Sabres 2, Carolina 1

Good post, SJBF. I disgree on a couple goalies though. Crozier was far from past his prime, steadying the young talented team to the playoffs their 3rd season and NEARLY won us a Cup in our 5th season. Dryden was serviceable but was never confused with his brother. Barrasso showed many flashes of brilliance, winning the Calder AND Vezina in his 1st season. Bad Sabre teams were more to his decline than his performance. Miller, like Dryden, is steady and plays angles well. IMO, he's more a product of League hype than sensational and I -for 1- look forward to finding a goalie to replace him. Have we gotten past the second round with him? Hasek took a less talented team to the Finals with stellar & sterling performances. The likes of which I don't think we've ever seen from Miller, nor do I expect to.

Crozier had serious health issues during his Sabres' tenure. He DIDN'T lead the team to the playoffs in '73 - he split that year w/ Dryden (because of his stomach problems) and Dryden got the 1st 2 starts in the playoffs.

In '75, again due to health issues, he was the effectively the backup behind Bromley and then Desi. He came in in relief for Desi in the 1st game against Moe-ray-all and started the next 2 until he got yanked in game 3. He played games 3 & 6 in the Finals.

When HEALTHY, even at his age, he was better than Dryden, Bromley, Daley, Desi, etc. but he wasn't healthy often enough to say he 'led' the team. They were better w/ him in the net than the others, but he just simply wasn't able to be there often enough.

Barrasso looked GREAT his 1st 2 years in Buffalo. And then people figured out that the 5 hole was ALWAYS open, and he didn't look nearly as good in Buffalo ever again. (By the time he was traded, he was giving up over 4 gpg.) He bore down while in Pittsburgh after his daughter got sick, but even then the success he had in Pittsburgh was due to Lemieux & crew far more than it was due to him.

You already know the answer to your 2nd round question, so I won't bother w/ that one.

And you don't expect Miller to be better than Hasek? No !@#$ing **** Sherlock. Dom was (arguably) the best goalie ever. If the criticism is that he isn't better than Dom, I can't argue w/ that. But I wouldn't say anybody else was better than him either.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a piece of work, Ramius. Just not very good work.. Remind me again who let 2 soft goals in to start the 3rd period in Game 7 of the ECF. Unlike you, the 29 other teams in the League aren't blind. RM is good. Not Great. I think we can agree that this Sabre team probably won't do much in the playoffs this year (if we get there) -may not win one series. But if we had Hasek at his best with this team, we'd be thinking Cup.

Swear to any God you want. IMO, you're the one showing signs of lead paint poisoning.

You've been wrong in the Vezina discussion earlier in the thread and by omitting Miller's play in two ECF series. I'm sure they're selective oversights on your part, but when doing so, don't come back with the "Miller let's in soft goals" argument (especially when using Game 7 vs. Carolina when we had a JV defense in front of him as an instance of such play). Also, comparing Hasek's teams to now is just ludicrous. Different game, even with the officiating tightening things up the past few seasons.

Carolina has 87 with 3 games so they max out at 93.

Carolina plays today against Detroit. If they get two points then our magic number is 1 point.

If they get 0 points then we clinch a playoff spot, because they then can only max out at 91 points and as you know we have 92.

If Carolina gets an OTL then they can max out at 92 BUT can only max out at 35 wins in regulation or OT if they win their last 2 games in regulation or OT. The Sabres already have 36 Wins in Regulation or OT (both teams have 5 shootout wins which do not count in playoff tie breakers.) So the Sabres would win a tiebreaker if both teams have 92 and then would clinch a playoff spot.

So basically the next time Carolina loses in regulation or the Sabres get 1 point the Sabres clinch a playoff spot whichever comes first.

So yeah the Sabres magic number is 1. :doh:

LOL - I'm reading all that and thinking doesn't it mean the magic number is one right now?!?..........Thanks for clarifying, though! This is sweet!

You're a piece of work, Ramius. Just not very good work.. Remind me again who let 2 soft goals in to start the 3rd period in Game 7 of the ECF. Unlike you, the 29 other teams in the League aren't blind. RM is good. Not Great. I think we can agree that this Sabre team probably won't do much in the playoffs this year (if we get there) -may not win one series. But if we had Hasek at his best with this team, we'd be thinking Cup.

Swear to any God you want. IMO, you're the one showing signs of lead paint poisoning.

Let's see, the Sabres trotted out their #3,5,7,8,9,10 defensemen as the starting 6 in that game, and its Miller's fault? Go back and watch the goals, and you'll find Rory Fitzpatrick just standing around.

Miller is a great goalie and it viewed as one by the rest of the league. He's easily top 5.

Any other lies you'd like to trot out after your "the vezina is determined by GAA" and "Miller has never led the sabres past the second round" gems?

Why don't you at least attempt to save face and come up with the lame excuse that you were just kidding or just trolling? I'll give you that out right now before you further embarrass yourself.

You're a piece of work, Ramius. Just not very good work.. Remind me again who let 2 soft goals in to start the 3rd period in Game 7 of the ECF.

Yeah, two goals where the Sabres defense allowed a Canes player a wide open shot from less than five feet in front of the net. :doh:

Thurman Thomas sucked in SB 25 too.