What would upset you more?

C'mon IF we pick a QB 3rd overall he's not sitting on the bench for a year. You don't pick a guy that high to sit him. I believe the last time that happened was Carson Palmer a decade ago. You're not going to pay a QB picked 3rd the kind of money he'll get to ride the bench all year.

Fitzpatrick might be the starter at the beginning of the year but he won't be for long.

But the beauty is that he CAN take an entire year, if that is what he needs.

He might end up ready to get some limited game time in by week 10, much like Tebow. But he wont be the starting, fulltime QB, nor should he be. We have the LUXURY of starting Fitz while the kid learns. If he is ready to go before 2012, then it's just bonus.

But the beauty is that he CAN take an entire year, if that is what he needs.

He might end up ready to get some limited game time in by week 10, much like Tebow. But he wont be the starting, fulltime QB, nor should he be. We have the LUXURY of starting Fitz while the kid learns. If he is ready to go before 2012, then it's just bonus.

I only see that scenario playing out if the Bills are around .500 and in contention. If they have 2-3 wins by November it makes no sense to go any longer with Fitzpatrick when you drafted a QB in the 1st round on the bench. Get him on the field and let him learn.

I only see that scenario playing out if the Bills are around .500 and in contention. If they have 2-3 wins by November it makes no sense to go any longer with Fitzpatrick when you drafted a QB in the 1st round on the bench. Get him on the field and let him learn.

Dude? Really? If they're 3-4 or 4-3 in November its time to sit Fitzy?

Wow you get the award for most impatient fan.

The Bills have sucked for 11 seasons whats another 2-3 to let a QB develop and finally get relevant again.

C'mon IF we pick a QB 3rd overall he's not sitting on the bench for a year. You don't pick a guy that high to sit him. I believe the last time that happened was Carson Palmer a decade ago. You're not going to pay a QB picked 3rd the kind of money he'll get to ride the bench all year.

Fitzpatrick might be the starter at the beginning of the year but he won't be for long.

You're on a hot streak now.

How about Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers?

Dude? Really? If they're 3-4 or 4-3 in November its time to sit Fitzy?

Wow you get the award for most impatient fan.

The Bills have sucked for 11 seasons whats another 2-3 to let a QB develop and finally get relevant again.

You're on a hot streak now.

How about Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers?

I'm glad you pointed out Rivers. You're correct there. Rivers was a top 5 pick because up to that point Brees wasn't working out as hoped. Rodgers on the other hand was a later first round pick and had a HOFer ahead of him. Rodgers doesn't apply since we're talking third overall not where Rodgers was picked (24th). Fact is a QB picked in the top 5 plays much sooner rather than later.

I mentioned Palmer you reminded me of Rivers. That's 2 in the last decade. If you got more to mention I'll be happy to hear of them. But those guys were the exception not the rule.

I think you're extrapolating more from my post than I intend. If you read my post completely you'd see I thought if the Bills are in contention then the rookie QB will sit. If they have 2-3 wins by November they'll be essentially out of it and Bills fans will be demanding the new guy plays. I've seen it happen before in this town, if you think the fans will be content if the Bills are muddling around the bottom of the conference again and not demanding change, well then I don't know what to say because that's just not reality.

I'm glad you pointed out Rivers. You're correct there. Rivers was a top 5 pick because up to that point Brees wasn't working out as hoped. Rodgers on the other hand was a later first round pick and had a HOFer ahead of him. Rodgers doesn't apply since we're talking third overall not where Rodgers was picked (24th). Fact is a QB picked in the top 5 plays much sooner rather than later.

I mentioned Palmer you reminded me of Rivers. That's 2 in the last decade. If you got more to mention I'll be happy to hear of them. But those guys were the exception not the rule.

I think you're extrapolating more from my post than I intend. If you read my post completely you'd see I thought if the Bills are in contention then the rookie QB will sit. If they have 2-3 wins by November they'll be essentially out of it and Bills fans will be demanding the new guy plays. I've seen it happen before in this town, if you think the fans will be content if the Bills are muddling around the bottom of the conference again and not demanding change, well then I don't know what to say because that's just not reality.

Catering to Bills fans is what got this organization in the mess that it is in. Buddy Nix does strike me as the catering to fans, type.

What would be interesting if there are examples of a top 5 QB pick sitting for a year, than becoming a bust. I can't think of any of the top of my head.

BTW Steve McNair was the #3 overall pick and also sat for most of his first year too. I know that was a long time ago.

(I'm going to push for the Steve McNair Cam Newton comparisons.

That qualifies color for those that can't see pass color and similar playing styles in college. )

Edited by Why So Serious?

BTW Steve McNair was the #3 overall pick and also sat for most of his first year too. I know that was a long time ago.

(I'm going to push for the Steve McNair Cam Newton comparisons.

That qualifies color for those that can't see pass color and similar playing styles in college. )

Good call. Also, didnt McNair come from 1-AA? Kinda relateable to Newton's year in JuCo and year at Auburn, if you average them out. :thumbsup:

Good call. Also, didnt McNair come from 1-AA? Kinda relateable to Newton's year in JuCo and year at Auburn, if you average them out. :thumbsup:

May McNair rest in peace and with all do respect, he was the most overrated QB in the NFL so if that's what you want. Then I guess its cool? :wallbash:

The Oilers and Titans always succeeded with their running game and good coaching. McNair was never anything special. Only surpassing 20+ TDs 3 times in his 12 year career? Dude was also a turnover machine.

No thanks dude.

Give it up man! I started a post (one only a handful I've ever done) arguing these same points and got crucified. They just don’t get the politics of football. Sanchez, Ryan, Stafford, Bradford are the rule, NOT the exception. They were drafted high, and became the starter day 1. If Fitz is good enough for this year, then what makes him so bad for next? If he’s not good enough for next year then play the rookie and let him learn for next. Otherwise draft a QB in a later and develop him.

Yeah at Alcorn state he tore up the competition. He has like 6,000 total yards, with about 1000 rushing and ton of TDs.

If you put Steve McNair in the SEC 4,000+ yards and 51TDs could be understandable.

There were questions about McNair and "Pro-Style" offenses.

McNair had to go to DivI-AA to play QB over Safety

Newton had to go to J-Co to play QB (and avoid NCAA sanctions) over being converted to an H-Back.

May McNair rest in peace and with all do respect, he was the most overrated QB in the NFL so if that's what you want. Then I guess its cool? :wallbash:

The Oilers and Titans always succeeded with their running game and good coaching. McNair was never anything special. Only surpassing 20+ TDs 3 times in his 12 year career? Dude was also a turnover machine.

No thanks dude.

You're leaving off his 37 rushing TDs, 17 4th QTR comebacks, 23 game winning drives.

And you're forgetting that Steve McNair is a Heads and Shoulders better when compared to:

Todd Collins

Alex Van Belt

Doug Floutie

Rob Johnson

JP Lossman

Kelly Holcomb

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Brian aBrohmination

For me it would be Newton. I dont like the fact that our 3rd overall pick would be sitting on the bench for a year. I think the Bills need to draft someone that can come and help out right away.

Why do we need someone who would help us right away? Is 2011 somehow super important and our year to go for it? I'm looking for the guy who would help this team the most over the next 5+ years. I think that is likely Dareus, but if Newton can live up to his potential he could be even more valuable, but the worst case scenario is worse for him. Miller seems safe like Dareus to be a very good player, I just don't think he will be as good a football player as Dareus.

So to answer your questions, I would be disappointed but hopeful if we draft Newton, and I would be more disappointed if we drafted Miller who I would love at #8-12 where we are used to, but I don't think will be the most valuable on the board at #3. I don't think Cam is, but he could be.