Tight ends...

In my opinion Nelson manned what really consititutes the TE position last year and you saw what Fitz did with him.......total red zone threat......

Give me a TE that can work the middle....Nelson, Stevie J. and Easley combined with our RB's who can both catch and you have a wide open offense. I think a TE is essential here....a guy that lays the wood to defenders (Nelson is good......but tall and lanky)

Agreed. Both Zach Miller and Kevin Boss have been essential parts of great rushing attacks over the past several years. Having a true tight end on the field on most run/pass downs (not a Shawn Nelson type) enables an offensive to play smash mouth and at the same time, threaten to attack the defense through the air.

The Bills rushing attack actually regressed last year from 2009. In view of Gailey's long term history and comments that he's made, it is important that the Bills find an accomplished, all-around tight end to emulate the contributions of players like Heath Miller and Jason Witten.

Who needs a tight end when we have Aaron Maybin

Like alot of people have said here, he can be converted to TE. I know TE's are always knocking him on his ass, but who is to say he could drink a bunch of protein shakes so maybe HE could knock some linebackers on THEIR asses for a change.

Or maybe he could run into a mirror and knock HIMSELF on his ass

And maybe we could get a washed up high school QB to come out and throw him some passes or something

As we all know, except for players who have already been released by their teams (OJ Atogwe, Shaun Rogers, Bob Sanders), players whose contracts have expired but may be subjected to the franchise tag, cannot be offered free agent contracts until the resolution of a new CBA.

The good news is that the NFL owners and players are talking…a 7 hour session today. The sides have pledged 7 straight days of negotiations, of which today was the 2nd day. The talks are being mediated and both sides have pledged to not comment to the media in an attempt to curry public favor. I'm actually somewhat optimistic that an agreement can be reached before the expiration of the current CBA on March 3rd.

So far 8 franchise tags have been applied: Lamarr Woodley, Logan Mankins, Mike Vick, Haloti Ngata, David Harris, Vincent Jackson, Peyton Manning, and Tamba Hali.

Franchise tags can be applied until February 24th…for 5 more days.

The other good news is that there are rumors that neither Oakland's Zach Miller or the Giants' Kevin Boss (2 of the top 3 FA TEs) will be tagged.

The other big-name tight ends who may become free agents are Marcedes Lewis (although there's a good chance he will be tagged), Owen Daniels, Bo Scaife, as well as sleepers Evan Moore (Browns) and David Thomas (Saints).

In short, this is a very rich year for free agent tight ends…a position of great need for the Bills.

Even better, the estimated franchise tag for tight ends is approximately $7.3 million, which means the Bills could likely land one of the best tight ends in football for a contract with an average annual value of $8 million.

The planets have aligned. If the Bills are shrewd about investing in free agency, they must seriously consider pursuing a tight end this offseason.

It is their best opportunity to land a quality proven veteran at a position of need, without investing a draft pick.

Good research, lets get Boss!

I disagree, as well. None of those TE's look that promising. We need to wait until next year in the draft. There will be a few more options. If Ruddolph dares slip to the 2nd round I think we pull the trigger, but he won't.

Miller and Boss don't look promising? Maybe it's been so long since you've seen a TE you just forgot what they look like and what they do.

I'd target Miller. He's young (just turned 25 2 months ago), the total package (he played LT in a game for the Raiders), and he'd probably be a lot more willing to leave Oakland than Boss would be to leave Jersey. My next choice would be Marcedes Lewis.

8 mil a year for any of the guys you mentioned would be a huge deal. Thats essentially the same deal VD got last year - meaning TEs which are about half as productive would be getting the same money. 5-6.5 mil a year for a guy like Boss or Miller would be what I expect, maybe less if the players get less coin with the new CBA.