Sabres?

I realize that there is a board for hockey! But the NFL is in lockdown, and Im bored with the same old same old! At least Buffalo has the Sabres! Just thought I would start a new topic, fire away on our hockey team!

Edited by akbillsfan

hockey is played on ice - thats pretty unique. I dont think figure skating counts as a sport. I accept its very difficult and physically demanding, but if the winner/loser is decided by a panel of judges then its really more like a competition or a talent show, not a sport. Curling is cool I always end up watching that in the Olypics thinking "Man I bet anyone can get on this US team - I should totally try out and brag about being an Olympic athlete for the rest of my life."

Ice fishing is cool but you cant do that in a rink. I think various forms of ice racing would be the only other "sports" left that are played on Ice, like ice sailing or those jeep races with the spiked tires. Have I forgetten any other ice-sports?

Went to my first Sabres game last week in a long time. Like over 25 years. Against Nashville. Used to have season tickets for the Portland Pirates. $99. for seasons. Worked out to $3. a game. Cost $5 to park. But back to the Sabres. Sat 7 rows behind the penalty box. Right off the red line. Best seats I've ever had at a hockey game. Even though the Sabres lost it was a fantastic experience. The Bills provide me a great tailgate, usually a so-so at best game, and a fun meal after the game. Its also an all day experience. The Sabres provide me about 2-3 hours of almost nonstop action that is exciting from start to finish. I don't have to plan a tailgate or the after game activities. Traffic is gone after half an hour. I'll never give up my Bills seasons but I'm now sold on going to more Sabres games. I'm also looking into getting some Bandits tickets because lacrosse is such a great sport.

hockey is played on ice - thats pretty unique. I dont think figure skating counts as a sport. I accept its very difficult and physically demanding, but if the winner/loser is decided by a panel of judges then its really more like a competition or a talent show, not a sport. Curling is cool I always end up watching that in the Olypics thinking "Man I bet anyone can get on this US team - I should totally try out and brag about being an Olympic athlete for the rest of my life."

Ice fishing is cool but you cant do that in a rink. I think various forms of ice racing would be the only other "sports" left that are played on Ice, like ice sailing or those jeep races with the spiked tires. Have I forgetten any other ice-sports?

Horse racing in Canada. Most places have dirt and turf racing. In Canada there is a dirt track and an ice track.

You might want to give Curling a try before you sign yourself onto the Olympic team, Its bit more difficult physically than you would guess just from looking, Mentally it is simply a bear in that just like any competition against other human beans it gets pretty gnarly performing well when your teammates are depending on you and a whole crowd is watching.

Add to that I have played the game several times and seen it a zillion times and I still do not understand the rules and scoring and it really is quite impressive to see anyone be consistently good at it.

Like figure skating, I sometimes think it would be more entertaining to watch if all the competitors wore gas tanks merely so they might explode when they fall, but I say this only to indicate its a whole different world to compete in than to watch.

If folks are interested and in Buffalom the Niagara Falls Curling Club is just about to take up its ice for the spring/summer. However, the season begins in mid-fall and NFCC has an introductory session each year and open times where one can rent a sheet to throw some rocks. The website is > http://www.niagarafallscurling.ca/ < and its only about 20 minutes from the Peace Bridge which connect Buffalo to Ontario,

Of course he's joking, horses can't skate. :doh:

In Canada it's a snow track, not an ice track.

weak ankles?

As for the Sabres, they're playing their best hockey of the season as 'the kids' are finding their way into the NHL flow. Big question now is can they kick it up a couple gears, as the playoffs demand?

You might want to give Curling a try before you sign yourself onto the Olympic team, Its bit more difficult physically than you would guess just from looking, Mentally it is simply a bear in that just like any competition against other human beans it gets pretty gnarly performing well when your teammates are depending on you and a whole crowd is watching.

Add to that I have played the game several times and seen it a zillion times and I still do not understand the rules and scoring and it really is quite impressive to see anyone be consistently good at it.

Like figure skating, I sometimes think it would be more entertaining to watch if all the competitors wore gas tanks merely so they might explode when they fall, but I say this only to indicate its a whole different world to compete in than to watch.

If folks are interested and in Buffalom the Niagara Falls Curling Club is just about to take up its ice for the spring/summer. However, the season begins in mid-fall and NFCC has an introductory session each year and open times where one can rent a sheet to throw some rocks. The website is > http://www.niagarafallscurling.ca/ < and its only about 20 minutes from the Peace Bridge which connect Buffalo to Ontario,

The NFCC is great as is their intro program.

And Thoner, you forgot speedskating. That's pretty damned legit.