Lamarr Woodley gets Franchise Tag

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/lamarr-woodley-gets-the-franchise-tag/

Pittsburgh traditionally doesn’t use the tag, but clearly they weren’t that close to a long-term deal for Woodley and couldn’t risk him becoming an unrestricted free agent.

He’s arguably the most valuable player on the defense because he’s the biggest game-changer that will be under 30 years entering next year. While Woodley doesn’t have a Defensive MVP award, he figures to get a deal close to or better than James Harrison’s six-year extension from 2009.

Does the franchise tag have any meaning without a CBA?

I'm fairly certain that the franchise tags will hold up, at least until the new CBA is agreed upon. If the new CBA has franchise tags then they keep them, if they don't then they don't.

What people should take from this and Jets franchising of Harris is that the 3-4 defenses are keeping their linebackers. That is the real key to 3-4. The obsession on this board with drafting a DE @ #3 is maddening.

Then again Harris and Woodley are two LBs playing at a high level drafted in the 2nd round. Not saying I want Dline to be the pick, cause I don't. But the LB position doesn't typically have enough value that high in the draft.

ILL admit I wanted WOODLEY here,and said so ,what I didn't exspect was the STEELERS franchising him,,Not sure of when they've ever used it before.

Generally if you wanted to retain a player than you would have re-signed him by now...with the CBA issues it seems like most teams are using this as a fallback for the guys that they couldn't sign (mostly because of the 30% rule). Generally I don't think there are more than 5-6 franchise players assigned an offseason, if that...how many do we have now? Seems like 11-12.

Then again Harris and Woodley are two LBs playing at a high level drafted in the 2nd round. Not saying I want Dline to be the pick, cause I don't. But the LB position doesn't typically have enough value that high in the draft.

Im not saying that either, I want Green, Peterson or (maybe) Newton at #3. If an LB breaks out and makes a case he should be there, then fine, put him in the running too. Right now I don't see one. But do think in Rds 2 (35th) & 3 (67th)there will be worthy choices.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm fairly certain that the franchise tags will hold up, at least until the new CBA is agreed upon. If the new CBA has franchise tags then they keep them, if they don't then they don't.

At this moment in time the franchise tag means nothing until the new CBA is signed and that came from the players union the tag would mean that that player makes a certain amount which was in the CBA but with out it how do you say who makes what

Im not saying that either, I want Green, Peterson or (maybe) Newton at #3. If an LB breaks out and makes a case he should be there, then fine, put him in the running too. Right now I don't see one. But do think in Rds 2 (35th) & 3 (67th)there will be worthy choices.

joe how is this any different than drafting Spiller last year?

None of those players are in positions that are pressing needs. If we can'tget fairley or miller, than I'd consider those players, but at #3 chances are that Miller is the best players at a really big need area. I grant you AJ Green will a phenomenal player when he hits his stride in the pros, but if we draft him, then we are probably booting a serviceable player like Lee Evans or Donald Jones on the streets while keeping a Maybin or a Kelsay on the roster or starting :sick:

This team is bad enough that you must draft for need and not BPA.

At this moment in time the franchise tag means nothing until the new CBA is signed and that came from the players union the tag would mean that that player makes a certain amount which was in the CBA but with out it how do you say who makes what

That's not entirely true. At this moment in time the current CBA isn't expired and since the franchise tag is part of the current CBA it is valid right now. That all changes when the CBA expires obviously but it seems that the owners are working under the assumption that they can negotiate the franchise tags into the new CBA while grandfathering in the previously franchised players of the past few weeks, thus they are tagging the players now. If they can't negotiate that (which I doubt they won't be able to) then oh well, they will need to scramble to sign these guys but if they can that's one less thing to worry about when the lockout ends.