War Memorial Pics - Bills 1963

DFITZ1

Some of my friends and I knew Shorty Lalonde. He used to drive the Zamboni at Bison games. He did equipment and skate sharpening too. I remember on Mondays after school, they'd open up the Aud for kids to go and skate during hockey season.It was a glorious time. I also remember Spikes swallowing his tongue and convulsing. I think it was while playing the Jets at Shea. The thing I remember most about Ernie was his huge hands. If you haven't seen it already, you might enjoy this: youtube.com/watch?v=HeQYK59rMmY&feature=related

Thanks for the great video. Seen it before but I can always watch it again.

That was one tough team in 1964. Best Bills defense ever was in 64 and 65. EVER.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember watching the Bills beat the 49er's thru those beams in '72 (I think). While they were a slight pain, there were days when that roof at WMS was so welcome when teh rain (or snow) came down in sheets.

i remember that game when the bills beat the 49ers in 72. john brodie was the qb for the 49ers, they were actually favored to beat the bills and the bills came out and stung them. i remember the big tight end we drafted from ohio state, jan white, have a decent day. the one thing about war memorial was the 45 thousand sounded incredibly loud, the stadium was known for being loud, much like memorial stadium in baltimore was, in the those days.

I'm old enough to remember them, but how insane was it that that had the goal posts right at the goal line all those years. What an accident waiting to happen! And, I'd imagine they were used in strategy, too. Using them as picks.

DFITZ1, thanks for making the effort of posting those photos. Great color. I attended a few games at the Rockpile in 1966 - 67. I was in my last 2 years in high school then. After that, 4 yrs in the Air force as I didn't want to be drafted. College as a deferment wasn't an option as I wasn't college material. I'd wear the same clothes to games as I'd wear to school. There were no Bills jerseys, hats, ect.,ect., back then. Today, kids dress for school in team jerseys, hats, ect., ect. The ying and yang of things. Just thought I'd bring in a little socialogy of the times then & now.

I don't have any real wild beer stories per se to tell about the R-pile. Yeah it was a rickety old place. But I was thrilled to watch our Bills live. I was from a small town in the far eastern part of Niagara county. My older brother and I & a couple of his buds would go in on this package deal where we would drive to some bar outside of Lockport, get on this tour bus, and it would take us to the stadium, pick us up after the game & return to that bar. With those few games I attended then, I saw a home opener against the Jets w/ Joe Namath. And believe it or not, on one pass play, he did one of those jump-passes!! That must have been before his knees were REALLY bad. Saw a Bronco game when they had those orange & blue helmets w/ that corny looking white horse bucking up. In the middle of the field it would be so chewed up that dust would get kicked up & that dust cloud would be as high as the players. Geat times, great memories. I'm glad I grew up to see those & many other great sports events.

i remember that game when the bills beat the 49ers in 72. john brodie was the qb for the 49ers, they were actually favored to beat the bills and the bills came out and stung them. i remember the big tight end we drafted from ohio state, jan white, have a decent day. the one thing about war memorial was the 45 thousand sounded incredibly loud, the stadium was known for being loud, much like memorial stadium in baltimore was, in the those days.

One more thing about the 49er's game. John Brodie was either taken out or injured late in that game and his back up - none other than Steve Spurrier!

DFITZ1, thanks for making the effort of posting those photos. Great color. I attended a few games at the Rockpile in 1966 - 67. I was in my last 2 years in high school then. After that, 4 yrs in the Air force as I didn't want to be drafted. College as a deferment wasn't an option as I wasn't college material. I'd wear the same clothes to games as I'd wear to school. There were no Bills jerseys, hats, ect.,ect., back then. Today, kids dress for school in team jerseys, hats, ect., ect. The ying and yang of things. Just thought I'd bring in a little socialogy of the times then & now.

I don't have any real wild beer stories per se to tell about the R-pile. Yeah it was a rickety old place. But I was thrilled to watch our Bills live. I was from a small town in the far eastern part of Niagara county. My older brother and I & a couple of his buds would go in on this package deal where we would drive to some bar outside of Lockport, get on this tour bus, and it would take us to the stadium, pick us up after the game & return to that bar. With those few games I attended then, I saw a home opener against the Jets w/ Joe Namath. And believe it or not, on one pass play, he did one of those jump-passes!! That must have been before his knees were REALLY bad. Saw a Bronco game when they had those orange & blue helmets w/ that corny looking white horse bucking up. In the middle of the field it would be so chewed up that dust would get kicked up & that dust cloud would be as high as the players. Geat times, great memories. I'm glad I grew up to see those & many other great sports events.

Glad you like the pics, and glad you could share some great memories. It may not have been a "state-of-the-art" venue, but thank God it was there when needed to get the franchise started. We wouldn't have the 90's AFC Championship stories at the Ralph today, if not for the AFL championship days at the Rockpile.

One more thing about the 49er's game. John Brodie was either taken out or injured late in that game and his back up - none other than Steve Spurrier!

Glad you like the pics, and glad you could share some great memories. It may not have been a "state-of-the-art" venue, but thank God it was there when needed to get the franchise started. We wouldn't have the 90's AFC Championship stories at the Ralph today, if not for the AFL championship days at the Rockpile.

Copy that, DFITZ1! So you saw Spurrier play at the Rockpile, huh? I bet when he came out of the tunnel and saw the Rockpile, he gave birth to that double lip-flappin in the breeze w/ his puffed up cheeks he's now famous for.

Anybody remember seeing Calvin Murphy during halftime as part of the Niagara University's Purple Eagle Marching Band? He was their baton twirler I think?

I remember seeing him twirling on TV but I don't remember if it was at a football game or not (probably was). That brings up another great Buffalo sports moment. Calvin Murphy, Bob Lanier, and Randy Smith all played college hoops at the same time in WNY. 3 NBA stars all at once! (Would've been nice if the Braves drafted Lanier!).

I remember seeing him twirling on TV but I don't remember if it was at a football game or not (probably was). That brings up another great Buffalo sports moment. Calvin Murphy, Bob Lanier, and Randy Smith all played college hoops at the same time in WNY. 3 NBA stars all at once! (Would've been nice if the Braves drafted Lanier!).

Ok, DFITZ1, this one's a little off subject but, bet you don't remember the Stith brothers, Tom & Sam from the early 60's St. Bonaventure basketball program.

Ok, DFITZ1, this one's a little off subject but, bet you don't remember the Stith brothers, Tom & Sam from the early 60's St. Bonaventure basketball program.

I'm afraid not. I was way too young then. My fate was I didn't start following the Bills until '66, so I just missed the championship years, though I have vague memories of warching the '65 Championship. However, I do remember Johnny Bench vriefly playing for the baseball Bisons.

I was at that game too,Herb mulkee ran back the opening kickoff back 103 yards for a touchdown if I remember correctly.

I was there too. Still have the coin, card and an untorn ticket from the opener.

I had this vague memory of being at a Bills game and seeing Calvin with the baton. I remember thinking about that as an adult and saying that didn't really happen, did it? But, I am quite sure it did.........I also saw the Purple Eagles play at the Aud and my memory (which also has been confirmed) was that there warm-ups in part was almost like a Globetrotters routine with Calvin in the middle of that. He was amazing!