mr. fairly

i remember hearing about how dominant this guy was and the nasty disposition and mean streak that he posesses. he was surely the no. 1 overall pick. a game changer, impact player and the guy that dominated the national championship game. this was the "i'd love to have him but there is no way we can get him" guy. so my question goes out to those of you that watch a lot more college ball than i do, and that is why is this guy not in the discussion for no. 3? was he overhyped or did we talk ourselves out of it because we didn't think he would be available? just curious, thanks.

i remember hearing about how dominant this guy was and the nasty disposition and mean streak that he posesses. he was surely the no. 1 overall pick. a game changer, impact player and the guy that dominated the national championship game. this was the "i'd love to have him but there is no way we can get him" guy. so my question goes out to those of you that watch a lot more college ball than i do, and that is why is this guy not in the discussion for no. 3? was he overhyped or did we talk ourselves out of it because we didn't think he would be available? just curious, thanks.

This is a really good question. I know he showed up a little light to the combine, but he looked pretty darn impressive in drills. I believe he is seen a more of an interior pass rusher than a run stuffing 3-4 DE. Probably, in most people's opinions, better suited as a 4-3 DT. After his dominant performance in the bowl game it seemed as though he was a lock to be the first player taken in the draft. Nothing since then has happened to hurt his draft stock....well nothing that i know of anyway.

This is a really good question. I know he showed up a little light to the combine, but he looked pretty darn impressive in drills. I believe he is seen a more of an interior pass rusher than a run stuffing 3-4 DE. Probably, in most people's opinions, better suited as a 4-3 DT. After his dominant performance in the bowl game it seemed as though he was a lock to be the first player taken in the draft. Nothing since then has happened to hurt his draft stock....well nothing that i know of anyway.

Fairley dropping on some mock drafts is due to there being 3,235,080 football experts with way too much time on their hands between the national championship game and the NFL draft. How can I make my 125th mock draft in the past 30 days more interesting then the last? I know, let me flip-flop my entire top 10 and put fairley at 9..THAT'LL get everyone's attention. Nonsense.

Also, anyone notice how Gabbert has risen pretty much out of nowhere to be considered on some boards as the #1 overall pick? Really guys? Blaine "90% of the USA didn't know who the FOOK I was 1yr ago" Gabbert. :blink: Granted, the same 90% may not have known who Fairley was this time last year, but at least Fairley won a national championship and dominated. WTF did GABBERT do in the past year other than shampoo and condition his fairy hair?

Semantics aside, going back to what you said about Fairley being better suited for the 4-3 is part of the reason why he may be falling, in addition to his weight/size being a bit down at the combine. Also, some of the 3,235,080 NFL scouts in this country question his ability/intelligence to grasp defensive schemes at the next level, and his average use of his hands. :blink: Right.

Fairley won't draft past 5 come draft day. You can double down on that.

I think it is because he really only played one full year as a starter. People are afraid of the "One Year Wonder" after Maybin.

Don't look now, but a large majority of this year's potetial top 10 are technically one year wonders...with, of course, the exception of Gabbert, who was a zero year wonder.

Yeah, Fairley fell a bit in mocks because he measured in at 6'3" 290 lb instead of the expected 6'5" 300 lb during the combine. Could very well be a classic case of amateur internet scouts obsessing over measurables instead of focusing on game film. On physical talent alone, I doubt any professional scout has him ranked outside the top 5.

Keep in mind a couple of random things about the human body:

1. Guys this size can add and drop 10 lb without any trouble. He probably drops bowel movements that weigh several lb alone.

2. During the course of the day, the human spine can shrink an inch or so due to gravity acting on the body's water composition. You will be your tallest in the morning and your shortest right before bed.

Fairley would still make an awesome 3-4 DE, even if his pass-rushing talents aren't optimized quite as much as they would be as a 4-3 DT. He undoubtedly has Pro Bowl talent, even if not quite at the level of Suh.

The issue with Fairley is going to come down to personality and work ethic. How will he react when he can't get by on talent alone? How will he react to all the easy money and sudden fame and intense pressure from being a top 5 pick? There are internet rumors concerning Fairley's questionable work ethic. Then again, I've read these same concerns for Dareus and Bowers. It's up to Nix to decide how serious these concerns are.

Was overhyped, watched him play 4 times last year and was not impressed, Dareus was the man and it took a little bit of time for the gurus to come around but knew they would once they put on the game film.

Was overhyped, watched him play 4 times last year and was not impressed, Dareus was the man and it took a little bit of time for the gurus to come around but knew they would once they put on the game film.

You do know that the biggest draft guru of them all Mel Kiper has Fairley rated higher, right?

I think both players will be good enough to not be considered busts. Though I think Fairley will become the "star" of the two. That being said, I could see the Bills passing on both and taking one of about five other players...Peterson, Quinn, Miller, Newton, Gabbert.