franchise tag on Brees. With Rivers gone, Brees would probably be amenable to a long-term deal that would be cap-friendly on the front-end. Restructure other players' contracts to make them more cap-friendly for 2005, knowing that by 2006 Rivers will be off your books for good. The Chargers could probably get a high first round pick for Rivers, because that's where he was taken in this past year's draft, and he's done nothing since then to show he's unworthy of that rank.

161763[/snapback]

Yup, I'd trade him too. However, I get the feeling they'll be using Brees as trade bait.

ypu can't trade him because the cap hit would be massive, plus you paid him a huge bonus for not playing.

You have to franchise Brees and trade him like the Bills did with Price.

Getting a low first or a second round pick is better than getting nothing, and you drafted Rivers with the intent that he was the future a QB. You made the bed, now lie in it!

ypu can't trade him because the cap hit would be massive, plus you paid him a huge bonus for not playing.

Getting a low first or a second round pick is better than getting nothing, and you drafted Rivers with the intent that he was the future a QB.  You made the bed, now lie in it!

162044[/snapback]

Can't a team just think of the cap hit as a "penalty" for it taking Brees an extra year to prove himself? I mean, if you have a proven QB, why would you get rid of him to go with a high paid rookie? (Holy Crap, if ICE reads that last sentence, his head will implode).

Can't a team just think of the cap hit as a "penalty" for it taking Brees an extra year to prove himself? I mean, if you have a proven QB, why would you get rid of him to go with a high paid rookie? (Holy Crap, if ICE reads that last sentence, his head will implode).

162060[/snapback]

SD is sitting pretty. They can dangle a bounty of draft picks or one of two QBs for just about whatever they want.

I agree, the cap hit is not a big deal considering. Perhaps they can even get Rivers to restructure some of his bonus money into guaranteed contract money, to let the team that takes him on take on the cost. Considering that this would mean Rivers gets a chance to play vs. not, I think he'd be down.

SD is sitting pretty.  They can dangle a bounty of draft picks or one of two QBs for just about whatever they want.

I agree, the cap hit is not a big deal considering.  Perhaps they can even get Rivers to restructure some of his bonus money into guaranteed contract money, to let the team that takes him on take on the cost.  Considering that this would mean Rivers gets a chance to play vs. not, I think he'd be down.

162078[/snapback]

I don't think that the restructuring you're talking about will work. As far as I know, Rivers has already gotten and cashed his bonus check from San Diego, so San Diego has to take the cap hit. Getting rid of him after the season accelerates the cap hit. There are two reasons why this shouldn't stop San Diego from trading Rivers away anyway: 1) San Diego has plenty of room under the cap next year (pre-trading Rivers away), and 2) San Diego can restructure the contracts of some of its other players to convert base 2005 salary into bonus.

Getting a low first or a second round pick is better than getting nothing, and you drafted Rivers with the intent that he was the future a QB.  You made the bed, now lie in it!

162044[/snapback]

I agree you gotta go with Rivers, but placing the franchise tag on Brees will guarantee him a 1 year deal of about $10million--something he certainly isn't getting in free agency--so I don't see Chargers getting anything more than a 3rd round pick.

Guest Guest_Ray_*

What I find funny about this question is that Manning did not want to go to San Diego because he felt they would never win and now he is looking horrible in New York.... I would hold on to Rivers for at least another year to be sure that Brees is the real deal..