War Memorial Pics - Bills 1963

DFITZ1

:worthy: Great pictures!

For an old timer like me, who became a Bills fan watching games in that very stadium from 1968-1972, it really brought back great memories looking at your father-in-laws slide. My 5 years attending games in the real "Rock Pile" have to be why I have always loved Rich / Ralph Wilson Stadium so much. It really made me laugh in 2007, the last season I went to most of the games, to hear a lot of fans from Buffalo and out of town mock RWS like it was a rock pile itself. The face lift in 1998 was great and I think the Bills got more for their $160 Million then the other teams that re-modeled their existing stadiums. Sure the Bears, Packers and Chiefs stadiums may have been re-built more extravagantly but they also spent more then TWICE the amount of money to do it.

Walking into Rich Stadium that night when it opened up against the Redskins in the preseason of 1973, after 5 years of going to War Memorial Stadium, was a surreal experience. At that time, only Kansas City had a stadium anything like Rich. And Rich was even bigger then Arrowhead. The Cowboys had Texas Stadium with the hole on top and of course Houston played in the Astro Dome, but little Buffalo played in the newest biggest outdoor stadium in the NFL, and at 14 years old, I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

So you can mock RWS all you want. To me it will always be "the coolest thing ever." :thumbsup:

I was at that game too,Herb mulkee ran back the opening kickoff back 103 yards for a touchdown if I remember correctly.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only times we ever bought the 11PM edition of the Courier were after big Bills wins. Wow - those are great memories, from being like 8-12 years old. My Dad couldn't wait till the morning for the paper, we were so excited.

Fantastic pictures and, as mentioned, the scoreboard ads show the changes over time.

The morning Courier was fantastic. My grandparents got the morning Courier and my parents got the Evening News. I lived in a two family house on the west side, above my grandparents. I made a picture scrap book of the Bills from the black and white photos from both papers. The Courier always had tons of great photos. No cable, no ESPN, etc.

I had my AFL football cards in there too. I remember having all the Bills in the "tall card series" and also in the TV frame cards. Awesome.

It's neat seeing the scoreboard advertisements when M&T boasted itself as Manufacturer's and Traders Trust Co and the Buffalo News was the Buffalo Evening News (it was the BEN in WBEN before it became WIVB). Though, I preferred the Courier-Express because my father worked there.

I loved the Courier Express! Writers like Phil Ranallo and Paul Jayes, and I think Charlie Barton was the best hockey writer ever in the city of Buffalo.

I loved the Courier Express! Writers like Phil Ranallo and Paul Jayes, and I think Charlie Barton was the best hockey writer ever in the city of Buffalo.

Are you forgeting Jim Kelley?

Jim Kelley was the best hockey writer in Buffalo, in the USA, and maybe in all of North America.

In 2004, Kelley earned one of hockey's highest honors, receiving the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award, and induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Here's a couple pictures from the Rockpile during warm ups before the Bills-Oilers jousted on what I believe was openning day. This is from a slide my late father-in-law took from the west end zone seats. Actually, they are both teh same slide. The full picture, then a close up of teh field. If you show actual size, you can see Kemp, Lamonica and Gogolak just to teh left of the right-hand upright, Elbert Dubenion is to the right of the upright, and possibly Cookie Gilchrist (running towards the camera) to the right of him. My father-in-law, who passed last year at 89, was an original Rockpile season ticket holder, who in his lifetime got to see what many still dream of, the Bills carried off the field as champions.

post-3583-044789100 1296355562_thumb.jpg

Second pic. Higher resolution pic of the players.

post-3583-018297200 1296355963_thumb.jpg

You can see Lamonica, Gogolak, Kemp, and Cookie in that second pic. It warms my heart to hear some of the reactions from all you "old timers". Kinda makes me feel like our suffering hasn't been in vain these past years.

Are you forgeting Jim Kelley?

Jim Kelley was the best hockey writer in Buffalo, in the USA, and maybe in all of North America.

In 2004, Kelley earned one of hockey's highest honors, receiving the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award, and induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Bob, let's not argue about it. Jim Kelley was a good writer. In that era, the BEN hockey writer was Dick Johnston. I liked Charlie Barton. Reading his column the day after an ice Bisons game made me feel like I was there.

Any of you guys remember a show called "The Quarterback Club", hosted by Ernie Warlick late Sunday mornings on Channel 2?

Memories! Nice pix.

Only went to the Rockpile once as a lad, but I'll never forget the obstructed views (roof overhang supports) while trying to watch the game.

I remember watching the Bills beat the 49er's thru those beams in '72 (I think). While they were a slight pain, there were days when that roof at WMS was so welcome when teh rain (or snow) came down in sheets.

Thanks so much Dfitz1 for sharing your photo. I love old photos particularly those that capture something that I wish I could have seen in person and no longer exists. That scoreboard is a 60's vintage classic. Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing the pics! Those are cool! I'm too young to have seen a game at War Memorial Stadium.

Walking into Rich Stadium that night when it opened up against the Redskins in the preseason of 1973, after 5 years of going to War Memorial Stadium, was a surreal experience. At that time, only Kansas City had a stadium anything like Rich. And Rich was even bigger then Arrowhead. The Cowboys had Texas Stadium with the hole on top and of course Houston played in the Astro Dome, but little Buffalo played in the newest biggest outdoor stadium in the NFL, and at 14 years old, I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

That is something I really used to think was cool about Rich Stadium. Here little old Buffalo led the league in attendance for so many years, partly due to the fact that we had one of the biggest stadiums in the league for a very long time.

Sadly, we live in the day and age when it's more about luxury boxes and branding rather than about filling the seats with loyal, die-hard fans (and it's not just football).

Great pictures.

The photos are actually from November 1, 1964 - Houston at Buffalo.

Pete Gogolak (#3) was on the team in 1964 and 1965.

Walt Cudzik (#53, far left of second photo) was on the the team in 1964 only. The Bills did not have a #53 in 1965.

#20 is Bobby Smith, a backup running back who played in 1964 and 1965.

Good forensics, and thanks to Dfitz for posting.

Great pictures.

The photos are actually from November 1, 1964 - Houston at Buffalo.

Pete Gogolak (#3) was on the team in 1964 and 1965.

Walt Cudzik (#53, far left of second photo) was on the the team in 1964 only. The Bills did not have a #53 in 1965.

#20 is Bobby Smith, a backup running back who played in 1964 and 1965.

I had an inkling feeling I had the wrong year. I was going to check the date out but never got around to it. Thanks for doing so, I'll change the title. At least I got the right era!

And also Jim Peters. I know a guy at work who worked with at the Courier for a short time in the 60's and he went with Jim Peters to training camp when it was held in Blasdell. With the writers mentioned, as well as Jim Kelley and Larry Felser, Buffalo was blessed with first class sportswriters.

Thanks for sharing the pics! Those are cool! I'm too young to have seen a game at War Memorial Stadium.

That is something I really used to think was cool about Rich Stadium. Here little old Buffalo led the league in attendance for so many years, partly due to the fact that we had one of the biggest stadiums in the league for a very long time.

Sadly, we live in the day and age when it's more about luxury boxes and branding rather than about filling the seats with loyal, die-hard fans (and it's not just football).

Selling out Rich Stadium on a regular basis was a surprise to RWS. His idea was to build with all the seats you can, since at the time, all home games were blacked out. When the Bills started selling out even with blackouts lifted, the Bills checked where all the fans were coming from, and found out that they had a sizable contingent from Rochester; hence, regionalization of the Bills dates back to those early Rich Stadium days.

Here's a couple pictures from the Rockpile during warm ups before the Bills-Oilers jousted on what I believe was openning day. This is from a slide my late father-in-law took from the west end zone seats. Actually, they are both teh same slide. The full picture, then a close up of teh field. If you show actual size, you can see Kemp, Lamonica and Gogolak just to teh left of the right-hand upright, Elbert Dubenion is to the right of the upright, and possibly Cookie Gilchrist (running towards the camera) to the right of him. My father-in-law, who passed last year at 89, was an original Rockpile season ticket holder, who in his lifetime got to see what many still dream of, the Bills carried off the field as champions.

Wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing a rare piece of Buffalo Bills history.

Great photos. I became a Bills fan in 1963 as they detroyed the NY Jets at old Shea Stadium in the first football game my dad took me to. Everyone with us was jets fans as we got free tix from Leon Hess as guys in my neighborhood worked at the Hess oil refiner where I grew up in NJ. Only thing was after seeing Gilchrist and the Bills destroy the Jets is that I was hooked on them and have never stopped in 47 years. Now my 2 boys also are hooked and we go to Buffalo once a year in addition to NJ when the Bills are in town. Great photos of the old goal posts on the goal line. Those were the days. I also remember the game that the opposition claimed that Gogo was offsides on his KOs and the refs called it twice or so one game as his plant foot was over the 40 yard line on his plant. Not sure if this was 1964 or 1963. Rememeber Tom Day extending his arm to the QB after a sack to help him up. Those were the days of Tracy, Jacobs Stratton, best LBs ever. Sestak, Day, Dunaway, Byrd, edgerson, Saimes, etc. real tough players who played for pride , not $.

You can see Lamonica, Gogolak, Kemp, and Cookie in that second pic. It warms my heart to hear some of the reactions from all you "old timers". Kinda makes me feel like our suffering hasn't been in vain these past years.

Bob, let's not argue about it. Jim Kelley was a good writer. In that era, the BEN hockey writer was Dick Johnston. I liked Charlie Barton. Reading his column the day after an ice Bisons game made me feel like I was there.

Any of you guys remember a show called "The Quarterback Club", hosted by Ernie Warlick late Sunday mornings on Channel 2?

Hey if you liked Charlie Barton then so be it. You are correct, Dick Johnston covered hockey before Kelley. I used to go to many Bison games as a kid and I actually got to meet Fred Hunt, Frank Cristie, Dennis Hextall, Guy Trotier, Bob Blackburn and some others. I was a kid and did not know what to say other than hello but it was fun.

The News and The Courier really did have some good writers. But that was another era and there seemed to be a respect for the players privacy by the media. Today nothing is off limits and with twitter and such the players seems to create their own controversy at times.

I remember "The Quarterback Club" and I met Ernie a few times when I was a kid. He recall he sold hamburgers.

I even remember that poor Jack Spikes swallowed his tongue one time in a game. Thankfully he turn out ok.

Edited by Bob in STL

Great photos. I became a Bills fan in 1963 as they detroyed the NY Jets at old Shea Stadium in the first football game my dad took me to. Everyone with us was jets fans as we got free tix from Leon Hess as guys in my neighborhood worked at the Hess oil refiner where I grew up in NJ. Only thing was after seeing Gilchrist and the Bills destroy the Jets is that I was hooked on them and have never stopped in 47 years. Now my 2 boys also are hooked and we go to Buffalo once a year in addition to NJ when the Bills are in town. Great photos of the old goal posts on the goal line. Those were the days. I also remember the game that the opposition claimed that Gogo was offsides on his KOs and the refs called it twice or so one game as his plant foot was over the 40 yard line on his plant. Not sure if this was 1964 or 1963. Rememeber Tom Day extending his arm to the QB after a sack to help him up. Those were the days of Tracy, Jacobs Stratton, best LBs ever. Sestak, Day, Dunaway, Byrd, edgerson, Saimes, etc. real tough players who played for pride , not $.

My first game at WMS was in '68 where Darryl Lamonica and the Raiders flattened the Bills 48-6 and Joel Collier was fired as HC the next day (though he was a tremondous DC, including years afterward for Denver and the Pats). However, I was jealous of my brother who went to WMS a week or 2 later and watched Joe Namath and teh Jets get embarrassed by teh Bills who had about 5 int's. That's teh year the Jets won SBIII and lost only 2 games, and it was to the 2 worst in the AFL.

I was at the last game at WMS against Detroit (17-17) and saw OJ make his longest run of his career against the Steelers. 94 yards into the tunnel (Pit won anyway). Speaking of the tunnel, you could get up pretty close to the players coming out onto the field.

Hey if you liked Charlie Barton then so be it. You are correct, Dick Johnston covered hockey before Kelley. I used to go to many Bison games as a kid and I actually got to meet Fred Hunt, Frank Cristie, Dennis Hextall, Guy Trotier, Bob Blackburn and some others. I was a kid and did not know what to say other than hello but it was fun.

The News and The Courier really did have some good writers. But that was another era and there seemed to be a respect for the players privacy by the media. Today nothing is off limits and with twitter and such the players seems to create their own controversy at times.

I remember "The Quarterback Club" and I met Ernie a few times when I was a kid. He recall he sold hamburgers.

I even remember that poor Jack Spikes swallowed his tongue one time in a game. Thankfully he turn out ok.

Some of my friends and I knew Shorty Lalonde. He used to drive the Zamboni at Bison games. He did equipment and skate sharpening too. I remember on Mondays after school, they'd open up the Aud for kids to go and skate during hockey season.It was a glorious time. I also remember Spikes swallowing his tongue and convulsing. I think it was while playing the Jets at Shea. The thing I remember most about Ernie was his huge hands. If you haven't seen it already, you might enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeQYK59rMmY&feature=related

Some of my friends and I knew Shorty Lalonde. He used to drive the Zamboni at Bison games. He did equipment and skate sharpening too. I remember on Mondays after school, they'd open up the Aud for kids to go and skate during hockey season.It was a glorious time. I also remember Spikes swallowing his tongue and convulsing. I think it was while playing the Jets at Shea. The thing I remember most about Ernie was his huge hands. If you haven't seen it already, you might enjoy this: youtube.com/watch?v=HeQYK59rMmY&feature=related

Great U-tube link! Thank you.

boogers I'm not 'allowed' to view the pictures