What did we learn in the 2010 season?

Beerball

We learned that Fitz is a bonified starter at best, a worthy caretaker at worst, depending on your point of view. Trent Edwards is now thankfully in the rear view mirror. In that regard we also learned that a competent QB can make a suspect O-line look decent.

We learned that S. Johnson is a #1 receiver at best, or a #2 at worst. Some might think that a solid #2 is still too far of a leap, but, this season was his first real opportunity to get on the field and make plays. I hope that he continues to improve his game, most importantly the mental aspect. Let's see him focus 100% of the time on the field whether practice or game. I don't like the antics, but I'll certainly overlook them if he makes the plays he's capable of.

We learned that a couple of the rooks look like keepers. Moats for sure though he still has a ways to go. Kid makes plays.

We learned that Roscoe can play the slot. Too bad his season was cut short, seeing him for 16 games would have been nice. I'm not sure if this is a learning or not...but it was also confirmed that he is our best punt return option.

What positive learnings am I missing?

The list if negatives will be left to another...

We learned that Fitz is a bonified starter at best, a worthy caretaker at worst, depending on your point of view. Trent Edwards is now thankfully in the rear view mirror. In that regard we also learned that a competent QB can make a suspect O-line look decent.

We learned that S. Johnson is a #1 receiver at best, or a #2 at worst. Some might think that a solid #2 is still too far of a leap, but, this season was his first real opportunity to get on the field and make plays. I hope that he continues to improve his game, most importantly the mental aspect. Let's see him focus 100% of the time on the field whether practice or game. I don't like the antics, but I'll certainly overlook them if he makes the plays he's capable of.

We learned that a couple of the rooks look like keepers. Moats for sure though he still has a ways to go. Kid makes plays.

We learned that Roscoe can play the slot. Too bad his season was cut short, seeing him for 16 games would have been nice. I'm not sure if this is a learning or not...but it was also confirmed that he is our best punt return option.

What positive learnings am I missing?

The list if negatives will be left to another...

Spiller is a better punt returner than Roscoe.

Spiller is a better punt returner than Roscoe.

That's your opinion which is fine. I did see some pretty fair catches from Spiller. He may be the most talented, but that doesn't make him the best (poor decisions, inability to hang onto the ball).

I think we learned (again) that the game is won and lost up front. I like the middle of our O-line, but we need to improve at tackle. And I think we learned that we need some bona fide DEs.

I think we learned that DBs are only as opportunistic as their pass rush.

I think we learned that Kyle Williams is the real deal and can finally get us past the stigma that "high motor guy" usually means "mediocre".

I think we learned that Fred Jackson can be a featured back, but needs carries to get into the flow of the game (as so many other runners do in this league).

I think we learned that Chan might have been a good choice after all.

And, most importantly, I think that I learned that after a rough start, I could enjoy being a Bills fan again!

That's your opinion which is fine. I did see some pretty fair catches from Spiller. He may be the most talented, but that doesn't make him the best (poor decisions, inability to hang onto the ball).

Spiller - 14.6 average (34 long) on 12 returns, 8 fair catches

Parrish - 10.9 average (33 long) on 12 returns, 7 fair catches

Spiller's average would've put him 3rd in the NFL if he had enough returns. I think it's safe to say he's a better punt returner than Parrish (or at least was this year).

Spiller - 14.6 average (34 long) on 12 returns, 8 fair catches

Parrish - 10.9 average (33 long) on 12 returns, 7 fair catches

Spiller's average would've put him 3rd in the NFL if he had enough returns. I think it's safe to say he's a better punt returner than Parrish (or at least was this year).

I welcome your opinion as well. I go off what I see, not stats.

We learned so many things. Here are just a few:

1. Chan Gailey is a good offensive coordinator.

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick is an above average QB.

3. The Bills WRs are a decent group with the potential to be very good.

4. Kyle Williams is a pro-bowl caliber player.

5. Trent Edwards is not a starting NFL QB.

6. George Edwards is a below average defensive coordinator.

7. Marcus Stroud has nothing left in the tank and is not really a starting caliber player any more.

8. The Bills do not have a single player who is an above average pass rusher (with the exception of Williams who is above average for a DT).

9. Paul Posluszny is not stout against the run and is shaky in coverage.

10. Shawn Merriman was not healed when the Bills picked him up off of waivers.

11. Aaron Maybin is not an NFL caliber football player.