Reasons to Not Pick a QB in Next Draft

box0life

1. All QB's in this years draft are huge risks and none are worthy of the third pick in the draft.

2. This team does not improve unless they improve defensive talent to stop the run. First three picks in the draft should go towards DT, DE, LB.

3. Luck, Terelle Pryor, Landry Jones, Barkley, and several other QB's will be available in 2012. Some of these QB's have better pro potential.

4. Fitzpatrick is in his prime, give him another full year with this offense and these upcoming receivers.

5. Improvement from Spiller, young receivers and getting Parrish and Easley back from injury will help Fitzpatrick.

6. Concentrate in FA on finding a RT, TE and a back up QB.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Same could be said every year.

2. Drafting a QB poses no detriment to improving the defense. There is great defensive talent in the 2011 draft in rounds 2-4

3. Very weak class. With the exception of Luck all project much worse pro prospects then Cam & Mallet

4. No one want the rookie to start.

5. No one wants the rookie to start.

6. Seems irrelevant to me.

Josh Freeman wasn't rated as high as #11 in 2007 but in the long run that would have been a great pick over Lynch.

If there is a guy you think can be "the man" you take him when you have a chance.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I have been a Aaron Rodgers fan for a few years now. After watching last night's game, I am reminded of what we need in a QB. On maybe 10 occassions last night, Rodgers was chased from the pocket, and the play (in our case) would've been dead or worse, a sack, and Rodgers, running towards the sideline, hits a reciever downfield for 7-20 yard gains. My point here is, when he moves and throws, he hits his guys in stride.

More than just in movement, though, but when he throws the 20 yarders and when he throws the five yarders - he hits his recievers. THAT KIND OF ACCURACY IS WHAT WE NEED IN A QB - and it is what we haven't had in a long while.

Find me a QB in this draft who is:

1. Accurate - very accurate, or, who has the mechanics and potential to be taught to be very accurate. Bradford type accuracy.

2. Toughness. I want a QB who will want to fight to win, who will want to either come back and never give up, or who will want to seal the win with the extra, final nail in the coffin sort of finish.

The rest - running, alleged character, height - whatever - if there is a QB in the second tier this year who looks to possess excellent accuracy, intelligence, and who isn't either a wuss or just doens't have a heart, then I say we go in that direction.

I'm sick of seeing QB's - Fitz is a great example, but there are many in the league - who can't even hit, on a regular basis, the 5-20 yard passes; who, if they lead their team down the field for a string of 5-8 passes, it is considered a highlight game. I mean, the guy is a pro QB - it should be the norm for him to hit most of his passes, and he should make several a game that awe us...

1. Same could be said every year.

2. Drafting a QB poses no detriment to improving the defense. There is great defensive talent in the 2011 draft in rounds 2-4

3. Very weak class. With the exception of Luck all project much worse pro prospects then Cam & Mallet

4. No one want the rookie to start.

5. No one wants the rookie to start.

6. Seems irrelevant to me.

Josh Freeman wasn't rated as high as #11 in 2007 but in the long run that would have been a great pick over Lynch.

If there is a guy you think can be "the man" you take him when you have a chance.

The Ravens drafted their golden boy franchise QB. Can you in all honesty tell me he is better than Fitz???? Because he flat out sucked last night. If the Ravens didn't have a rock solid D, along with a Rice/ Mcgahee combo Joe Flacco would be considered a bust.

I have been a Aaron Rodgers fan for a few years now. After watching last night's game, I am reminded of what we need in a QB. On maybe 10 occassions last night, Rodgers was chased from the pocket, and the play (in our case) would've been dead or worse, a sack, and Rodgers, running towards the sideline, hits a reciever downfield for 7-20 yard gains. My point here is, when he moves and throws, he hits his guys in stride.

More than just in movement, though, but when he throws the 20 yarders and when he throws the five yarders - he hits his recievers. THAT KIND OF ACCURACY IS WHAT WE NEED IN A QB - and it is what we haven't had in a long while.

Find me a QB in this draft who is:

1. Accurate - very accurate, or, who has the mechanics and potential to be taught to be very accurate. Bradford type accuracy.

2. Toughness. I want a QB who will want to fight to win, who will want to either come back and never give up, or who will want to seal the win with the extra, final nail in the coffin sort of finish.

The rest - running, alleged character, height - whatever - if there is a QB in the second tier this year who looks to possess excellent accuracy, intelligence, and who isn't either a wuss or just doens't have a heart, then I say we go in that direction.

I'm sick of seeing QB's - Fitz is a great example, but there are many in the league - who can't even hit, on a regular basis, the 5-20 yard passes; who, if they lead their team down the field for a string of 5-8 passes, it is considered a highlight game. I mean, the guy is a pro QB - it should be the norm for him to hit most of his passes, and he should make several a game that awe us...

If Aaron Rogers is re-entering the draft this year then I'm all for picking him. If not then let the QB imposters entered this year go some where else. Fix the Defence and the O line and all things will fall into place.

I went back and looked over the prospects, and I think these guys match what we want (toughness, accuracy, heart) - Locker, Nick Foles - Arizona, 6 foot, 5 inches tall, 235 pounds, senior season completed 78.6% of his passes with 8.9 YPA average (just the kind of stats we want), and then there is Ponder who I'll leave to the Bills to judge, and finally Pat Devlin - Delaware, 6 foot 4 inches, 220 pounds, "toughest QB in college right now", has a rocket arm and good accuracy.

I like McElroy from Alabama as a backup.

Anyway, there are my guesses as to who we'd go after. Locker in the first if we do draft that high. I'm not liking what I've actually seen of Blaine Gabbert. Ponder in the second if we get one there. Foles between 2nd and 3rd round. Devlin would be a 4th round prospect, unless a team loved him and went for him in the third.

Edited by sllib olaffub

I went back and looked over the prospects, and I think these guys match what we want (toughness, accuracy, heart) - Locker, Nick Foles - Arizona, 6 foot, 5 inches tall, 235 pounds, senior season completed 78.6% of his passes with 8.9 YPA average (just the kind of stats we want), and then there is Ponder who I'll leave to the Bills to judge, and finally Pat Devlin - Delaware, 6 foot 4 inches, 220 pounds, "toughest QB in college right now", has a rocket arm and good accuracy.

Anyway, there are my guesses as to who we'd go after. Locker in the first if we do draft that high. I'm not liking what I've actually seen of Blaine Gabbert. Ponder in the second if we get one there. Foles between 2nd and 3rd round. Devlin would be a 4th round prospect, unless a team loved him and went for him in the third.

I'm sure Jim Kelly doesn't know "anything" about football, but he stated there is not a QB worthy of the #3 pick in the 1st round this year, and there are too many holes to fix to worry about solving a problem that doesn't exist. We also should have kept Lynch and not drafted CJ, ignoring the numerous holes as well last year.

Edited by Tarkus II

Why would we want the chance at getting elite-level QB play? Then we'd be a relevant NFL franchise again and would have to lose our lovable loser persona.

Quarterbacks aren't important. We can easily rebuild back to 7-9 or so with our bottom-third of the league guy.

Also, let's ignore that our offense was actually worse than our defense this year, relative to the other teams in the league.

Locker??? That's a joke.

You must not have actually seen him play.

He crumbles under any kind of pressure, isn't accurate and can't win games.

Why would we want the chance at getting elite-level QB play? Then we'd be a relevant NFL franchise again and would have to lose our lovable loser persona.

Quarterbacks aren't important. We can easily rebuild back to 7-9 or so with our bottom-third of the league guy.

Also, let's ignore that our offense was actually worse than our defense this year, relative to the other teams in the league.

Which of the QB's coming out this year do you consider "elite"? And on your 2nd point, I've got a news flash for you. If our D didn't give up 175 yards rushing per game, eating up the clock, maybe just maybe the offense might get a few more touches and put up a few more TD's.

I'm sure Jim Kelly doesn't know "anything" about football, but he stated there is not a QB worthy of the #3 pick in the 1st round this year, and there are too many holes to fix to worry about solving a problem that doesn't exist. We also should have kept Lynch and not drafted CJ, ignoring the numerous holes as well last year.

Jim Kelly also thought the Trent Edwards was going to be our answer, Its very early to determine if CJ was a mistake, even if CJ is not a everydown back, he will be a nice asset when we do get that developing QB

Nick Foles is going to be a great checkdown QB in the NFL. Ponder, I really like. Devlin does NOT have a rocket for an arm. Not even close. McElroy is exactly like Fitz. A guy who doesn't have the all the physical attributes.

Out of those QB's listed, I like Ponder and Devlin the best. However, I like Ponder much better than Devlin. Devlin will be compared to Flacco but he doesn't have nearly as a strong of an arm.

Jim Kelly also thought the Trent Edwards was going to be our answer, Its very early to determine if CJ was a mistake, even if CJ is not a everydown back, he will be a nice asset when we do get that developing QB

In the beginning Trent did appear to be, as many would agree. Wasn't implying CJ will be a bust, only that it wasn't a position of need. Had we used it on a LB or DL the team would have been better served IMO. And as far as Fitz is concerned he is serviceable at this point with room to improve. Evans is the only big name wide out he has to work with. I love Stevie but he will never be a #1.

Nick Foles smartly did nit declare for the 2011 draft because he is inconsistent and often injured and has lots to prove next season.

He could be the second best QB in 2012 which shows you how garbage next year's QB class is.

Matt Barkley is a joke as an NFL prospect. Best case he is Colt McCoy at 6-2 there is no way Batkley goes in the first round.

There is no reason not to take a QB in this draft. In fact, the Bills really should take a quarterback in this draft. They just shouldn't do it in rounds 1 or 2, or maybe even 3 (depending on who is available at what positions, including QB, by then).

Yeah Levi Brown part II is a great use of a pick.

No no no and no. Either sign a veteran #2 QB or take a chance on a real prospective QB like Mallet or Newton.

Don't waste a mid to late round pick.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Yeah Levi Brown part II is a great use of a pick.

No no no and no. Either sign a veteran #2 QB or take a chance on a real prospective QB like Mallet or Newton.

Don't waste a mid to late round pick.

A "#2 QB," veteran or not, isn't what we're looking for. We're looking for the guy who is going to start in two or three years. It is tougher to find a QB in free agency or through a trade than it is to find a player at any other position, so it's not a "waste" to take a QB with a mid-round pick, see how he develops, and pursue the other positional needs via free agency or trades.

I'm not sure how much either Mallett or Newton are blue-chip prospects, but those are the two guys I had in mind when I mentioned the third round, if they fall that far. I don't think they will; I think other teams will be dumb enough to blow first-round picks on these guys, whom I don't believe have first-round talent.

If Colin Kaepernick is available in the 5th, I'd take him and find that average-to-below ILB that you're going to draft 5th through FA or a trade instead.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

A "#2 QB," veteran or not, isn't what we're looking for. We're looking for the guy who is going to start in two or three years. It is tougher to find a QB in free agency or through a trade than it is to find a player at any other position, so it's not a "waste" to take a QB with a mid-round pick, see how he develops, and pursue the other positional needs via free agency or trades.

I'm not sure how much either Mallett or Newton are blue-chip prospects, but those are the two guys I had in mind when I mentioned the third round, if they fall that far. I don't think they will; I think other teams will be dumb enough to blow first-round picks on these guys, whom I don't believe have first-round talent.

If Colin Kaepernick is available in the 5th, I'd take him and find that average-to-below ILB that you're going to draft 5th through FA or a trade instead.

Colin Kaepernick would be a wasted pick. Unless we were going to run some wildcat plays, he will have no role with us. Stay away.