What I haven't been seeing much lately

Rubes

Dump-offs. Willis in the passing game, except for a screen or two. What happened to using the running back or tight end as a safety valve? What happened to short, over-the-middle or outside dumps to Willis?

Man, I'd really like to see the ball thrown to Willis some more. I think it helps Drew.

Not only that, but I'd like to see some more no-huddle.

I thought this was going to be another "Where is ICE" thread....

Why is they are all dissappearing? Are we not supposed to talk about ICE anymore? If so, someone forgot to tell me.

As for your real post:

Just a guess, but I think Willis has become so valuable in picking up the blitz that MM hates to use him as a release valve. If that makes sense...

I am not sure what game you are watching but the Runningback is always the dump off guy. It depends if the other team decides to blitz on that particular down. If the other team blitz's the back becomes the blocker. If the line can hold the extra blitz'rs the RB will roll out for the pass. Sometimes the other team doesn't blitz on a pass down and then the runningback becomes the release valve.

There are very few plays that are built for the runningback to catch a pass. It is either going to be a screen pass or he is 3,4,5 guy looked at in a particular passing down.

We all like to see Willis play but he isn't a wide receiver. He isn't a Eric Moulds or a Lee Evans.

I'm pretty sure they did it at least once last week but your right Drew is the type of QB that doesn't react quickly to the blitz so what Willis needs to continue to do is when the blitz is coming give a solid block, roll off that block and if they don't pick him up be ready for the dump-off will blockers ahead. It's been working so I'm hoping they will get back to it with Drew struggling again.

We all like to see Willis play but he isn't a wide receiver.  He isn't a Eric Moulds or a Lee Evans.

160837[/snapback]

Neither is Marshall Faulk, neither was Thurman Thomas...but get them matched up on a linebacker, and they may as well be. And as I recall (quite possibly incorrectly), the Bills did have designed pass plays where Thurman was the first or second look, just because of the potential mismatch.

I think the real reason it's not done is...well, simply that it's not done. I don't recall these coaches, with Pittsburgh, lining up RBs as receivers that often, I don't see any reason why they should do it now. And frankly...I don't know that McGahee can run a pattern all that well. I do know he can pick up blitzers, and I know he's a powerful runner...so let him check off the blitz, park his ass in the flat, and get his yards after the catch. Works for me...

Neither is Marshall Faulk, neither was Thurman Thomas...but get them matched up on a linebacker, and they may as well be.  And as I recall (quite possibly incorrectly), the Bills did have designed pass plays where Thurman was the first or second look, just because of the potential mismatch. 

I think the real reason it's not done is...well, simply that it's not done.  I don't recall these coaches, with Pittsburgh, lining up RBs as receivers that often, I don't see any reason why they should do it now.  And frankly...I don't know that McGahee can run a pattern all that well.  I do know he can pick up blitzers, and I know he's a powerful runner...so let him check off the blitz, park his ass in the flat, and get his yards after the catch.  Works for me...

161020[/snapback]

2 totally different teams and 2 totally different offenses.

2 totally different teams and 2 totally different offenses.

161050[/snapback]

Kind of my point. The reason we don't see it is because the offense isn't designed that way. It has little to do with McGahee not being an Eric Moulds or Lee Evans; it has a lot more to do with these coaches not lining up running backs in WR slots.

And as I said...that's fine with me. I think it could be done, but I see no particular reason that it should be done.