NFL Seeks to Ban "I'm rubber and You're Glue..."

ajzepp

I'm not saying I condone THREATS, but I consider trash talking an art and feel that it serves to intensify rivalries and enhance interest in an event. There are examples of both threats and trash talk cited in this article, but I hope the NFL is careful about how they tread here...

ESPN Article

This quote by twinkle toes Rexy is something I agree with 100%

"You shouldn't like who you are going up against right now," he said. "This is the playoffs. I can tell you our whole team respects Brady and the Patriots. But hey, we don't like any of them right now. You shouldn't. [Former Jets running back] Danny Woodhead is a great kid, but I can't stand Danny Woodhead right now."

Edited by ajzepp

I'm not saying I condone THREATS, but I consider trash talking an art and feel that it serves to intensify rivalries and enhance interest in an event. There are examples of both threats and trash talk cited in this article, but I hope the NFL is careful about how they tread here...

ESPN Article

This quote by twinkle toes Rexy is something I agree with 100%

"You shouldn't like who you are going up against right now," he said. "This is the playoffs. I can tell you our whole team respects Brady and the Patriots. But hey, we don't like any of them right now. You shouldn't. [Former Jets running back] Danny Woodhead is a great kid, but I can't stand Danny Woodhead right now."

Bill Romanoski:

"I felt I could take myself to a place where other guys weren’t willing to go because come Sunday after a game, I already started hating the next opponent. I started hating the guy I was going to go against," says Romanowski. "I hated the coaches. I hated their fans. I hated their family. You name it. And by the time I got onto that field come Sunday, watch out because there was rage."

I get it. Or Bruce Smith, talking about how there was definitely a "switch" for him when the uniform went on and the whistle blew to start the game, and how his favorite sound was the kind of moan the QB made after he hit him.

But when it comes Bart Scott saying "His [Welker's] days in a uniform will be numbered. Put it like that." that crosses the line into threats IMO.

Bill Romanoski:

"I felt I could take myself to a place where other guys weren’t willing to go because come Sunday after a game, I already started hating the next opponent. I started hating the guy I was going to go against," says Romanowski. "I hated the coaches. I hated their fans. I hated their family. You name it. And by the time I got onto that field come Sunday, watch out because there was rage."

I get it. Or Bruce Smith, talking about how there was definitely a "switch" for him when the uniform went on and the whistle blew to start the game, and how his favorite sound was the kind of moan the QB made after he hit him.

But when it comes Bart Scott saying "His [Welker's] days in a uniform will be numbered. Put it like that." that crosses the line into threats IMO.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it. Threats are way out of line, but those other quotes you posted are exactly the sort of thing that is just part of the sport. It wouldn't be much fun watching well-mannered robots out there for 60 minutes...I want to watch players who trash talk, hold grudges, etc. I want to see the passion and know that demoralizing and laying waste to their opponent is important to them. That's what football is about, dammit. It was part of the game back when I played on the worst team in the history of high school football, and it's part of the game for the greatest teams in the NFL.

Just so I'm clear...the NFL considers Muhammad Ali to be unsportsmanlike now?

Exactly...Ali without the trash talking and self-aggrandizing just isn't the same at all. Sterility is for operating rooms, not contact sports.

Sterility is for operating roomsAmerican society

Fixed. After all, we can't have 'rage disorder' ruining football.

Just look how the purveyors of pussification have ruined college football with the replays and unsportsmanlike flags every third play. Now they are coming for the NFL.

I always think of that clip of LT on the sidelines pumping up his teammates, saying something like "let's go out like a pack of wild dogs!!!". And they were. Bad things man....

Edited by KD in CT

Fixed. After all, we can't have 'rage disorder' ruining football.

Just look how the purveyors of pussification have ruined college football with the replays and unsportsmanlike flags every third play. Now they are coming for the NFL.

I always think of that clip of LT on the sidelines pumping up his teammates, saying something like "let's go out like a pack of wild dogs!!!". And they were. Bad things man....

I love that clip...and it's a perfect example of the hypocrisy here, cause that clip is always showing up in NFL productions. I grew up watching that crazy bastard LT, and he was as violent a player as it gets and that's part of what made him great. The trash talking that takes place through the media in between games is nothing compared to what's said on the field during the game. I always love hearing players give accoutns of who some of the best trash talkers were when they played, or who the most intimidating opponents were, etc. Football is a violent game by nature, and while there should be certain rules to promote safety, the intensity and psychological aspects should be embraced not suppressed.

I love that clip...and it's a perfect example of the hypocrisy here, cause that clip is always showing up in NFL productions. I grew up watching that crazy bastard LT, and he was as violent a player as it gets and that's part of what made him great. The trash talking that takes place through the media in between games is nothing compared to what's said on the field during the game. I always love hearing players give accoutns of who some of the best trash talkers were when they played, or who the most intimidating opponents were, etc. Football is a violent game by nature, and while there should be certain rules to promote safety, the intensity and psychological aspects should be embraced not suppressed.

Absolutely. When a guy is that good and that bat-stojan crazy, opponents live in fear and that psychological edge made him even better.

I don't have a problem with them trying to stop the blatant head-hunting, but trying to control natural aggression will just ruin the game.

Bill Romanoski:

Well, steroid rage anyway.

Also, the next time Bart Scott comes close to ending anyone's days in a uniform will be his first.

Absolutely. When a guy is that good and that bat-stojan crazy, opponents live in fear and that psychological edge made him even better.

I don't have a problem with them trying to stop the blatant head-hunting, but trying to control natural aggression will just ruin the game.

Now I miss having LT in the game....lol

There was something I was watching recently where they had Bill Parcells discussing LT back in the day. He wasn't happy with how LT was playing, so he started basically calling the guy out and trying to get in his head psychologically. Later in the same game, LT went out and just wreaked havoc on the other team, which led to that same sort of performance in the following weeks to come. I got the sense that Parcells really played a big role in sort of bringing that controlled violence out in LT and helping him to use it productively on the field. I love seeing stuff like that.