If the Bills Go with Newton...

Owen

Would they then in the 2nd round pick a RT and in the 3rd a TE? .... Would they possibly go with their first three picks all offense to round out the teams offensive weaknesses?

Then with the balance of their picks and free agency, go heavy on defense?

I think it is possible....but maybe improbable.... If you were GM would you go that route...??

Assuming Newton is their pick that is.....

If it is Newton, get ready for lots of action but not much in the way of wins and losses. So party up , watch the fun but assume a couple more ugly won-loss records. this guy has played exactly 10 competitive college games. And he is the savior? please.

This!

And I would like to see Buffalo trade down and still get defensive help.

I'm thinking San Francisco.

San Fran moves up to the 3 spot to ensure the draft a QB, which according to all of the NFL pundits is the biggest need for them.

To San Fransisco

(1st round) #3 overall pick 2011

To Buffalo

(1st round) #7 overall pick 2011

(3rd round) #76 overall pick 2011

(1st round) San Fransisco's 1st round selection 2012 pick

This is reasonable to move up and grab a QB (which ever one SF wants), it also gives Buffalo that second 1st round pick in 2012, if you want Luck in the 2012 draft, Buffalo is going to need two 1st round picks and then some to move up to the first overall selection.

I project San Fransisco and Buffalo to both be in the top 15 of the 2012 draft. So you offer those 2 picks and maybe a couple of 3rd rounders or a 2nd rounder and get Luck at first overall. Just my opinion though.

Do you really think this makes sense? I mean we got the 3rd pick they have the 7th, so you telling me we can get a 2nd and next years 1st from them to move up 4 spots? and what if they did and they pick number 18 next year and we are 12, you really think whoever is at #1 next year would trade out that for those spots? your opinion sir is flawed...

and can we get off luck please what if he decides to not come out next year what we wait another year?

Excellent point. Imagine how many new jersey's this team could sell with a top pick at QB and having the new name Newton on the back. Yet sadly if this happens then it tells me that Wilson is still running this team and not Nix or Gailey etc. As to me that demonstrates a business decision not a football one. As to me the better football (field) decision is to build a stronger defense and keep games closer and hope in year 2 Gailey can make better use of talents like Spiller and Evans. As to me it's a way better plan of attack then hoping to win a shootout with a rookie QB.

This.

Buffalo Rumblings Nix v. Wilson Re: QB

Drafting a QB, specifically Newton, would cast doubt on whether Nix is really the man in football operations. Of course, RW overruled coaches and GM's before, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Do not underestimate the Buzz or Excitement factor in the Bills 1st round pick.....They need to shore up the season ticket base, the Toronto ticket sales, and get the intrigue factor up for the Franchise in general.....From that vantage point Newton makes a great deal of sense. If Cam turns out to be a good to excellent QB that the franchise desperately needs....Double winner!!!

Just sayin!!!

I respectfully say this should not even be remotely a consideration. They've tried this route several times before and if the

team still sucks, it doesn't matter a lick.

Personally, I see some case for Gabbert, I'd run away from Newton (too raw, too slick, too much bad character history) and

I'd strongly lean toward defensive front 7. If you insist on getting an "athletic" QB, I'd consider trading back into round 1

for Locker or staying pat and hoping that Locker or Kapaernick are there for the Bills' 2nd pick.

I would have to say not a chance in hell does SF give up that much to move up 4 spots. Especially for the quality of QBs available. I know there is a numerical points system associated with draft picks, and I would love to see how lopsided that trade would be. If they would be stupid enough to do it, you take that trade any day of the week.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/points.php

Here's a point system I found, not sure if it's accurate or not.

According to this, our #3 is worth 2200 points

SFs #7 is 1500, #76 is 210, and let's say we get next year's #16 (putting it right in the middle of the first round) it's 1000...that's a value of 2710.

That's a 510 point difference in the trade...which is the value of a 39th overall selection. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Your forgetting, though, that a pick in the future is worth less than one in the present. Who knows what it will be, it could be #32, it could be #1. Based on the last couple years, a second round pick this year is worth a first next year, a third this year is worth a second next year, etc.

That means that #3 for #7, #76, and a first round next year is actually pretty accurate.

I think that Newton is an AWFUL gamble that high in the draft. Here are my reasons:

1. There are few, if any, running QBs that succeed in the NFL. I guess you could say Vick has - but

he was not that successful until Andy Reid salvaged his career (late in his career) and even now you

have to wonder if he is a "one year wonder" in the NFL. Maybe you could point to Steve Young (who

was actually a good passer, too and played in a more-similar pro-type offense at BYU then got some

USFL experience before sitting behind Joe Montana in SF). Of the bunch, I might compare

Newton to a bigger/stronger Randall Cunningham. Now, Cunningham wasn't a bad NFL QB, but

would he be worth the 3rd overall pick in the draft?

2. Newton has only 1 year of productivity on the NCAA Div 1 level and his productivity was largely

running (and passing productivity enhanced by the threat of him running). I don't think that he'll

duplicate his running success against NFL defenses and that will significantly hinder his passing

success.

3. Newton comes across as a very polished/slimey used-car salesman type. Note that I am not

saying that he is dumb as I believe that he's reasonably intelligent. I just think that there is a lot

of "fake" to him.

4. Newton comes with a lot of character concerns that can be the death-blow to a team if he is

installed as the starter. Allegations of stolen laptops at Fla, allegations of academic fraud in the

J.C. ranks and only one year at Auburn....

I am not asserting that Newton will be a bust, only my opinion that he is way too risky for the

Bills to consider at the 3rd overall pick.

Would they then in the 2nd round pick a RT and in the 3rd a TE? .... Would they possibly go with their first three picks all offense to round out the teams offensive weaknesses?

Then with the balance of their picks and free agency, go heavy on defense?

I think it is possible....but maybe improbable.... If you were GM would you go that route...??

Assuming Newton is their pick that is.....

if cam is the pick @ 3 i would go defense in rounds 2 thru 4 heavy.

Your forgetting, though, that a pick in the future is worth less than one in the present. Who knows what it will be, it could be #32, it could be #1. Based on the last couple years, a second round pick this year is worth a first next year, a third this year is worth a second next year, etc.

That means that #3 for #7, #76, and a first round next year is actually pretty accurate.

Well, if that trade is ever put on the table, I say we don't hesitate to pull the trigger for even one second. It just sounds ridiculously one sided to me. They move from #7 to #3...we go from #3 to #7...PLUS a 3rd rounder this year...PLUS a 1st rounder next year. Wow. I know this is all hypothetical and I'm taking it literally, but what sounds a bit more fair would be swap 1st rounders this year and we get their 2nd and 3rd this year. (That would put values at 2200 for us and 2160 for SF).

Our 2011 draft picks for 1st 4 rounds would look like this...

Rd 1 #7

Rd 2 #34

Rd 2 #45

Rd 3 #68

Rd 3 #76

Rd 4 #99

That's 6 picks in the first 100...very NE-like. :thumbsup:

This.

Buffalo Rumblings Nix v. Wilson Re: QB

Drafting a QB, specifically Newton, would cast doubt on whether Nix is really the man in football operations. Of course, RW overruled coaches and GM's before, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

You are making a false assumption. What if Nix/Gailey also believe that this organization needs to draft a franchise qb with their first pick? Just because the owner has a view that this team desperately needs an upgrade at that position that doesn't necessarily mean Nix and his assistants don't also. Sometimes even whacky owners can have a reasonable opinion that merits serious consideration.

There are a lot of so called experts who also believe that the Bills are lacking in the qb position. Does that mean that if Nix holds the same view that he is caving in to the pressure?

I don't know who this organization is going to pick in the first round. The front office probably doesn't even know at this stage of the draft process what they are going to do. What I can say is that this frenzy that the organization might take a particular qb instead of a defensive player makes absolutely no sense. This organization has a lot of needs on both sides of the ball. Getting a legitimate franchise qb is certainly one of their major needs.

I hope not. Chan proved he can make this offense effective with the talent on the roster. Fitz, Freddy, Spiller Johnson, Roscoe, Evans, nelson, Jones all made plays this year. With Urbik in at G and Wood at center and Bell having a full offseason to get stronger i think our line is actually in decent shape. Pears was a two year starter in Denver at RT. I think hes our guy there. I would be very surprised if this draft isnt defense heavy

Cutting Stroud and bringing in Wanny tells me they are serious about improving that side of the ball

FINALLY SOME ONE THAT MAKES SOME SENSE !!!! THANK YOU ---- THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Silly comparison. Vick murdered dogs & had proven nothing in 3 years. He is also is 6' tall.

Newton just took a 7-5 team to a national championship. He is 6'6" & 250 lbs.

You didn't get the memo. Newton is only allowed to be compared to black qbs. :oops:

So when is it ok to give the dog **** a rest? Its real !@#$ing old! Get a grip!!