An Open Letter to the People of Wisconsin.

Dear(est?) Wisconsin:

First, please, understand that we not only like you, but we love you. You make cheeses. And meats. And beers. And you do it so quietly, so unassumingly, that we don't even know that you're there, most of the time. Until, well, the Packers get far in the playoffs or UW does something once in a while. (Let's face it; the Bucks are hopeless, and the Brewers, well, it's not likely to be 1982 again--which is good, because I really don't want Culture Club anywhere near the top forty chart, anyway.)

EVERYONE loves you. Again, you're giving (meats, cheeses, beers), but unassuming, and you're not self-promoting the way that Stillers and Cowgirls fans are. You've got your three Super Bowls, but you're not jackasses about it, and for that, again, we're appreciative.

All this is leading up to one point: Please, for the love of all that is good, let's hope your team beats the Stillers. The entire country, or at least those parts that care about hockey and football, are sick of these a*sh*les. "City of champions," we hear again and again, as if the Pirates didn't exist. They are a die-hard group, to be sure, with little besides sports to entertain them or be proud of (oh, I've been to Pittsburgh a bunch of times, and it's sports, sports, and more sports (except, of course, baseball--I would ignore that too if I were there); it's not an arts & culture town); but even appreciating that, I don't think that the rest of America can deal with another Pittsburgh trophy in any sport. The smugness might destroy the entire Rust Belt.

Green Bay truly is "America's team," when it comes to football, anyway. I mean, you're the kid brother that we all pull for, the Lucas who is going to catch that touchdown pass. You're from some smallish town NEAR Milwaukee without actually BEING Milwaukee, and that's really kind of cool. I know what Dallas calls itself, but everybody freaking hates that team. You've got "America's Team." Does anyone outside of Chicago, Detroit and Minne-Paul hate Green Bay? Of course not. The fans and players are too unassuming and polite for hatred outside of the division.

Here's the important part, though: Please, keep your polite, "hey, we won, but we won't be jerks about it" ways. Please, stay humble and unassuming. And please, beat the hell out of the freaking Stillers.

/oh, and may this UB grad see Starks as a SB MVP!!!!!

I thought you were going to ask them to send us there offensive line from UW ---- sike !!! you sure did fool me !! But i do agree , good article !!!!

A little historical perspective is needed here. My father sold a lot of printing to the Cowboys from 1960 - 1987 and was very in tight with the Cowboys brass. Hence, we were huge Cowboy fans. The Packer grudge comes from the 1966 and 1967 NFL Championships. The Stealer grudge dates from the 2 SB the Cowboys lost to the Stealers. The grudge intensified when in 2005 I played on the Seattle Seahawks drumline. We went to the SB with the team. Of course once again my team got beat in an SB by the Stealers. 3 SB losses > 2 NFL Championships. So, go Pack (for one day).

I became a Bills fan in 1996 thanks to the love of a good woman. So my perspective is a little different than many of yours.

Isn't it interesting how everyone's perspective is different?

I hate Dallas with a white-hot passion - not just because of the Superbowls, but also because I used to work for a guy that always ragged on me & the Bills and talked up his precious Cowboys. I love Green Bay because of their small-town love of the game and (mostly) unconditional support for their team. I like the Colts because of the way Peyton Manning plays the game.

I used to like the Steelers, but their self-righteous fans won't shut the **** up anymore. I have respect for the way they play the game, but I want them to lose because it's someone else's turn to win.

i'm a Bill's fan period and i wish that we could have what the Steeler fans have. i wish we could have won all four SBs and the ones we had a chance to get into as well. i can tolerate Steeler fans, they at least can back up their self-righteousness; a possible 7th Lombardi is it??? i've lost track, i can only imagine how that would feel....... :cry:

To the original poster... Right on! They don't call it "Titletown" for nothing!

Now... On the note of the worst fans in the game: The Steelers.

You know who would be the second worst? The Bills fans IF we ever won anything... We would be exactly like the Steelers fans IMO... Maybe God is teaching us a valuable lesson by not making us douchebags too! :P