CBA questions

Virgil

I've done some looking online and can't find an update or definitive answer on this.

If a new CBA is reached before the draft and a rookie cap is set, would it apply to this years draft?

Also, are they even still talking about this. All of the articles just focus on the 18 game schedule.

In regards to that, are NFL players currently paid for Preseason games? If so, and we cut 2 preseason games and add 2 playoff games, wouldn't that mean that the players are already getting paid for the correct number of games if the change is made?

When a CBA expires everything comes to a halt.

Everything also can come up as part of the bargaining negotiations. Everything. However, as a practical matter both sides can agree to not open up every clause in the previous contract to bargaining, and often don't. The last contract is the starting point - although it's principles are no longer in force.

The current CBA extends THROUGH this year's Draft. Therefore, it is subject to the terms and conditions that are currently in place.

The Draft is however, the last official act that the CBA covers. The agreement expires when The Draft ends.

No FA signings can happen, nor can trades and I don't believe that the Draftees can be signed to their rookie contracts.

I don't believe that undrafted college players can be signed by clubs either.

It all comes to a screeching halt. Everything.

Players get a stipend for the preseason games. They get 1/16th of their contracted salary each week during the season.

One of the sticking points is how the extra one or two regular season games will be paid. Most that I've heard talking about it say the owners want to simply pro-rate the 16 game contracts to extend them for another two pay days at the same (current) contract rate. e.g., if a player had a contract for $1,600,000.00 he'd draw a game day paycheck of $100,000.00 each of 16 weeks - under the terms of the old contract. If The League can get an 18 game season - the owner would pay that player $1,800,000.00 for the extended season. From what I've heard, the players are less keen about that arrangement. They want more.

I am all for the owners on this issue, because it is their league. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, go ahead. The upper echelon of players make way too much money and they are the ones who should not need to rely on the league to take care of them. Players who make a good amount of money and last 5 or 6 years are the ones who need to be organizing. I do not think Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, or Orlando Pace are going to hurt for money - and if they do, it's because of mistakes they made.

That said, there needs to be a rookie cap and I find it ridiculous that rookies are not allowed to sign if there is a lockout. The rookie cap should work in 1/3's. The top two rounds are paid X% of players in their position already in the NFL, the next two rounds should be a smaller % of that, while the next two are even smaller %. The final round, 7, should be a flat price, rookie minimum.

The NFL should put an individual cap on each players position. Take the entirity of players at this position, put a cap on it and each year increase for cost of living.

This will allow for a much easier transition in to whatever the NFL will do with schedules and everything would simply be pro-rated per game.

I've done some looking online and can't find an update or definitive answer on this.

If a new CBA is reached before the draft and a rookie cap is set, would it apply to this years draft?

Also, are they even still talking about this. All of the articles just focus on the 18 game schedule.

In regards to that, are NFL players currently paid for Preseason games? If so, and we cut 2 preseason games and add 2 playoff games, wouldn't that mean that the players are already getting paid for the correct number of games if the change is made?

I don't think there's an answer to your question, seems like it would be something that would be negotiated into the new CBA. The drafted players won't be able to sign until a new CBA is reached, so if it was determined a rookie scale is to be used it would also have to be negotiated as to when it starts. Seems like owners would be pushing for it to apply to this upcoming draft.

Also, regarding your second question:

"There is one misconception," said McNair. "Some people think that the players don’t get paid for the preseason games. That’s not true. They get paid the same for the preseason as the regular season, so they are paid for 20 games. They don’t start getting their checks until the regular season starts. You are cutting up their total compensation into 17 checks instead of 20; that’s the way it works, but they are getting paid the full amount."

Seems like they don't get checks for the preseason games.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-owner-s-comment-about-pre-season-pay-is-a-bit-misleading?render=print

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

the rookie cap "could" apply to 2011 if they so choose.....they can agree on anything they like.

the players are "paid" based on their percentage of revenues....the league is arguing that revenue would go up if the ratio was changed to 18&2 vs 16&4. the league has already informed/floated the idea that they will be cutting preseason down to two games wether they agree on 18 or 16 reg season games, thus inferring LESS revenue from the loss of two preseason games if the players don't agree to 18&2.