Fans sue NFL/Dallas over superbowl tix

BillsRUs

According to the story, 1,000 fans sue for $5,000,000. Assume it gets reduced to $2 million. The attorneys get 40% and you get 60% divided by 1,000 tickets, thats $1200, half of what the NFL is currently offering. Lets hear it for lawyers :wallbash:

They are now using lawyers instead of rats at my buddy's medical lab. 3 Reasons: (1) There are more of them, (2) The lab assistants were getting too attached to the rats, and (3) There were certain things the rats wouldn't do. :devil:

They can only sell next seasons ticket, if they choose the future game package then they have to use it themselves.

This is complete BS, if I had spent all the money and time that these people had put into going to the Super Bowl only to find out they didn't have my seat I would have lost it. THEY KNEW FOR MONTHS HOW MANY SEATS THEY SOLD!!!!!!!! How is this point lost on some of you, the NFL willfully committed fraud on over 400 people. I hope the Dallas court hit's them with the 3x's multiplier on this case and the plaintiffs end up with 15 million to split.

they committed fraud on 1250 people

850 of the abused fans got seats because they then screwed over 850 Dallas Cowboy staff and families by taking their tickets away on game day.

Jerry should go to jail

Story up on ESPN right now about a Steelers fan who had to watch in a sports bar in the basement of the stadium. He paid around $4k for everything.

Edit for link: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24526/page/espntexas/a-steeler-fan%E2%80%99s-awful-super-bowl-experience

That actually probably wouldn't bother me too much as long as I got some compensation. Cover my tab, cab, hotel, and travel. All joking aside, getting to choose ANY Superbowl to go to and having everything else covered is a damn good deal. When I saw that fans were filing suit I just shook my head. We all know the NFL will take care of this fiasco before it gets anymore negative media attention. I thought originally these people lost the seats that were a problem with the fire marshall or something.

Edited by the_franchise

Wow--these stories are outdoing eachother. First the couple who paid $10,00 for the weekend, now 3 people who paid $22,000---and cancer. Today's feature will be a young family, $100,000 and a late term miscarriage.

That actually probably wouldn't bother me too much as long as I got some compensation. Cover my tab, cab, hotel, and travel. All joking aside, getting to choose ANY Superbowl to go to and having everything else covered is a damn good deal. When I saw that fans were filing suit I just shook my head. We all know the NFL will take care of this fiasco before it gets anymore negative media attention. I thought originally these people lost the seats that were a problem with the fire marshall or something.

The League (or the Cowboys organization, more likely) F-ed up. They are trying to make these people whole. The future SB deal isn't bad. Fans can take that offer or roll the dice on a future jackpot (which is what this is now about, America) form a lawsuit settled years form now.

This story will die soon.

They are now using lawyers instead of rats at my buddy's medical lab. 3 Reasons: (1) There are more of them, (2) The lab assistants were getting too attached to the rats, and (3) There were certain things the rats wouldn't do. :devil:

Uuuuuuh, doesn't Robin Williams tell this joke in the movie Hook?

And for everyone saying these fans are stupid for suing: imagine Christmas morning, the first Christmas your kid is old enough to be truly pumped up for Santa. You wake his little ass up, camcorder's @ the ready, you chase him down the stairs, the dog's barking his head off, but the living room is empty. Tree, gone. Decorations, gone. All the gifts, gone. BUT there's an envelope in the center if your bare wooden floor with a check compensating you for every last penny. Is the situation fixed?

you and the NFL are also assuming the fans got the tickets at the box office and not from a scalper.

I think that when the NFL offered ANY future Superbowl plus trip expenses, I would have been pacified.

I think it is obvious the NFL wants to make it right.

They can't make it right. If that happened to me, I sue them for everything they have. They know by giving them 2400 its a great deal to the NFL. If you read the article if they continue this, they can get up to 3 times the 5 million because even the NFL admittely said they knew about the problem before hand. Those seats for the SB were being sold at 5k a ticket. Anyone who travels knows when something like this comes along everything under the sun triples in price. I bet the hotels were charging about 500 bucks a night for just a single room. Take them for everything they got! The NFL rips off the fans ten times more than will admit to.

According to the story, 1,000 fans sue for $5,000,000. Assume it gets reduced to $2 million. The attorneys get 40% and you get 60% divided by 1,000 tickets, thats $1200, half of what the NFL is currently offering. Lets hear it for lawyers :wallbash:

That's like the equivalent of getting a free beer at the Queen Of Heaven beer tent. It's just not worth it!

They can't make it right. If that happened to me, I sue them for everything they have. They know by giving them 2400 its a great deal to the NFL. If you read the article if they continue this, they can get up to 3 times the 5 million because even the NFL admittely said they knew about the problem before hand. Those seats for the SB were being sold at 5k a ticket. Anyone who travels knows when something like this comes along everything under the sun triples in price. I bet the hotels were charging about 500 bucks a night for just a single room. Take them for everything they got! The NFL rips off the fans ten times more than will admit to.

I agree with this take and those similar to it. I vehemently disagree with those who think it's no big deal and that the NFL's offer is adequate.

My perspective is this:

I'm currently planning a trip in April, with my parents, to their ancestral lands. My parents are elderly…this may be the last time they can visit their homeland.

I work in construction. The way the economy is now, no one I work with is eager to put in for vacation time. The company fortunately has work right now and it would not be in the company's best interests, nor in my career's best interests, to take time off for a vacation.

For many families, going to a Super Bowl is a once-in-a-lifetime trip. It's not so much the money (that's a big part of it) but it's the challenge of getting tickets, arranging schedules, getting time off from work, coordinating with friends and/or family.

Life has no guarantees for the future. People die. Circumstances change. Some things are only attainable during a very short window of time.

For some percentage of the fans that were screwed, there can be no reparation. Granted the NFL can only offer what they can offer. But there are those who have been irreparably damaged. Some of the people who were screwed and mistreated by the ineptitude of the NFL will not get their satisfaction. There are people who will not be here next year…maybe they were terminally ill, elderly, or part of the unfortunate death lottery of life. Maybe they'll be unemployed or have a career change which will make attending a Super Bowl all but impossible.

Maybe attending the Super Bowl was a 25th Wedding Anniversary or some such special event which has now been ruined.

For a league rolling in money (for whom a few million dollars is nothing), I hope the NFL does right by these people. I'm not a lawyer but the damages go beyond the simple withholding of services. There's something akin to pain and suffering that happens when a once-in-a-lifetime vacation is ruined by incompetence.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

If the League had called these people a few days before the game and said "we have reason to believe that the seats you purchased for the SB will not be available due to a decision by the fire marshall. We apologize for this and we wish to compensate you in the following way. Many if not most of you will be moved to other seating (including field level club) or standing room areas. We will pay you triple ($2400) the face value of your ticket, we will give you a free ticket to next year's SB, we will allow you unprecedented access to the field after the game, we will comp you food and drinks and we will provide free NFL merchandise on site..."

How many do you think would have said "forget it, I'll stay home"?

No, I don't believe two people buying nosebleed seats had to pay $10,000 for a few nights and a SB in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

And the league knew that there were problems with the seating, but didn't make any call like that. They just crossed their fingers and hoped that everything would magically be fixed in time. They gambled and lost, now they have to pay up.

It's not just that people got displaced, it's the crappy and arrogant way the NFL tried to handle it.

According to the author of the article linked below these are the 2 options open to those who lost their seats:

Option 1: Three times face value of the two $800 tickets (that's $4,800) plus two tickets to next year's Super Bowl which are transferable to family or friends. No hotel, no flight.

Option 2: Two tickets to any future Super Bowl, plus airfare and four nights accommodations. No money. And the tickets are non-transferable.

I hadn't seen it spelled out this way so I thought it worth adding to this thread.

link

Didn't realize Merton Hanks had a league gig...