If this is to be believed ...

dave mcbride

Nevertheless reddog, FWIW, ALL the speculation I've read on the Carolina situation is that having Clausen on the roster will not impact what the Panthers do with their first pick.

Of course it's only speculation although what IS fact is that the Panthers did state publicly that they would draft Andrew Luck if he declared for the draft.

It just seems improbable that Clausen's presence on the roster does not factor into the equation. Unless, the Panthers have already determined that Clausen does not have what it takes to be a very good NFL QB.

It just seems improbable that Clausen's presence on the roster does not factor into the equation. Unless, the Panthers have already determined that Clausen does not have what it takes to be a very good NFL QB.

While I would agree that it has to matter some, but since Rivera just got there he has no ties to the QB, so it may not matter as much as if he was there when they drafted him.

your conclusion is not correct

Well...Not for nothing...But how the fug do you know?

We'll see...I live in Charlotte...I hear the speculation every day...Their situation is not all that different than the Bills except the Bills have an Offensive HC and the Panthers have a Defensive HC...I totally agree that a Franchise QB is a better long term option, but in between you're probably and maybe is the fact that The Panther hired a Defensive guy for a reason...And IF...IF he wants to go Defense at #1 Overall that is EXACTLY what they are going to do...

Newton and Gabbert are WAY behind Luck in development and Pro-Style experience...The guy that Drafted Clausen is STILL The Panthers GM...And before you have the luxury to draft a Franchise QB at #1 you have to make the determination that the Player is indeed a Franchise guy...They obviously thought highly about Clausen last year...He was a Rookie...It's expected that he would struggle a bit...Look at how much Clausen improved from his Frosh to his Jr year at ND...

IMHO The Panthers are FAR less likely to take a QB than the Bills all things considered...Not saying they won't...Just saying... B-)

For anyone who pines for - and insists we need to draft - a 'franchise QB' in round one (and I'm not among them), your "nightmare scenario" is probably the best thing that could happen to the Bills...Gabbert will be a far better NFL QB than Kim Newton.

I don't think we need to draft a QB early - but if we do, I hope it's Gabbert and not Newton.

+1 :thumbsup:

Well...Not for nothing...But how the fug do you know?

We'll see...I live in Charlotte...I hear the speculation every day...Their situation is not all that different than the Bills except the Bills have an Offensive HC and the Panthers have a Defensive HC...I totally agree that a Franchise QB is a better long term option, but in between you're probably and maybe is the fact that The Panther hired a Defensive guy for a reason...And IF...IF he wants to go Defense at #1 Overall that is EXACTLY what they are going to do...

Newton and Gabbert are WAY behind Luck in development and Pro-Style experience...The guy that Drafted Clausen is STILL The Panthers GM...And before you have the luxury to draft a Franchise QB at #1 you have to make the determination that the Player is indeed a Franchise guy...They obviously thought highly about Clausen last year...He was a Rookie...It's expected that he would struggle a bit...Look at how much Clausen improved from his Frosh to his Jr year at ND...

IMHO The Panthers are FAR less likely to take a QB than the Bills all things considered...Not saying they won't...Just saying... B-)

I agree with your thoughts 100%. A lot of people forget, if there is no 2011 season the Panthers will once again have the #1 pick, which in all likelihood would be Luck. This gives you the opportunity to take your #1 BPA in the draft, and then Luck next year. Suddenly, the Panthers franchise has a lot of hope. I know you can't bank on having no season, but if by late April things still look bleak I don't think Carolina will be selecting any QB at #1. I hope they do, so they're out of the Luck sweepstakes next year, but I can't see it happening.

Best case scenario, is Cam goes #1 to the Panthers, and a team trades up to #3 (Skins, Cardinals, 49ers?) for the rights to Gabbert. This removes 2 teams from the Luck sweepstakes and keeps the Bills in the hunt. At this point I'm all in on Luck. I know he has another year in college, but unless he has a total collapse, which I can't see happening, I'm all in on him as a prospect.